News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 180

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4475Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 12:27pm

Billboard now lists the soundtrack as #4 on the top soundtracks chart and #27 on the pop (top 200) chart.

That is last week's position before the film was released. It should be much, much higher this week when it's released on Thursday!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#4476Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 12:59pm

It came in third over the weekend with slightly over $46 million.

That's better that originally predicted, but not quite as high as some estimates that were being tossed around yesterday.

It's a great opening either way.

I'll be curious to see how word of mouth impacts it over the next holiday weekend.
Link

....but the world goes 'round

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4477Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 1:07pm

What are the chances that they could add more theaters?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4478Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 1:43pm

Somebody just made the brilliant decision (I assume on Disney Records end) to offer the single disc version for only 7.99 on iTunes. The deluxe version is still #10 and I'm sure the 7.99 version will jump to the top 10 as well. Very smart decision. It would be amazing to see a Sondheim score become a very successful album.

Updated On: 12/28/14 at 01:43 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#4479Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 1:46pm

Disney feels they're reaching their target. And with only 38% making up family audiences.

In contrast, Disney’s “Into the Woods” got a lift from a star heavy crew that includes Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Emily Blunt, Chris Pine and Anna Kendrick. The $50 million production brought in $31 million from locations, securing third place on the box office charts. It has made $46.1 million since debuting on Thursday.

Its origins as a hit Broadway musical may have helped pack in older crowds for whom Stephen Sondheim is close to godliness, while Walt Disney Studios was also able to devise a fantastical marketing campaign to appeal to children. Adults comprised 51% of the opening weekend crowd, while families made up 38%.

The film’s dark hues were part of its appeal, noted Disney distribution chief Dave Hollis. The studio’s testing indicated that the second half of the film, the one that explores what happens after happily ever after, is what resonated the most potently with moviegoers.

“We went down the path of owning that,” said Hollis. “It wouldn’t have been as dark without it, but the complexion of the movie would be different and it wouldn’t be fueling the kind of conversation that’s driving business.”

Variety

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 12/28/14 at 01:46 PM

Hagenisnotakitty Profile Photo
Hagenisnotakitty
#4480Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 3:41pm

I was perusing reviews on youtube, and this one warmed my heart. It appears the show is definitely IN with some children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSHj3VjjR4

KathyNYC2
#4481Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 4:50pm

I like the kids' opinions but the interviewer was a little pushy and doesn't seem to have much experience talking to kids...as she pretty much tried to tell them what to say and how to react. They were doing well enough on their own.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#4482Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 4:54pm

I'm going to see it for a second time with my friend next weekend. I was really happy when the box office estimates came out, just like LES MISERABLES, it's doing really well on it's own this holiday season.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#4483Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 5:19pm

Since I don't think anyone has said anything about it yet, I loved how the visually presented Cinderella at the Grave. I could listen to Joanna Riding all day long.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

J_Jammer Profile Photo
J_Jammer
#4484Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 5:20pm

@StageManager2

Even before the Narrator is killed in the musical things were going nuts.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#4485Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 5:44pm

"Since I don't think anyone has said anything about it yet, I loved how the visually presented Cinderella at the Grave. I could listen to Joanna Riding all day long."

That was beautiful!

One thing I noticed was at the very end, during the reprise of 'Into the Woods', instead of filming a new clip of Cinderella saying "I wish", they just re-used a clip of her singing at her mother's grave from earlier in the movie.

That surprised me because I thought they'd show a new clip of her maybe at the Baker's house, or on a wooded path, or really anywhere else. Why recycle a clip from earlier in the film? That was just a little visually jarring to me. It makes the statement Sondheim seems to be making - that we never stop wishing for things, even when we should be satisfied - kind of nonexistent, since we see Cinderella back at her mother's grave at the beginning of the story, so it's really just a meaningless flashback. Anyone else have any thoughts?

J_Jammer Profile Photo
J_Jammer
#4486Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 6:05pm

One of my favorite ways that a stage production ended Into the Woods was with Cinderella saying "I wish" and all the other characters glaring at her like...ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I would guess reusing her at the tree is probably indicative of maybe she might have wished she hadn't had such a lofty wish. Maybe she should have wished for that "Middle" she spoke about with the Prince.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4487Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 6:59pm

I loved the repeated shot of Cinderella at her mother's grave with "I wish."

It works so well for me because they flash back to that moment, and it makes me think ( as the audience), knowing what we know about how things worked out, if she could go back to that moment in time, would she do it all again and wish for it?

That's something you can't do in a stage production with such limited time. I loved that touch in the film.

I saw it again today, and I think I actually liked it more the second time. This is easily my favorite film adaptation of a musical since Chicago.

Dreamgirls was great, but gutted a little too much of the score for me, and Hairspray was great with the one misfire of Travolta playing Edna "legit" rather than a more campy Harvey/Divine spin. It took a lot of edge out of the overall tone. Both are damn good, though.

While Chicago departed greatly from the stage version, it was improved, IMO.

Into the Woods is wonderfully faithful to the stage production even with its trims and tucks. And the cast is so uniformly excellent. I really reveled in each of their performances again today.

So ... go, Rob Marshall and do what ever you want to do next. Yeah, Nine was a bit of a misfire (with some shining moments), but you have delivered my two favorite movie musical adaptations of the past 15 years.

*bows respectfully*

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

J_Jammer Profile Photo
J_Jammer
#4488Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 7:08pm

I'm going to have to see it agian. When I saw it, I was slightly tired. Though I enjoyed it, I think I'd enjoy it more if I wasn't so sleepy.

Already when I see the musical I get lulled to a relaxation that isn't boredom, just a comfort...like snuggling. That combined with my tired didn't mix well. I was nodding during the last 20 minutes. Never fell asleep, but wanted to.

There are so many things I enjoyed about the film that was because it couldn't be done on the stage...the flashbacks were interesting because that's not possible on the stage version as well as Agony with the river. Oh and the use of horses. I liked how the Princes rode past each other and then came back together. The witch teleporting here and there...liked that.

Musical Master
#4489Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 7:17pm

@best12bars, I agree with that all the way. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#4490Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:23pm

"I liked how the Princes rode past each other and then came back together."

That got one of the bigger laughs in my theater. The two princes riding right past each other, crossing, then exiting out of frame. A couple of beats later they ride back in toward each other. Very nice setup!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4491Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:31pm

My favorite line was when a blind Lucy Punch told the Giant something like "I just saw him!" I honestly could not stop laughing.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4492Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:34pm

One of the coolest comments I heard from a friend who loves movies but doesn't always dig musicals ...

He said, "When I was watching it, I forgot it was a musical."

He explained that because the songs were generally short and went in and out of dialogue a lot, it just felt like one seamless story.

I absolutely loved that observation. And I agreed with him. There were times when I forgot it was a musical, because the storytelling was always the focus, without a break or a calling of attention to the "now we're going to sing" moments.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4493Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:39pm

I forgot it was a musical because they cut so much of the score.

KIDDING!

broadwaytbay Profile Photo
broadwaytbay
#4494Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:43pm

my husband who watched the filmed broadway version, and the regents park production and strongly disliked both was ecstatic when we left the theatre today, he thought it "fixed" the issues with the stage versions, namely the plodding nature of act two.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4495Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:49pm

I'm hoping word of mouth on this is good and gets more butts into seats. That will be the real test. I'm glad it opened strong, but the next two weeks will really determine its box office success.

Owen22
#4496Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 10:17pm

"my husband who watched the filmed broadway version, and the regents park production and strongly disliked both was ecstatic when we left the theatre today, he thought it "fixed" the issues with the stage versions, namely the plodding nature of act two."

I feel sorry for your husband who missed the extreme glory of what is the greatest production of Into the Woods (and I love, love LOVE the movie), the Regents Park production. Though I saw it live, not on video (coincidentally though, they taped the production I saw) I'm sure it's brilliance comes through. I missed the Central Park production which was based on it.

J_Jammer Profile Photo
J_Jammer
#4497Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 10:22pm

@Sarahb22

The versions I've seen the Princes do that on foot pretending (or as it appeared they were) to be on horses by galloping. It stuck out in my mind as a great moment in the film. Which made me wish for the second Agony so bad...their brotherly chemistry was awesome during that song.

I did laugh at that. Through most of the funny parts I actually did laugh and sometimes I was the only one and that's cause I've seen it before and some of it was because I just thought it was funny. That play moves at such a pace that if you're not paying attention, you miss a lot of funny moments.

Whether or not it was appropriate I don't think the creators would mind. I think every moment (is a moment in the woods) has its own humor. It's own justice. I just love that musical so much. It is the only musical and play that I can see over and over again and would see every version possible. I was upset that I missed some of the high school productions this year.

Updated On: 12/28/14 at 10:22 PM

Musical Master
#4498Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 10:42pm

The Witch's transformation scene was excellently well done on a film-making standard, so was "Last Midnight".

Rob Marshall and Dion Beebe should get John Myhre and Colleen Atwood for FOLLIES, that would make my life complete.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#4499Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 10:45pm

Anyone else notice they played part of "Overture/Night Waltz" from 'A Little Night Music" when they panned over to the First Night of Prince Charming's Party.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos