News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Miss Saigon 2017

StageyAndProud
#25Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 8:28am

Rumours are Jeremy Jordan as Chris and Joshua Henry as John.

I would love to see Rachelle Ann Go transfer with the production. She was an incredible Gigi and really brings in the asian audiences. 

I would love to see Stephanie J Block as Ellen but she will be busy with Falsettos and she is so much better than then role.

TheEngineer892 Profile Photo
TheEngineer892
#26Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:47am

Rachelle Ann Go is honestly perfection

AEA AGMA SM
#27Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 11:15am

Mr. Nowack said: "I think the Ellen song on the OLC is the most effective. It portrays the conflict she's going without making her too unlikeable.

The track is called "Now That I've Seen Her" but I think the song by that title is a different one (if that makes any sense).
"

Claire Moore, the original Ellen, recorded "It's Her or Me" for the 2 disc London cast album. By the time they released a highlights CD "It's Her or Me" had been changed to "Now That I've Seen Her," which retained the same melody as "It's Her or Me" and they had Claire Moore re-record the song. For some reason, though, on the 2 disc album the track was labelled as "Now That I've Seen Her" even though the song on the recording was "It's Her or Me."

On iTunes, at least, they have updated the 2 disc album to include "Now That I've Seen Her." I'm curious which song you get if you buy a newer version of the OLC 2 disc album on CD.

RW3
#28Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 12:03pm

StageyAndProud said: "Rumours are Jeremy Jordan as Chris and Joshua Henry as John.

I would love to see Rachelle Ann Go transfer with the production. She was an incredible Gigi and really brings in the asian audiences. 

I would love to see Stephanie J Block as Ellen but she will be busy with Falsettos and she is so much better than then role.

I would highly doubt that Jeremy Jordan will be Chris because of his role on Supergirl unless they kill his character off.

ebontoyan
#29Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 12:04pm

The OLC has 'Now that I've seen her'. The new Ellen song from the London revival is called 'Maybe' This is the song found in the revival cast recording which I think what they will bring to Broadway. As I mentioned before, this song makes Ellen more sympathetic, softer. I think Megan Hilty will make a good Ellen!

Updated On: 6/28/16 at 12:04 PM

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#30Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 12:25pm

I don't think that Megan Hilty would settle for playing "Ellen", which for all intents and purposes is very much a secondary role. I wouldn't expect a big name to fill that part.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
Updated On: 6/28/16 at 12:25 PM

Jallenc32
#31Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 12:43pm

I think Kate Rockwell would be a thoroughly decent choice for Ellen.  All-American Girl quality plus a solid vocal range.

SnoopyQc Profile Photo
SnoopyQc
#32Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 2:21pm

I think that the problem with Ellen is maybe not the song but the typecast. Ellen as less character development than Kim. So maybe, we need a actress that people will love as first sight.

Don't get me wrong, I really like actress/singer like Claire Moore, Ruthie Henshall and Kerry Ellis. But I would like to see the role played by someone like Laura Osnes. Altought, maybe her voice will be too similar as Kim in "I still believe" duet.

Maybe I do not speak English as well as you, but I can perfectly pronounce the names of all characters of Les Misérables.

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#33Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 2:35pm

SnoopyQc said: "I think that the problem with Ellen is maybe not the song but the typecast. Ellen as less character development than Kim. So maybe, we need a actress that people will love as first sight.

Don't get me wrong, I really like actress/singer like Claire Moore, Ruthie Henshall and Kerry Ellis. But I would like to see the role played by someone like Laura Osnes. Altought, maybe her voice will be too similar as Kim in "I still believe" duet."

At this point in her career Laura Osnes' wouldn't settle in playing a secondary role  such as "Ellen" in "Miss Saigon", nor would any other "name" actress with a similar trajectory.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

SnoopyQc Profile Photo
SnoopyQc
#34Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:30pm

At this point in her career Laura Osnes' wouldn't settle in playing a secondary role  such as "Ellen" in "Miss Saigon", nor would any other "name" actress with a similar trajectory.

I know that the role is too small for Laura Osnes. I meant someone like Laura Osnes (nice girl, Disney princess type). Alison Luff could be a great choice.

Maybe I do not speak English as well as you, but I can perfectly pronounce the names of all characters of Les Misérables.
Updated On: 6/28/16 at 03:30 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#35Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:31pm

Thank you AEA AGMA SM, that's such a bizarre situation. I knew based on a bootleg of the OBC floating around that the song called that has different lyrics but never knew the true title of the song on the double disc OLC that I own.

I still think that song is the best one, "Her Or Me." In terms of character.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Dave19
#36Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 4:14pm

Actually, there have been 5 different versions of Ellen's solo. (7 if you count the different versions of the same title):

1. What if he doesn't come back home tonight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Q8twl2fe0

2. Who says I'm hurt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqInFvcSq_Y

3. Her or me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDT8fLta5k

4. Now that I've seen her (2 versions actually, first the one with "there are days...there are days when your life clouds over etc, and later the one with "It's alright...It's alright when I just imagine" completely different lyrics and different ending. I think the second version was introduced for Broadway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UrLEYgPf6A

5. Maybe (also 2 versions, 2 sets of lyrics and different ending).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ8tuBJ4bLE

Updated On: 6/28/16 at 04:14 PM

TheEngineer892
#37Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 4:36pm

I can see both sides of the coin with Megan Hilty. But we must remember that she was a lead on a television show and was Glinda in Wicked, but she took a supporting role in Noises Off. She might not be as picky as we think

jonahke
#38Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 5:25pm

Dave19 said: "Actually, there have been 5 different versions of Ellen's solo. (7 if you count the different versions of the same title):

1. What if he doesn't come back home tonight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Q8twl2fe0

2. Who says I'm hurt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqInFvcSq_Y

3. Her or me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDT8fLta5k

4. Now that I've seen her (2 versions actually, first the one with "there are days...there are days when your life clouds over etc, and later the one with "It's alright...It's alright when I just imagine" completely different lyrics and different ending. I think the second version was introduced for Broadway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UrLEYgPf6A

5. Maybe (also 2 versions, 2 sets of lyrics and different ending).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ8tuBJ4bLE

"

Exactly, the first version of Maybe (the version sung by Stephanie J.B.) is the one they used in Holland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWMA7BKD0Ck

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#39Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 6:01pm

Well in that case the one I am describing is in fact "Now That I've Seen Her" number one. The one that begins with the line about your life clouding over. 

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#40Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 6:02pm

Ellen should be an actress in her 20's.

Stephanatic

TheEngineer892
#41Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 11:06pm

South Florida said: "Ellen should be an actress in her 20's.

"That is true. But Tamsin Carroll, who just played Ellen in the London Revival is 37...

BwayinVan
#42Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 11:08pm

RW3 

I would highly doubt that Jeremy Jordan will be Chris because of his role on Supergirl unless they kill his character off.

"

Especially since Supergirl films in Vancouver...that's a bit of a commute

TheEngineer892
#43Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/29/16 at 10:21am

I also think that they should bring The Thuy from the West End Revival over, his voice is fantastic.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#44Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/29/16 at 10:37am

StageyAndProud said: "Rumours are Jeremy Jordan as Chris and Joshua Henry as John."

Rumored where? 

(They're both outstanding choices, but Jordan's television series, which films in Vancouver, would seem to preclude him from taking on the role.)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#45Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/29/16 at 10:38am

Jallenc32 said: "I think Kate Rockwell would be a thoroughly decent choice for Ellen.  All-American Girl quality plus a solid vocal range.

This is an excellent suggestion, and probably the caliber of performer they'll be able to get for this role (which, unless it's been beefed up in this new production, is rather small and underdeveloped). 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#46Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/29/16 at 11:08am

"Now That I've Seen Her" starting with "It's alright" was on the MTI libretto I had a few years ago.

Back Row
#47Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/29/16 at 11:17am

adamgreer said: "StageyAndProud said: "Rumours are Jeremy Jordan as Chris and Joshua Henry as John."

Rumored where? 

(They're both outstanding choices, but Jordan's television series, which films in Vancouver, would seem to preclude him from taking on the role.)

Jordan's in a unique situation with Supergirl. The nature of the show opens up all kinds of possibilities for allowing him to "disappear" for a few weeks or even an entire season without killing off the character. He could get trapped in another dimension, go to the dark side with his father, or end up in some intergalactic prison. He's a popular character on the show. If the right Broadway opportunity came up, and he wanted to take it, I'm sure the writers could find a way for him to take some time off without killing off his character completely. That being said, I'm not sure that Miss Saigon would be enticing enough for him to make that move. Perhaps a Parade revival?

"

StageyAndProud
#48Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/29/16 at 1:43pm

He was in talks with Cam Mack. I never said he definitely was. But all I am saying is the discussion was there. 

Videos