News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff June 2006- Page 2

Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff June 2006

my2cents
#25re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:46pm

Thank god its official. I am so tired of the whats going to be at the minskoff? lion king wont move, that's stupid BS. ANd about disney having 4 theaters, get OFF IT!! look at your playbills and discover how many other producers have numerous shows at once. Besides who knows this might actually hurt beast. People will want to see the new tarzan musical, the hot ticket poppins, and the reliable lion king. Beast will only benefit if the three mentioned above are all sold out.

w_tanoto Profile Photo
w_tanoto
#26re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:50pm

I would love to go over from london to new york just to see the show. I was in Prince Edward's on laura's last night, and the show was one of the best (for me) in westend along with billy elliot.
I guess not! Julie andrews is too old to play it. Anyway, it's just a rumour.

Be a BE*liever! Feel the Electricity --- Supercalifragilistic-Expialidocious --- Walt Disney Forever

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:02pm

To Theater Boy

You have a short memory . Not too many years ago we had a slew of empty theaters. We could very easily have them again with escalating prices and/or a drop in tourism.Do you seriously believe a producer would have spent his money to renovate the New Amsterdam ? If that is all they did, it was worth it

I doubt the New Amsterdam would have been in continuous use. Ditto the Lunt Fontanne. There would have been dark periods. You just have it in for Disney which is your problem. Think what you want but on balance Disney was good for Broadway. So they did not bring in a Sondheim show & brought in family shows. The nerve of these guys . I think they should be boiled in oil for having the audacity to make musicals the people like. They probably did not do a Sondheim show as they wanted to see a profit

Nothing against Sondhem but his shows rarely make money. Last time I heard that was a main reason producers put on a show

Poster Emeritus

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#28re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:06pm

and tell me again, where i mentioned sondheim? i said new musical writers.

Gregster
#29re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:08pm

Its a load of tosh bout laura and cameron mackintosh falling out! Poppy Tierney performed at the Childrens BBC proms in the park and possibly one other event as Laura had other commitments. A professional such as cameron mackintosh would not let a falling out get in the way of publicising his show with his OLIVER AWARD WINNING actress in the lead!

w_tanoto Profile Photo
w_tanoto
#30re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:10pm

I heard they wish to cut the song called temper, temper from broadway version. Is this true? Anybody already have any info on the changes (difference between westend and broadway)?

Be a BE*liever! Feel the Electricity --- Supercalifragilistic-Expialidocious --- Walt Disney Forever

w_tanoto Profile Photo
w_tanoto
#31re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:12pm

About the Children in Needs show, so it was poppy tierney who I saw performing Supercalifragilistic and Practically perfect? I thought it was laura
I'm not fond of TV...so Is children in needs is the same as the program you mentioned? Thanks

Updated On: 11/10/05 at 07:12 PM

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#32re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:14pm

Gregster, it's not tosh at all. They fell out and she has left the show with it still being on bad terms between them. Trust me on this.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Gregster
#33re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:15pm

No that WAS laura, the proms in the park were a couple of months ago and supercali was performed. Children in need was about this time last year :)

w_tanoto Profile Photo
w_tanoto
#34re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:18pm

Poor laura! Is this the reason why cameron mack was not there on her last performance? I didn't see him at all.
Is there's a link about that problem, so I can read it as well?

Gregster, thanks for the info! I'm not an expert on TV

Updated On: 11/10/05 at 07:18 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:18pm

Theaters play shows from new & established composers. A show that puts fannies in the seats & keeps them there is what makes successful theater which helps everyone

Poster Emeritus

RentBoy86
#36re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:24pm

Cool. It'll be interesting to see if ppl follow Lion King over to the Minksoff. I guess its a smart move to have the Lion king right across the street from Mary Poppins. If only they'd secured the Palace or Marquis they would have Times Square on lock. I dont see Beauty lasting much longer, unless there's some creative casting. I'm impartial about Disney on Broadway. I love Aida, but don't care much for Lion King or Beauty. They are done well, but I just felt like it was a costly production of something from one of their theme parks. Not to say I didn't enjoy myself, but I felt unfulfilled.

Dame Fanadette Profile Photo
Dame Fanadette
#37re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:34pm

Bernadette Peters as Mary Poppins?

DF loves the little children, all the children of the world black and yellow, gay or straight, they are perfect in her light DF loves all the children of the world-Dame Fanadette

RentBoy86
#38re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:37pm

Um, no haha. I dunno, maybe it could work. Who won the Oliver Award - Mary Poppins or Billy Eliot? That must have been a big deal, talk bout competition.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#39re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:39pm

neither, it went to The Producers.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

w_tanoto Profile Photo
w_tanoto
#40re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:41pm

i think billy elliot on broadway will be difficult. They need geordie accent. I heard a rumour that they will be previewing in Toronto next year before opening in broadway.

Bernadette Peters? Maybe it will work... This is so exciting. Hoping that they will release the CD of broadway version

Dame Fanadette Profile Photo
Dame Fanadette
#41re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:47pm

re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff Damn was just listening to Laura on the Original London Cast. She sounds wonderful. Too bad we will not have her here.

DF loves the little children, all the children of the world black and yellow, gay or straight, they are perfect in her light DF loves all the children of the world-Dame Fanadette

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:53pm

Imagine the actors putting on penguin suits ?

If he is still alive at the time the show opens ( I think he is now 80 ) Dick Van Dyke (along with Julie Andrews) should be invited for opening night. It would be a nice gesture

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/10/05 at 07:53 PM

w_tanoto Profile Photo
w_tanoto
#43re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:55pm

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001813/ (I think he still alive), and he still dance if you have Mary Poppins special edition DVD, see the interview with julie andrews

RYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
#44re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 8:24pm

With The Little Mermaid also hoping for a Spring 2007 opening this will be a disney invasion! Mary Poppins is fantastic however. a rumour was saud to my ears a few months back that Beauty and the Beast may close before the end of the year. Its a great show, but with new Disneys perhaps trade will be stolen.

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#45re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 8:26pm

It's a shame Lion King will be in the Minskoff; I hate that theater.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#46re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 8:30pm

RentBoy, the Miskoff isn't across the street from the New Amsterdam.

Whatever happened to class?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#47re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 8:32pm

Laura Michelle Kelly was probably not going to play Mary on Broadway regardless of any spat with Cameron for two reasons:

1. She would have to be approved by American Equity. Yes, she has appeared on Broadway before, but that was as part of a trade. She would have to be submitted and approved again, and regardless of her Olivier win, she doesn't necessarily qualify as either a "star" or uniquely qualified.

2. I have it on pretty good authority that Disney/Cameron both feel that a name of sorts might be really, really beneficial to the show, which as Michael Riedel recently commented on, opened big in London, but has turned into a "soft" hit -- meaning it's not the total sell out they thought it would be. Kate Winslet, Keira Knightly and Minnie Driver were all supposedly mentioned as possible "names" that might be approached.

And on a side note, yes, the show is going to be revamped slightly for Broadway. Expect it to be a little less dark and a tad more faithful to the film.

Updated On: 11/10/05 at 08:32 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#48re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 8:50pm

Im sad Laura Michelle wont be taking the role to Broadway. Shes supposedly phenomenal as Mary.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#49re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 8:55pm

I am really glad that my American friends are getting mary Poppins. I saw it in London and it's a fantastic show !
And for the Disney haters, well, I'll gladly pay to see ANY Disney show than see again "new" shows like BKLYN !!

Videos