News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

David Burtka

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#50re: David Burtka
Posted: 5/18/04 at 2:36pm

See what happens when I take time away from my computer?

I miss the return of Bdwyguy2.

Where the f*ck have you been, ya nelly little boy?

re: David Burtka

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#51re: David Burtka
Posted: 5/18/04 at 5:56pm

Boot camp.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Broadwaylilhead Profile Photo
Broadwaylilhead
#52re: David Burtka
Posted: 5/18/04 at 6:01pm

Is that David's boyfriend in the picture? I mean I know he likes them young but....

just kidding :)

Call it a regime change...

broadwayguy2
#53re: David Burtka
Posted: 5/18/04 at 6:01pm

In the BARE and Hairspray dressing rooms......

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#54re: David Burtka
Posted: 5/18/04 at 11:06pm

This board is turning into the tabloids. Ugh!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

burtkafan Profile Photo
burtkafan
#55re: David Burtka
Posted: 11/15/04 at 12:42pm

Has anyone seen the Army commercials currently running? I swear David Burtka is in those, gorgeous as always. I once saw an article where he was filming something similar.

Leadingplayer
#56re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 1:17am

What is he up to nowadays? Been a while since he has been in a show.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#57re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 2:21am

I thought he sucked in GYPSY
listen to the CD

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#58re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 2:45am

The problem is - and I speak from having seen him in both GYPSY and OPPOSITE OF SEX - the boy has all the stage presence of a paper plate. Some people need to learn the difference between "talent" and "looks."

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 4/6/06 at 02:45 AM

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#59re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 3:35am

I agree, he wasn't very impressive in Gypsy

Leadingplayer
#60re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 5:42am

be nice!

and is anybody ever impressive as Tulsa? Kind of a dull role.

How was the guy who played the role opposite Tyne Daly?
Where is he nowadays?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#61re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:18am

Bob Lambert played Tulsa in the Tyne Daly revival of Gypsy. He was very good, and I still remember his performance. On the other hand, I really don't remember David Burtka at all.

Currently, Bob is assistant casting director (extras and u/5's)over at All My Children.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 4/6/06 at 07:18 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#62re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:28am

David Burtka is quite the on-stage talent. He received the Clarence Derwent Award for his performance in The Play About The Baby. And don't judge his Gypsy performance by the CD. The role of Tulsa is about dance. You don't need to have to most amazing voice in the world, but personally, I think David has a wonderful voice. I thought he was adorable and charming as Tulsa. I hope he comes back to the stage soon. Did anyone see him in the film 24 Nights? What a sweet performance.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#63re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:10am

David Burtka's casting as Tulsa was inspired because Burtka actually is NOT a great singer and dancer.

Mendes approached the character the same way he approached his interpretation of Sally Bowles - somebody with big dreams in their head who probably wouldn't ever become a "big star." But it gave the character a kind of endearing accessibility, particularly for Louise's character. Their interaction during the "All I need" number was even more heartbreaking, because you could see Louise get caught up for a split second in the notion that she and Tulsa perhaps really COULD have an act together, and that she wouldn't be just a substitute for a broom handle.

It was a great choice, that I don't think a lot of people "got." Burtka is a wonderful actor and he made the most of the role.

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#64re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:27am

He was hanging around the Menier Chocolate Factory a lot last summer while tick, tick BOOM! was on.... starring Neil Patrick Harris. Make of thwat what you will re: David Burtka

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#65re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:32am

I saw David Burtka in the NY premiere production of Albee's "The Play about the Baby". He gave a tour-de-force performance. His naked scene didn't hurt either...uh humm

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#66re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 1:56pm

Five minutes after I walked out of the Mendes GYPSY, I didn't remember Burtka.

Eighteen years after the Laurents GYPSY, I remember Lambert. That is presence and talent.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

#67re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 1:59pm

I thought he was just "eh" in THE OPPOSITE OF SEX in SF a few years ago.

He's perdy, and that's about it.

Pinaud Profile Photo
Pinaud
#68re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 2:20pm

Well Mrkringas, the two of them have been together for a while now.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#69re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 2:32pm

They make a hot couple.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

jarretSF Profile Photo
jarretSF
#70re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 3:04pm

They do make a hot couple - glad to hear they are still together. My partner leased the apartments to the cast of Opposite of Sex here in San Francisco and most of them were delightful people. David's shirtless scenes didn't hurt either.

Some people come into our lives and quietly go, others stay a while, and leave footprints on our heart, and we are never the same.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#71re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 3:37pm

Another vote for Lambert as best Tulsa I've seen. Burtka? Not even close.
And it wasnt about singing and dancing. I would've run away with him too...like June.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#72re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 3:45pm

Why did The Play About the Baby never come to Broadway?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

MargoChanning
#73re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 3:56pm

There just isn't much of an audience for serious theatre anymore on or off-Broadway -- especially for a very avant garde Albee play. The Goat never broke even on Broadway despite the Tony for Best play and even Virginia Woolf with Kathleen Turner lost most of its investment. As it was, The Play About the Baby only had a 7 month run at the rather modest-sized (299 seats) Century Center Off-Broadway. It would have been a major flop on Broadway and probably wouldn't have lasted more than a month or two.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 4/6/06 at 03:56 PM

BSoBW2
#74re: David Burtka
Posted: 4/6/06 at 3:59pm

Now, I know I read THE PLAY ABOUT THE BABY.
I can't recall when or where or why.
But I know I enjoyed it.

Videos