News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#200Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 2:52pm

Sutton Ross said: "Oh Valentina. You know what's also "not that hard"? You skipping our posts all together. Just scroll right by. Trying to control people on the internet is the most adorable thing ever, though.

Now, let's proceed, shall we?

Yeah you're right. You would've thought with stars like Vanessa Hudgens and Pippa Soo (who are pretty well known stars in their own right would've been able to keep a show going)

Vanessa is a star in film and television. She is very well known. Now, I love ALL of Steven Pasquale's choices in terms of people he marries (haha). But, Pippa had done very little before Hamilton, and just because she was in it doesn't mean that she can leave the show and suddenly be a huge star in a musical. She is lovely and talented so I don't think she was the problem with that show, apparently it just sucked over here, while the UK version was so much better.
"

Do you think Pippa Soo will return to Broadway or live action productions? I'm surprised to see Vanessa Hudgens gets more theatre related roles. Not to say she isn't talented but Pippa Soo's vocal range seems stronger. And plus, Soo was in a starring role in Hamilton, so you would think she would have became more of a breakout Broadway star. I didn't know Amelie did better in the UK though!

hearthemsing22
#201Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:00pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Sutton Ross said: "And no tourists consider them stars. Because they aren't. The general public under the age of50 knows nothingabout this musical and anyone who wants to support Beanie definitely won't know what the hell this musical is unless they are theater majors.

If they put this at the Broadway, it will close in less time than Bonnie and Clyde did.
"

I was thinking the same. It sounds good in retrospect but it'd close pretty fast without a well-known star onstage.
"

This implies every revival needs to have a well-known star to be successful? Before My Fair Lady I had no idea who Lauren Ambrose was. No idea what she’d been in. But there are people who will see the show merely because it’s FUNNY GIRL. Then they tell people how the show was, etc. You can NOT judge because you think Beanie wouldn’t sell tickets. That’s completely unfair. Lady Gaga doesn’t have to be on Broadway for this to be profitable (and honestly I don’t want her in this role). 

hearthemsing22
#202Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:02pm

Sutton Ross said: "Oh Valentina. You know what's also "not that hard"? You skipping our posts all together. Just scroll right by. Trying to control people on the internet is the most adorable thing ever, though.
Oh get over yourself. You can also be mindful and scroll past comments without being cruel. Leave them alone. 

Now, let's proceed, shall we?

Yeah you're right. You would've thought with stars like Vanessa Hudgens and Pippa Soo (who are pretty well known stars in their own right would've been able to keep a show going)

Vanessa is a star in film and television. She is very well known. Now, I love ALL of Steven Pasquale's choices in terms of people he marries (haha). But, Pippa had done very little before Hamilton, and just because she was in it doesn't mean that she can leave the show and suddenly be a huge star in a musical. She is lovely and talented so I don't think she was the problem with that show, apparently it just sucked over here, while the UK version was so much better."

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#203Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:03pm

I have no idea if it did better in the UK in terms of money, but it was better received. Pippa has lent her voice in several animated films, was in a short lived military show and next will be in Dopesick, about the opioid crisis. So, I think she is steering towards more film and tv work. 

Vanessa was an instant star when High School Musical came out. And she loves theater obviously, I thought she was a great Mimi in Rent and I actually enjoyed her a lot in Gigi

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#204Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:08pm

binau said: "I just don’t know the relevance of ‘female driven’ with box office success really - I’m not convinced that you could pick up any old show (or new show for that matter) and expect it to be a success unless you have a star or there are other factors at play. You could easily pick a whole host of recent ‘male driven’ shows that were also flops when there was no star: Tootsie, Spongebob, Beetlejuice, Carousel, Groundhog Day, Natasha, Fiddler revival (maybe?), On the Town, Something Rotten, Rocky, Chaplin etc. I just don’t see much correlation, especially because Broadway is an art form with a majority of female ticket buyers. Not to mention females often doing the best work and in the best roles :).

Funny Girl will likely flop unless they are lucky because like any revival without a star it’s going to be an uphill battle. And unlike the success of most revivals without stars I don’t think this show truly resonates well with wide audiences outside the performance and recordings of Barbara Streisand.

Maybe the show can take this unknown and make it an unmissable event If they can deliver the goods (I found her very very funny in Dolly). I’m skeptical they can though unless she is hiding one of the greatest voices ever heard on a stage. Otherwise is it really that special? Being funny won’t be good enough.
"

Completely agree. Definitely see Funny Girl drawing in older audiences and die hard fans of Barbara. And some people are just not familiar with Barbara's recordings (yes I know, dare I say). And I doubt they are hiding one of the greatest voices of our generation. She'll be fun and quirky and maybe a breakout star like they're hoping for, ultimately?

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#205Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:19pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Sutton Ross said: "And no tourists consider them stars. Because they aren't. The general public under the age of50 knows nothingabout this musical and anyone who wants to support Beanie definitely won't know what the hell this musical is unless they are theater majors.

If they put this at the Broadway, it will close in less time than Bonnie and Clyde did.
"

I was thinking the same. It sounds good in retrospect but it'd close pretty fast without a well-known star onstage.
"

This implies every revival needs to have a well-known star to be successful? Before My Fair Lady I had no idea who Lauren Ambrose was. No idea what she’d been in. But there are people who will see the show merely because it’s FUNNY GIRL. Then they tell people how the show was, etc. You can NOT judge because you think Beanie wouldn’t sell tickets. That’s completely unfair. Lady Gaga doesn’t have to be on Broadway for this to be profitable (and honestly I don’t want her in this role).
"

If people see the show simply because it's Funny Girl, so be it. And if they enjoy it, I'm glad for them. In no way am I trying to pull people away from seeing FUNNY GIRL. I am not a fan of the potential casting, is all, and I do not believe Beanie would sell tickets because she is not well known. Lauren Ambrose won two SAG awards and is Emmy nominated, Beanie was nominated for one Golden Globe Award and I assume might be using FUNNY GIRL as a breakout role. 

Like previous posters have said, Lady Gaga is more likely to act in a live action FUNNY GIRL. Or if she wants a Tony one day, finally, come to Broadway like some of us have been wanting. 

Sutton Ross
#206Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:22pm

Lauren Ambrose is talented though with a gorgeous voice. That's the difference. 

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#207Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:32pm

Sutton Ross said: "I have no idea if it did better in the UK in terms of money, but it was better received. Pippa has lent hervoice inseveral animated films, was in a short lived military show and next will be in Dopesick, about the opioid crisis. So, I think she is steering towards more film and tv work.

Vanessa was an instant star when High School Musical came out. And she loves theater obviously, I thought she was a great Mimi in Rent and I actually enjoyed her a lot in Gigi.
"

I know Pippa was in Moana and Over The Moon. I didn't know about Dopesick! Maybe she wants more of a career with Disney nowadays? 

I feel like if Rent is revived on Broadway, Vanessa (or Renee Elise Goldsberry, but I feel like she's becoming too big for Broadway) would be a great choice as Mimi. As much as I'd love to see Gigi again, I doubt it would return (unless through a limited engagement). 

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#208Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:36pm

Sutton Ross said: "Lauren Ambrose is talented though with a gorgeous voice. That's the difference."

And there we have it.

Sutton Ross
#209Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:42pm

Renee was the best Mimi Ive ever seen. That entire closing cast of Rent on Broadway was perfection. I watch it several times a year. But, she is 50 now so playing Mimi is not an option for her anymore. If they do a Rent revival (too soon?) Vanessa would be a great Mimi. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#210Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:54pm

Based on your wording, I can't tell whether or not you're aware that Vanessa Hudgens has actually already played Mimi 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1vGzIszO8k

I thought she was delightful in Gigi

To quote RENT: How did we get here? Lol - Maybe we need a dedicated thread for Vanessa Hudgens dream-casting. An underrated talent! 

Sutton Ross
#211Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 3:59pm

Based on these words you cannot figure it out?

Vanessa was an instant star when High School Musical came out. And she loves theater obviously, I thought she was a great Mimi in Rent and I actually enjoyed her a lot in Gigi."

K. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#212Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 4:02pm

Oops! Missed that post! My apologies - the wording I was referring to was "If they do a Rent revival (too soon?) Vanessa would be a great Mimi." 

Sorry, I'm having trouble keeping up with the thread. 

Sutton Ross
#213Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 4:04pm

I will clarify: She was amazing as Mimi at the Hollywood Bowl with Aaron. One of the best times attending theater ever.

Luna and I were talking about Broadway productions of Rent, which she has never done. 

This thread is whirlwind, I have to admit! 

Claudia Draper
#214Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 4:09pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#215Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 4:09pm

Sutton Ross said: "Renee was the best Mimi Ive ever seen. That entire closing cast of Rent on Broadway was perfection. I watch it several times a year. But, she is 50 now so playing Mimi is not an option for her anymore. If they do a Rent revival (too soon?) Vanessa would be a great Mimi."

I know me too!!! Some casts I wish I could've seen live and that's one of them. I don't think it's too soon for a RENT revival. Is it ever too soon? lol And plus, they just brought Waitress back after it recently closed. I'd love to see Vanessa or Jasmine Cephas Jones. 

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#216Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 4:16pm

JBroadway said: "Based on your wording, I can't tell whether or not you're aware that Vanessa Hudgens has actually already played Mimi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1vGzIszO8k

I thought she was delightful in Gigi

To quote RENT: How did we get here? Lol - Maybe we need a dedicated thread for Vanessa Hudgens dream-casting. An underrated talent!
"

LOL. I actually agree!! I tried to google Rent Musical fan castings but couldn't find anything. Funny Girl 2022 Revival To be honest, I'd love to see Vanessa come back to Broadway in anything (even Gigi!) (which I'd undoubtedly buy tickets for) Such an underrated talent! 

She just performed as Vanessa from In The Heights at the Kennedy Center. I feel like if they revived In The Heights it would actually draw in audiences (to be honest, it's so much more fun than Hamilton?). We need a Vanessa Hudgens dream casting thread on here though!

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#217Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 4:22pm

I had never heard of Beanie until this thread. Let’s hope she is spectacular in this revival.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#218Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 4:27pm

Sutton Ross said: "I will clarify: She was amazing as Mimi at the Hollywood Bowl with Aaron. One of the best times attending theater ever.

Luna and I were talking about Broadway productions of Rent, which she has never done.

This thread is whirlwind, I have to admit!
"

This thread really is!

I'd definitely love to see Vanessa perform live one day. Imagine in Thelma and Louise: the musical? (for something up-and-coming?)

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#219Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 4:30pm

Barbra returns to the Winter Garden

Non sibi sed patriae

Dolly80
#220Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 4:32pm

Even though Mayer is involved, this is essentially a new production and NOT a the London one, this will have a new (American) design team. So it still might end up being the big lavish version we all need!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#221Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 4:49pm

Dolly80 said: "Even though Mayer is involved, this is essentially a new production and NOT a the London one, this will have a new (American) design team. So it still might end up being the big lavish version we all need!"

Thanks! You have this from an inside source, I gather? 

If that's the case, then as I said above, it will be a rare (but not unheard of) instance of a director doing an all-new production of the same material within a short amount of time. Even so, Michael Mayer's style doesn't scream "lavish Golden Age classic" any way you cut it. So it's a bit odd that they'd bring him back for a brand new production.

If they liked his work in London, why not transfer it? And if they didn't like his work in London, why not hire a director like Bartlett Sher who has a proven track record for old-school revivals? Unless they want Michael Mayer to lean more into his usual style by doing something a bit more trendy and modern in sensibilities, but that approach doesn't seem intuitive for a show like Funny Girl. 

Dolly80
#222Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 5:04pm

JBroadway said: "Dolly80 said: "Even though Mayer is involved, this is essentially a new production and NOT a the London one, this will have a new (American) design team. So it still might end up being the big lavish version we all need!"

If that's the case, then as I said above, it will be a rare (but not unheard of) instance of a director doing an all-new production of the same material within a short amount of time. Even so, Michael Mayer's style doesn't scream "lavish Golden Age classic" any way you cut it. So it's a bit odd that they'd bring him back for a brand new production.

If they liked his work in London, why not transfer it? And if they didn't like his work in London, why not hire a director like Bartlett Sher who has a proven track record for old-school revivals? Unless they want Michael Mayer to lean more into his usual style by doing something a bit more trendy and modern in sensibilities, but that approach doesn't seem intuitive for a show like Funny Girl.
"

i do indeed. Everyone needs to stop panicking. Well maybe still panic over the casting!

Mayer might very well have a good relationship with the rights holders / Producers . Who knows.

Updated On: 8/9/21 at 05:04 PM

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#223Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 5:11pm

Dolly80 said: "JBroadway said: "Dolly80 said: "Even though Mayer is involved, this is essentially a new production and NOT a the London one, this will have a new (American) design team. So it still might end up being the big lavish version we all need!"

"

i do indeed. Everyone needs to stop panicking. Well maybe still panic over the casting!

Mayer might very well have a good relationship with the rights holders / Producers . Who knows.

"

Ah! Without revealing anything, are you personally excited and/or confident in the production/casting of FUNNY GIRL so far?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#224Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 5:35pm

JBroadway said: "
In any case, I don't think she would've been be the next Fanny Brice in 2021.Even before the 2020 scandal, I don't think shehadthe box office power today that she did 5 years ago."

Now that I read this, I realize you're right.

Videos