News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Funny Girl 2022 Revival- Page 10

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#225Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 5:44pm

Valentina3 said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Sutton Ross said: "Correct. And just New Yorkers cannot keep a show open."

Absolutely. As much as I hate to say, but female driven shows (besides Wicked) never last too long on Broadway. Amelie and Gigi, for example, so I wonder about Funny Girl's longevity.
"

Huh? We have hadquite a fewfemale-centered shows with quite healthy runs in the last couple decades alone. You picking 2 example (or even 10) does not represent a box-office trend. Of the top of my head The Color Purple, Waitress, Next To Normal, and Fun Home had some of the longest runs in new musicals. There were ~15other shows which also debuted and closed the same year Amelie & Gigi came out. At the end of the day, good material is what survives (not always, obviously).

I came to this thread mostly to remindy'allthat you are really not personally getting anything by being horrible on this online chatboard. Not exactly sure why you have to endlessly discuss things you know very little, or nothing about, based on god knows what with the level of confidence which would embarass even the actual creative teams on these shows.And it is somean spirited towards people you don't know at all. Did Ben Platt dump you? Did Beanie bully you in high school? Whycan't you just be respectful. Give your thoughts and reasons for not liking someone's work, but just try to stop short of personal attacks. It is NOT that hard.
"

A fool dispensing their "wisdom": it's always fun.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#226Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 5:47pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "But there are people who will see the show merely because it’s FUNNY GIRL."

No, no there aren't.

VintageSnarker
#227Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 7:56pm

Jessie is great. Shoshana is great. I would absolutely love to see an actress like that cast as the alternate. But thinking about Beanie or Christina Bianco, I definitely see the appeal of someone who is so different from Barbra. It's difficult to not make comparisons otherwise and to not think it doesn't sound quite right. It would even be interesting to see someone lean into a more old-fashioned vocal style like Adrienne Warren in Shuffle Along.

I hated Lauren Ambrose in My Fair Lady. At least at the show I saw, she was dead-eyed and struggling through the songs until she could get to the book scenes. Laura Benanti was far superior and I actually understood what they were trying to do with the production when I saw her in the role. 

VintageSnarker
#228Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:09pm

JBroadway said: "But you're right - doing a Lea Michele Funny Girl right after Glee would've been a no brainer. Many people genuinely expected it to happen. Maybe the industry rumors of her behavior behind the scenes are what prevented it from happening. Maybe it's less about the public controversy, and more that people just didn't want to work with her."

I still love her performances of "Don't Rain on My Parade" and "My Man" but I think the way she handled the comedy songs in that unfortunate final season were enough to tank any excitement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm5YibsjETA&ab_channel=GleeScenes

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#229Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:14pm

I also think Rachel Bloom would be wonderful. But again does she have that needed box office draw?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#230Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:17pm

Maybe Mayer himself wants to go in a different direction. We'll see!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#231Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:18pm

Rachel Bloom is great but her show on the CW had some of the lowest ratings ever. People know of her and she loves Broadway though, so who knows? 

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#232Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:29pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I also think Rachel Bloom would be wonderful. But again does she have that needed box office draw?"

I highly doubt Rachel Bloom but who knows with Dolly's earlier comment over not to panic about the casting? Hmm. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#233Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:46pm

I highly doubt it too. Was just thinking of people with any sort of name recognition who are right for the role and you can count them on one hand.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#234Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:57pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I also think Rachel Bloom would be wonderful. But again does she have that needed box office draw?"

I highly doubt Rachel Bloom but who knows with Dolly's earlier comment over not to panic about the casting? Hmm.
"

Potential casting? Jessica Vosk tweeted this and BW liked it. 

https://twitter.com/JessicaVosk/status/1424045043065757702?s=19

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#235Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 9:06pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I also think Rachel Bloom would be wonderful. But again does she have that needed box office draw?"

"

Potential casting? Jessica Vosk tweeted this and BW liked it.

https://twitter.com/JessicaVosk/status/1424045043065757702?s=19
"

Another tweet-hint from Jessica about the potential

https://twitter.com/JessicaVosk/status/1423078979506954242?s=19

Scott Stephen
#236Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 9:14pm

Vosk would be brilliant. She has my vote for Fanny.

52889j
#237Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 9:24pm

This is the 2018 Eliza Doolittle panic all over again.

James Kerrigan2
#238Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 10:39pm

Jessica Vosk or Idina Menzel would be incredible. I don't think Beanie Feldstein would do well in this role. 

BCfitasafiddle
#239Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 11:11pm

52889j said: "This is the 2018 Eliza Doolittle panic all over again."

Oh, God. What a time.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#240Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 11:12pm

52889j said: "This is the 2018 Eliza Doolittle panic all over again."

No lie but at least that ended with Laura Benanti being casted.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#241Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 11:14pm

James Kerrigan2 said: "Jessica Vosk or Idina Menzel would be incredible. I don't think Beanie Feldstein would do well in this role."

Completely agree! I'm definitely hoping for Jessica Vosk.

orlikethecolorpurple
#242Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 11:34pm

I’m not terribly familiar with Vosk, but just watched a video of her doing Don’t Rain on my Parade and vocals like that should be required for Fanny. That song should always be thrilling.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#243Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 12:08am

Why is a tired old show like The Music Man a sell out success? Hugh Jackman. [Dolly, Midler].

Funny Girl is in the same boat--needs a HUGE Star

Dolly80
#244Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 2:33am

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Dolly80 said: "JBroadway said: "Dolly80 said: "Even though Mayer is involved, this is essentially a new production and NOT a the London one, this will have a new (American) design team. So it still might end up being the big lavish version we all need!"

Thanks! You have this from an inside source, I gather?

If that's the case, then as I said above, it will be a rare (but not unheard of) instance of a director doing an all-new production of the same material within a short amount of time. Even so, Michael Mayer's style doesn't scream "lavish Golden Age classic" any way you cut it. So it's a bit odd that they'd bring him back for a brand new production.

If they liked his work in London, why not transfer it? And if they didn't like his work in London, why not hire a director like Bartlett Sher who has a proven track record for old-school revivals? Unless they want Michael Mayer to lean more into his usual style by doing something a bit more trendy and modern in sensibilities, but that approach doesn't seem intuitive for a show like Funny Girl.
"

i do indeed. Everyone needs to stop panicking. Well maybe still panic over the casting!

Mayer might very well have a good relationship with the rights holders / Producers . Who knows.

"

Ah! Without revealing anything, are you personally excited and/or confidentin the production/casting of FUNNY GIRL so far?
"

I’m trying to find out casting but no luck so far. 
I agree with others though- without a big star name, this revival will tank, and Beanie F would be a big mistake on that front.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#245Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 7:00am

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "52889j said: "This is the 2018 Eliza Doolittle panic all over again."

"

I will fight 'casted' becoming a word until my dying day. Cast, not casted.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#246Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 10:25am

Smaxie said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "52889j said: "This is the 2018 Eliza Doolittle panic all over again."

"

I will fight 'casted' becoming a word until my dying day. Cast, not casted.

"

Ok it's just a simple autocorrect error. :)

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#247Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 10:32am

SweetLips22 said: "Why is a tired old show like The Music Man a sell out success? Hugh Jackman. [Dolly, Midler].

Funny Girl is in the same boat--needs a HUGE Star
"

Mainly because it has a "huge" celebrity name on the marquee right now. I personally wouldn't consider Hugh Jackman a huge star as I was more interested in seeing Sutton Foster perform but people probably will only see Music Man because of Jackman sadly.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#248Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 10:36am

Dolly80 said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Dolly80 said: "JBroadway said: "Dolly80 said: "Even though Mayer is involved, this is essentially a new production and NOT a the London one, this will have a new (American) design team. So it still might end up being the big lavish version we all need!"

Thanks! You have this from an inside source, I gather?

If that's the case, then as I said above, it will be a rare (but not unheard of) instance of a director doing an all-new production of the same material within a short amount of time. Even so, Michael Mayer's style doesn't scream "lavish Golden Age classic" any way you cut it. So it's a bit odd that they'd bring him back for a brand new production.

If they liked his work in London, why not transfer it? And if they didn't like his work in London, why not hire a director like Bartlett Sher who has a proven track record for old-school revivals? Unless they want Michael Mayer to lean more into his usual style by doing something a bit more trendy and modern in sensibilities, but that approach doesn't seem intuitive for a show like Funny Girl.
"

i do indeed. Everyone needs to stop panicking. Well maybe still panic over the casting!

Mayer might very well have a good relationship with the rights holders / Producers . Who knows.

"

Ah! Without revealing anything, are you personally excited and/or confidentin the production/casting of FUNNY GIRL so far?
"

I’m trying to find out casting but no luck so far.
I agree with others though- without a big star name, this revival will tank, and Beanie F would be a big mistake on that front."

Thanks for letting us know! Yep, totally agreed. Beanie F is in no way a bad actress (she's incredibly talented) but to me, too soon for a big role like Funny Girl. I'm surprised casting is so tight lipped so far.

SouthernCakes
#249Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 1:20pm

I get we are being dramatic but the My Fair Lady casting seems to be eerily familiar. We got Ambrose, who wasn’t great. She strained to sing those songs - great in the book scenes though. But we eventually got Broadway perfection with Benanti. So sounds like we are headed in the same direction. I wouldn’t consider Ambrose a “name” on the level of Jackman or Midler. But she’s done some stuff. Same with Beanie. So maybe we get a Beanie and then a Shoshana. And that’s fine.

Videos