News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 120

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2975Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/7/23 at 11:09am

Dylis Croman is coming in as Roxie this weekend for 5 shows.  (last time I saw her was  in Houston in 2019.)  

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 7/7/23 at 11:09 AM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#2976Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/7/23 at 10:23pm

Need to see her this weekend. My fave. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2977Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/8/23 at 8:41am

They should have had Dylis do a long stint as Roxie this summer instead of just random one week/weekend fill-ins. 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#2978Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/8/23 at 9:08am

Ate there any discounts floating around? 

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2979Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/8/23 at 3:36pm

Skip23 said: "Ate there any discounts floating around?"

Typically it’s on TKTS for 50% off

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2980Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/9/23 at 8:45am

Skip23 said: "Ate there any discounts floating around?"

Both Playbill and BroadwayBox.com have a code available. Chicago always has a discount code floating around somewhere and is always up at TKTS.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2981Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/9/23 at 2:08pm

Christine Cornish is playing Velma today at 2:00 p.m. opposite Dylis Croman (Roxie).

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2982Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/9/23 at 2:36pm

ACL2006 said: "They should have had Dylis do a long stint as Roxie this summer instead of just random one week/weekend fill-ins."

I agree, though considering how often Charlotte has been Roxie these past few years (aside from the occasional guest stint), maybe she has an arrangement where she has right of first refusal to return to the role 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2983Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/9/23 at 2:54pm

quizking101 said: "ACL2006 said: "They should have had Dylis do a long stint as Roxie this summer instead of just random one week/weekend fill-ins."

I agree, though considering how often Charlotte has been Roxie these past few years (aside from the occasional guest stint), maybe she has an arrangement where she has right of first refusal to return to the role
"

Charlotte D'Amboise recently visited Eric Bergen to see "Dial M For Murder" at the Bay Street Theater.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#2984Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/9/23 at 11:04pm

Saw Dylis's last perf this weekend.

It's a chillier, more cerebral CHICAGO and the damn thing is STILL one of the best shows on Broadway.  Funny how great songs can really carry a musical.  What a concept!!!

They're all playing it more "real", still hitting the comedy but the performances are less broad and a bit starker.  It works!  Sure Dylis is a replacement for D'Amboise for a few days, but her performance feels well rehearsed and she is toned down and very true.  And it's a valid choice for Roxie.  (In fact, she has a bit of Zellweger in her perf).   Ryan Silverman is a more sinister, shadier Billy.  Great!  Evan Harrington plays a dim, but very human Amos.  A great choice again.  There are some miscasts but the show manages to rise above them.  

The dancers continue to astound.  Of course the choreography is brilliant, but the dancers are stunningly sharp, perfect in timing and some of the sexiest bodies/personalities I've seen.  What a treat!

I've seen all the current shows and this is one of my faves...still...

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2985Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/11/23 at 8:59pm

https://youtu.be/RXCg7yj5Tuo   I don't know the name of this particular Roxie.  It seems like a South Korean production.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2986Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/15/23 at 9:09pm

Barrett Martin will play the role of Billy Flynn this coming Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.   

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2987Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/15/23 at 9:15pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Barrett Martin will play the role of Billy Flynn this coming Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2988Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/16/23 at 8:26am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Barrett Martin will play the role of Billy Flynn this coming Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. "

"

Billy Flynn understudy

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2989Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/16/23 at 3:38pm

J. London will be Amos Hart next Sunday (July 23), Monday (July 24) and Tuesday (July 25).  https://www.facebook.com/541732952/videos/815697716837399/

Theatrefan2
#2990Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/22/23 at 1:56am

When do we think its likely the next cast will be announced? I'm tempted to see it early October but I'm reluctant to book without knowing the cast incase it's some poor stunt cast.

Also, I watched the Bryant Park performance, was it just a bad performance or is that what the current velma is usually like? It seemed very subdued without much power 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2991Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/22/23 at 8:32am

The "new" cast should be announced next month. They only give a more advanced casting announcement when a name is coming into the show.

Also, Ryan Silverman has been out of the show for two weeks now. Jeff Gorti is Billy Flynn all weekend.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#2992Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/22/23 at 2:25pm

Theatrefan2 said: "Also, I watched the Bryant Park performance, was it just a bad performance or is that what the current velma is usually like? It seemed very subdued without much power"

That performance of 'All That Jazz' was totally unacceptable in my opinion. Probably the worst rendition of that song I've ever heard from this production.

Theatrefan2
#2993Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/22/23 at 2:52pm

FANtomFollies said: "Theatrefan2 said: "Also, I watched the Bryant Park performance, was it just a bad performance or is that what the current velma is usually like? It seemed very subdued without much power"

That performance of 'All That Jazz' was totally unacceptable in my opinion. Probably the worst rendition of that song I've ever heard from this production.
"

Glad it wasn't just me. I thought with no stunt casting the show would have have quality braodway talent. But the performances, especially all that jazz, have put me off seeing it.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2994Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/23/23 at 1:45pm

Angel Reda is playing Roxie Hart, at least for the early show.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2995Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/23/23 at 6:01pm

Presenting "The Harts": Roxie (Angel Reda) and Amos (J. London)  https://www.facebook.com/541732952/videos/273940438581291/

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2996Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/4/23 at 10:49pm

I noticed on the Playbill Vault for Chicago that Nicole Benoit is listed as a Roxie Hart understudy, along with Angel Reda.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2997Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/5/23 at 12:08am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I noticed on the Playbill Vault for Chicago that Nicole Benoit is listed as a Roxie Hart understudy, along with Angel Reda."

Nicole's covering Jessica Ernest this week as Go-To-Hell Kitty. Dani Spieler also recently left the show.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2998Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/6/23 at 3:32am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7IKbtcdgUJ0

Jasmine was one of the best 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#2999Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/6/23 at 3:18pm

JBradshaw said: "https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7IKbtcdgUJ0

Jasmine was one of the best
"

Jasmine Guy was my third favorite Velma.  Chita, Bebe, Jasmine.  Loved huh!  "That was MY bit!"

Videos