News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill

Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#1Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/16/16 at 11:11pm

Andrew Jackson will be replaced on $20. Never thought a Broadway Musical could influence government decisions. 

Has there ever been another Broadway show that influenced a government decision?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/16/news/economy/jack-lew-hamilton-10-bill/index.html

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Updated On: 4/16/16 at 11:11 PM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#2Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/16/16 at 11:55pm

Jackson is a much better choice. He's known first for routing the British in the Battle of New Orleans, the last battle of The War of 1812, which actually occurred after a peace treaty had been signed in Europe, but before anybody in the New World knew about it.

More infamously, as President he defied an order of the Supreme Court and forced the relocation of 15,000 Cherokees from their home lands in the Southeast to barren Oklahoma (No offense, Okies. Any state that could give us Kristin Chenoweth and Kelli O'Hara is just fine). Since they didn't have any good airports in Oklahoma yet, the Cherokees had to walk, and 4000 died along the way. Called the "Trail of Tears."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/16/16 at 11:59pm

It would be weird for the treasury to get rid of the first treasurer.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#4Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 12:16am

What would have happened if Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson had succeeded on Broadway?

Call_me_jorge
#5Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 12:17am

Benjamin walker wouldn't be in American psycho

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#6Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 12:29am

"Has there ever been another Broadway show that influenced a government decision?"

I have it on good authority that several states banned the burning of witches after local lawmakers saw productions of The Crucible.  Fear of such influence is why the show is banned in North Carolina and Mississippi.

EdBroadway5
#7Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 12:32am

As far as I'm concerned, removing Andrew Jackson from the $20.00 bill is way overdue.  His stance on the Indian population is totally indefensible and runs counter to the principles upon which our nation was created.  Shame on America for keeping him there as long as it has.  I don't care how many battles he won, he was totally despicable.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#8Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 12:43am

That's a much better choice, honestly. None of our founding fathers were without significant flaws, but Jackson was a genocidal maniac and given the historical treatment of Native Americans by his administration, it's shameful to have his face on one of the most widely-circulated bills in the country. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#9Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 12:51am

What bill will President Trump end up on?

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#10Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 1:06am

It would have been ludicrous to remove Hamilton on the 20 irregardless of the musical that happened to premiere just as this discussion was being made. 

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

trpguyy
#11Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 6:17am

Hamilton is on the 10. 

"Irregardless" is not a word. "Regardless" already means without regard. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 6:48am

Call_me_jorge said: "Benjamin walker wouldn't be in American psycho

"

What does that mean?  You make it sound like a prison sentence.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ChiTheaterFan
#13Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 7:52am

To be fair, despite what the article says I think this is due only in minimal part to the show (if at all). There was a huge women on the 20s movement before the decision that Hamilton would be replaced on the $10 bill. There was quite an outcry when it was announced that Hamilton would be replaced instead, both as a result of Jackson's negative legacy in comparison to Hamilton, and the fact that putting a woman on the $10 bill is not nearly as significant as putting a woman on the $20 bill. (In light of the wage inequality discussion, there is an amount of irony in women asking for $20 and being given $10...)

I think the timing was more of a coincidence than anything because the decision to replace Hamilton was announced shortly after the show began on Broadway. 

10086sunset
#14Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 8:14am

ggersten said: "What would have happened if Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson had succeeded on Broadway?

"

He'd likely be staying on the twenty.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#15Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 8:19am

Actually I think that is pretty sad that government decision is being affected by popular culture.

JM226
#16Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 10:56am

i don't think there is any proof of that, though... 

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#17Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 11:26am

Well, it looks like any changes won't happen until 2030 anyway according to the article, so we'll be looking at Jackson for a while yet.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#18Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 2:14pm

yankeefan7 said: "Actually I think that is pretty sad that government decision is being affected by popular culture."

In what way would it be sad for the government to be affected by society / culture? it makes perfect sense actually.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Call_me_jorge
#19Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 2:18pm

sueb1863 said: "Well, it looks like any changes won't happen until 2030 anyway according to the article, so we'll be looking at Jackson for a while yet."

Why would it take that long? All it takes is to change the face to Harriet Tubman. Unless you mean to get all the 20 dollar bills to have the change.

aaaaaa15
#20Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 2:53pm

gypsy101 said: "yankeefan7 said: "Actually I think that is pretty sad that government decision is being affected by popular culture."

In what way would it be sad for the government to be affected by society / culture? it makes perfect sense actually.
"

I agree. Hamilton has taught a lot of people about all that Alexander Hamilton did for the country, particularly in terms of finance. People are obviously going to react by realizing that he definitely deserves his place on the US currency much more than a lot of people that are on it and speak out against him being taken off. This is a completely fair response. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#21Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/17/16 at 3:45pm

Oops at yet another grammar snafu. I was not on the ball last night.

Though I am sure you all were well aware of what I meant. Your "putting me in my place" is not appreciated.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#22Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/18/16 at 9:26am

Jordan Catalano said: "What bill will President Trump end up on?"

Trump will be on the two dollar bill, so no one will ever see him, or perhaps the three dollar bill would be better, since it doesn't exist.

JM226
#23Hamilton will remain on $10 Bill
Posted: 4/18/16 at 5:08pm

bump

Videos