News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Across the Universe.

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#1Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 2:08am

Out of my own curiosity... if there were a Broadway production of Across the Universe, who would you cast in it?

I only have a few ideas...
Unknown- Jude
Orfeh- Sadie
Lea Michele- Prudence

Any ideas?

Can, can I have it?

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#2re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 2:11am

OH and I know there are other Across the Universe on Broadway threads but they aren't discussing casting.

Can, can I have it?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#2re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 2:16am

Weren't "Beatlemania" and "Lennon" enough?

This is the first and only film I've ever walked out of.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#3re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 2:21am

The film had its moments, basically anything not having to do with the main story line. But I really hope it doesn't go to Broadway, it just wouldn't work. I think it was something that could only be done on film to be effective and as is obvious, many people didn't feel that it was good in its first incarnation.

Mildred Plotka
#4re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 2:24am

I think it's safe to say, that after "Lennon", we won't be seeing anything Beatles related anytime soon. And the film didn't do well enough, financially or critically, to warrant what would ultimately be an expensive Broadway gamble.

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#5re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 2:41am

I will accept nobody (and I do mean nobody) as Sadie except Dana Fuchs. She is the only Sadie for me.

The same probably goes for T.V. Carpio as Prudence for that matter. Although she probably won't be making any quick return to Broadway soon.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#6re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 2:43am

please no. dont' give Julie Taymor any other bad ideas...

SPIDERMAN is more than enough.

jimmycurry01
#7re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 4:31pm

Is Spiderman still happening? If so, the reviews for that train wreck will be an amusing read.

Trekkie2
#8re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 7:56pm

NO! It won't happen anyway. Spiderman won't succeed, Across the Universe flopped as a film, so she won't be able to attract producers.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Mildred Plotka
#9re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 11:04pm

It's Spiderman, U2, and Taymor. Despite what you think about the absurdity, and I'm there with you, of this project, I think it will appeal to a lot of non-Broadway people (who I imagine are their target audience).

snl89
#10re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/1/08 at 11:16pm

I'm...kind of on the fense about the idea of an Across the Universe musical. Lord knows it's one of my favorite movies ever, and imo one of the most BRILLIANT movies ever made. But I feel like.. a lot of what made it so brilliant was all of the special effects and artistry that went into it. There are certain scenes in the movie that they'd just never be able to recreate on stage.

SOME scenes would be pretty cool on stage, but there's just too much that was made specifically for the screen. Like... certain parts of I Want You/She's So Heavy, ALL of Strawberry Fields Forever... and others. Those are just things that would not be nearly as cool on stage. They COULDN'T be. Because what's on the screen is.. art. Even with the most awesome sets and lighting effects, you can't quite recreate that live.

On the other hand, certain parts WOULD be great live. But I'm really too partial to let them make the changes necessary for it to transfer well to stage I think.

But if they WERE to do it, I'd pretty much require the same cast as in the movie. Honestly, why cast other people? They're all MORE than good enough to hold their own live. (Ok, so Evan Rachel Wood may be... a taaad bit on the fence, but I think she would probably do fine). I just think it'd be ridiculous to have other people. Why have Lea Michelle as Prudence when you can just have TV Carpio (who was doing Broadway before she did the movie anyway)? Why have Orfeh as Sadie when you can have Dana Fuchs (I honestly can't imagine anyone else as Sadie anyway- the role was quite litterally MADE for her)? And why have another unkown as Jude when you can have friggin Jim Sturgess?? :P (besides, he himself was pretty much unknown before AtU came out!)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 8/1/08 at 11:16 PM

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#11re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/2/08 at 12:15am

hah wow you really do ramble. re: Across the Universe.

I think people are considering other people since the movie cast might not have time since they are working movie actors. Especially ERW since she is in many projects. Also just because they sang for the movie doesn't mean that their voices are strong enough for 8 times a week. Some people just don't want to do Broadway.

I would want Dana to do it but I think Caren Lyn Manuel or Karmine Alers could be fantastic as Sadie too.

ruprecht Profile Photo
ruprecht
#12re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/2/08 at 10:07am

Not that this will ever happen but take my word for it, if any of you had seen Orfeh in Love, Janis you'd never mention Dana Fuchs again.

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#13re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/2/08 at 12:10pm

I can actually imagine that quite well. I think she wold be fantastic as well.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#14re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/3/08 at 8:21am

"If so, the reviews for that train wreck will be an amusing read."

Really? I didn't know you can call a musical a train wreck when it doesn't even exist yet.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

sundaymorning6am
#15re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/3/08 at 10:51am

I saw Orfeh in Love, Janis, she was amazing, of course.... I'd LOVE to see her as Sadie! But Dana is fantastic as well...

MimiLovesBroadway Profile Photo
MimiLovesBroadway
#16re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/3/08 at 12:16pm

Orfeh would be amazing as Sadie and I love ATU but at the same time, I don't think it would work on stage. The best part of it (apart from the fantastic music of the Beatles) is all the visual effects, a lot of which would not work on stage and it wouldn't be that great.

~One day, both of you will need my sympathies and will I be there...probably." - Robin De Jesus In The Heights

trav08 Profile Photo
trav08
#17re: Across the Universe.
Posted: 8/3/08 at 8:54pm

I think Orfeh would be perfect as Sadie. I agree the trippy visual were a highlight of the movie and would not be translated well on stage.

But it could make a cool show in Vegas.

"right up here is where i store the juice."

Videos