News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 181

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4500Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 10:49pm

Of course! And I loved it. It worked beautifully as a nice inside joke.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#4501Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/14 at 10:50pm

I did. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#4502Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:00am

Besty, you mentioned how your friend talked about the seamlessness of the piece, and that's why I think it's so fantastic. "Seamless" is really the first thing that came to my mind as I sat down to reflect on it. I feel the same way about CHICAGO, and I think Rob Marshall at his best brings a seamlessness to his movie musical adaptations that do bring someone like Robert Wise or Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen to mind. This is why the Prologue made me so happy. I hand't read the leaked script on purpose, so I assumed that they'd do away with a lot of the Prologue, but instead Marshall allows the music and the script to become intertwined in such a harmonious way. I just loved it from the getgo. There's no "let's stop and sing" moment that's jarring, everything emerges so effortlessly and from an emotional truth of the film.

I couldn't agree more that it's my favorite and I'd say the best movie musical since CHICAGO by far. DREAMGIRLS is too apologetic, too afraid to be a musical; it has some spectacular moments, but it ultimately doesn't work for me. I also think the acting is not as good as I thought on first viewing--Jamie Foxx sleeps his way through it, Beyonce is always reading lines to me, and Jennifer Hudson while mind-blowing when she can sing, does not blow my mind with her line delivery. I do think this is a huge stepping stone for Rob Marshall, it's as if he allowed himself to have fun, to feel passionate about the material (I think passion is hugely missing from NINE), and he grew as a filmmaker so much with this movie.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Musical Master
#4503Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:08am

@ray, which is exactly the kind of seamlessness that has been sorely missing in the past few decades in musical films (especially adaptations). Rob Marshall is here to save it from destroying itself and ANNIE is not helping given the dreadful reviews it got. Rob Marshall should do either FOLLIES, MISS SAIGON, ASSASSINS, PACIFIC OVERTURES, PIPPIN, or SUNSET BOULEVARD as his next project, either one would make me so happy.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4504Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:17am

The idea of a Pacific Overtures film is so hilarious to me - there is not a cast or vision that could make that show appeal to a wide audience I think. Assassins could have minor success as a very controversial, satirical piece but I can just imagine the Fox News stories right now.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/29/14 at 01:17 AM

Musical Master
#4505Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:23am

@qolbinau, well Rob Marshall did direct MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, and it was at most a visual film. So why not?

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#4506Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:38am

Glad to read your review Musical Master, and I’m so glad you so enjoyed it as you did. I think your 9.5 out of 10 rating is perfect. The film felt almost perfect but just needed a little something more…a little fixing.

Finally, Musical Master said that the Witch tells Rapunzel “But there’s a giant!” as Rapunzel runs off, so THAT makes the lyrics of “Witch’s Lament” make sense to me. Finally! Because she's thinking Rapunzel will not be safe if she doesn't listen that there is a giant about.

But about Rapunzel, your child rejecting you is NOT worse than death. Your child dying IS worse than them running away from you. If you don’t think so, just think if you said to any mother whose child died, “Oh, but it’s not as bad as them rejecting you and running away.”

Does anyone else think the Witch should have said to Rapunzel, “I was going to come back for you when you learned your lesson?” like in the original show so we know she wasn’t going to banish her to the swamp for good? Or does the line “Now you don’t have to be embarrassed by me” cover that?

Meryl Streep was so stupendous and emotionally great in this film. James Corden turned out to be emotionally great in the end, too.

I don't think the Witch should have said "I was punished with ugliness if I ever lost the beans" or "he took away my youth and beauty" or showed as much of her transforming as they did because then the "well that's another story, never mind" joke doesn't work.

I think the Baker's father may have died, even a long time after he ran away, or the Baker was imagining him, or he really did meet his long lost, alive father in the woods, but the Baker didn't want to talk to him.

Showface, I agree so much about what you said about Meryl Streep’s acting when they use the wrong ingredients and she says “Forget about a child” out of sadness and hurt and “what were you doing there?” with sadness. Much better than any of the previous Witches!

J_Jammer, emotions can and do happen between people even within just a few days time, so Cinderella could have at least shown some emotion about the Prince cheating on her. Just a little something. She was at least attached to him enough to want him to find her and marry him. And showing the land of the giants would not have been a waste of money, it would have made ‘Giants in the Sky” a little less story-halting. And it would have been nice to see the ball and Cinderella dancing with the prince. Both things they couldn’t afford, but they WANTED to do, as I read in an interview.

I loved how beautiful “Cinderella at the Grave” was except there needed to be a magic effect besides the leaves to transform Cinderella. Blowing leaves is not magic. A sparkly glow would be. And we should have seen the Witch transform to beautiful, instead of just seeing shots of her ugly, then shots of her beautiful.

Updated On: 12/29/14 at 01:38 AM

Musical Master
#4507Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:52am

Thank you so much for those kind words MagicalMusical, I truly loved it to the point that when I get it on Blu-ray, I will play it over and over again in sheer delight on how Marshall, Lapine and Sondheim did such a great job adapting it to film.

I think that the line "Now you don't have to be embarrassed by me", says quite a lot without going to the moral side of it. Plus when the Witch tired to warn Rapunzel about the Giantess but since she and her Prince did not listen I was like: oh no.... Yeah in my opinion, the other Prince and Rapunzel are so toast, especially when you hear that music when they ride away.

RooMcGoo Profile Photo
RooMcGoo
#4508Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:19am

Loved your review as well, musical master! They pretty much pulled it off, didn't they?

I made a silly recap of the movie that says so, anyway, more or less...
An Incomplete History of Into the Woods

http://roomcgoo.com/

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4509Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:35am

STOP SHILLING THAT DAMN LINK EVERYWHERE!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#4510Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 3:29am

From her Facebook... So. Done.

Carrie Ann Inaba
1 hr ·
Into the Woods. Hmmm, at first I didn't like it. Then got sick of it. Then was blown away at the it's your fault my fault his fault song - it was genius then realized it was camp and enjoyed the rest of it. Sang something form it for hours...what did you think?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#4511Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 3:31am

Can we officially declare RooMcGoo a troll? If I have to see that link one more time...

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#4512Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 6:02am

@qolbinau, well Rob Marshall did direct MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, and it was at most a visual film. So why not?

So because he directed MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA (which was a box-office flop) that automatically makes him the go-to director for Asian based films. I guess he's the perfect director for remakes of THE WORLD OF SUZIE WONG, SAYONARA and A GIRL NAMED TAMIKO as well.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4513Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 6:20am

Memoirs of a Geisha was a huge best-seller book, not an obscure (to most) Broadway musical.

A film was made based on its success and recognizability as a book (like Bridges of Madison County, etc.).

CarlosAlberto
#4514Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 6:35am

...or VALLEY OF THE DOLLS... Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#4515Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 8:21am

You don't like the film so you've pick it apart. I like it, so I don't have to pick it part.

Blind devotion? best12bars, do you have a friend who was in the production team or something? You seem heavily invested in this film. It reminds me of when Dreamgirls came out 8 years ago and you praised left and right and argued with anyone who didn't like it. It turns out you were friendly with director Bill Condon, which might also explain your devotion to Chicago though I agree that film did improve on some things from the show.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4516Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 9:14am

Thanks for doing your best to expose me here over a difference of opinion, SM2. Cheap shot.

No, I don't know anyone connected to Into the Woods, either in front of or behind the camera. I went to see it on Christmas Day, just like a lot of other people. Saw it again yesterday, too.

You'll have to come up with other justifications as to why I feel the way I do, which I'm sure you will.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4517Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 9:17am

The Blu-ray Disc is now up for pre-order on Amazon at $22.99 ....

LINK

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4518Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 9:22am

I can't with those Amazon reviews.

PG Rating Is A Scam! This Movie Is Not Suitable For Children/Pre-Teens Unless You Want To Destroy Your Children's Innocence!, December 27, 2014
By Danny G. (Baltimore, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into The Woods (2014) (Amazon Instant Video)
I Repeat! This A Very, Very Disturbing Film Not Suitable For Children Or Preteens. Into The Woods is a sick, twisted story that is beyond bad or rotten. It tells that audience that unless you are a newborn baby everyone - no matter what your age or social class - is corrupt and despicable! (If you want to see a fantasy film that is the best I've ever seen in my life then buy Hallmark's & Jim Henson's "Jack and the Beanstalk - The Real Story." It is suitable for all ages and you may even cry your brains out while watching it the first time, like I did!)

I've never before seen a movie that should have been rated PG-13 or R rated PG. Never in my life - and I have been going to movies for at least 45 YEARS! Let me ask you this: Is three separate acts of thievery of an innocent individual's most valuable possessions - that leads to an act of manslaughter by a child, no less, worthy of only a PG rating? Then add another act of manslaughter, with the assistance of all the adults around him worthy of just a PG rating? Then another act of manslaughter by an adult killing the child's mother worthy of just a PG rating? Then the accidental death of another adult hero worthy of just a PG rating? How about leaving a new born child with a pre-teen with zero babysitting experience, as if that was not a big deal, worthy of just a PG rating. How about a kidnapper isolating her alleged daughter first in a castle with no escape, then in a rather flimsy hut made of twigs - in a swamp in the middle of nowhere - worthy of just a PG rating? How about one of the characters that was murdered looking exactly like an elderly grandmother is that worthy of only a PG rating? Or how about a flock of birds pecking out the eyes of two women is that worthy of only a PG rating? In the world of "Into the Woods" blindness is funny! How sick and twisted can you get? How about a totally innocent man having his eyes poked out by thorn bushes, is that worthy of only a PG rating. (Does it really matter if he is innocent or or not, this film was rated PG!) And last, but not least, let's not forget one women having their toe cut off and another having there heel of their foot cut off? Wow! I've never seen acts amputation to be hilarious until now (I'm being sarcastic!) Is that worthy of only a PG rating?

This Film Is So Bad It Is Making Me Feel Nauseous! I may even throw-up by the end of the night! Most people have better things to do then write a movie review when they feel this sick to their stomach. But if I help prevent one young person or adult from seeing this film and being deceived and traumatized, like I was, then it's well worth the effort.

I want to make it clear there are NO good guys in this film. I could care less about any of the characters except for the newborn child and the two murdered giants. Whoever had anything to do with this film knew exactly what they were doing. If adults want to see sick and twisted be my guest! But to market this as a movie suitable for children and then to have the film's rating gamed in order to maximize profits is an act of evil, plain and simple! Sorry, but I call a spade a spade. What I would like to really say will be censored, so let your imagination run wild!

On the subject of maximizing profits: Ticket sales are considerably down from last year and you wonder why? I was looking forward to seeing two other movies. Now I'm not going to see them! Hollywood and movie theater owners you made $11.50 off of me! Now you're going to loose because you would have made $34.50 had you not gamed the rating. I don't care in slightest how good the other films might be. I'll wait till I can buy them for a PENNY on Amazon! Now multiply that by lots of people across the world and I don't care how palatial you build your new movie theaters - I have zero interest in stepping inside! Zero! Zero! Zero! Antagonizing your loyal customers by trying to boost your quarterly statement at the expense of your annual statement is dumb, dumb, dumb! Hasn't anyone in Hollywood taken Accounting 101? Hollywood, use that evil genius of yours for good and you will make more money, not less! Duh!

Len6677
#4519Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 9:42am

How is it possible for anyone to exist in today's world and still be even slightly offended by any of the content in Into the Woods? Who are these people!?

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#4520Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 9:47am

As an antedote to that, leaving the cinema Saturday, I heard a young girl, about 6 or 7, and her mother striking up a very nice conversation about the story's ethics as they walked down the street. God forbid parents parent.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES
Updated On: 12/29/14 at 09:47 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4521Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 9:59am

It's always surprising to me how so many people seem to overlook the fact that kids often love morbid and somewhat scary things. I imagine they're handling the Stepmother sawing off her daughter's toe much better than the parents.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jay94
#4522Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 10:02am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egyTQ59DDbQ

I thought all of you might enjoy this. Can people not wrap their minds around the fact that the movie may not have been made for their 6 year old child?

Updated On: 12/29/14 at 10:02 AM

CarlosAlberto
#4523Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 10:05am

Damn @ those "reviews". So many people on their teeny-tiny narrow minded soap boxes.

Len6677
#4524Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/29/14 at 10:13am

I think kids should see it. If a kid has a decent parent there's nothing in the movie that they can't handle or that should traumatize them. I was watching the Broadway version on TV regularly as a 7-8 year old and I'm glad I did.

I am sick of all these people who refuse to expose their children to any little bit of negativity or reality, pretty much ensuring they grow up to not be able to handle life.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos