News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 30

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

FindingNamo
#725NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 8:15pm

Or to put it another way ...

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#726NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 8:27pm

Yeah, shows used to sometimes stretch their seasons so that they could go out with the "magical" 88 which meant they could be packagaed for syndication, but shows now seem to talk about 100. At any rate, if Smash ever had any chance at getting such a deal, it would take more than just one season (and as others have mentioned, serialized shows, especially ones with such a niche audience, are hardly desirable for syndication.)

Showing again how much TV I've watched in my youth--when the Canadian Bravo started up here sometime in the 90s, it had a block each night of "TV Too Good For TV." They showed My So-Called Life, Twin Peaks and a few other shows that most people would argue fit that definition as well as stuff like Hull High (the musical high school show) and Cop Rock that I doubt anyone would argue for, but they ended the programming block after a bit over a year because they said they couldn't afford paying for shows that weren't in syndication.

FindingNamo
#727NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 8:39pm

I WOULD ARGUE FOR COP ROCK UNTIL I AM BLUE IN THE FACE AND BALLS WHENEVER THERE WAS A SHIRTLESS (UNWAXED) PETER ONORATI SCENE.

thanking you in advance

EricMontreal22
#728NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 9:13pm

...this caused me to google Onorati, and, you have a point. Did he sing, shirtless, though? Because otherwise, I think the argument is moot.

FindingNamo
#729NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 9:14pm

Oh yes, oh yes indeed he did.

EricMontreal22
#730NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 9:24pm

I must look for torrents or at least youtube clips. My only memory of the show was a scene with three cops searching a suspects place and breaking into a rap about it.

FindingNamo
#731NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 10:05pm

I remember a lot of moments. Including the final scene in which a horned hat-wearing opera diva gets lowered to the set as she sings her lungs out.

It was too good for TV.

Many more people will miss SMASH when it's gone.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#732NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:07am

Didn't a large black woman lead a rousing, defiant gospel number when it was discovered that someone was burning a cross on her lawn?

F*CK too good for TV. That SH*T is too good for the woebegone human race.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#733NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 1:18pm

I'm not counting on a season 3 of SMASH, but i wouldn't rule it out either. NBC's ratings are low across the baords (that's been established here). So there is a chance that NBC will keep it going just because, all things considered, it does well compared to their other shows.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#734NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 1:40pm

I may be wrong, but didn't the cast just go back on set this week after their wrap party to re-shoot the ending of the season finale to provide closure? I think originally they were gonna leave a cliffhanger at the Tony Awards but now they wrap it up neatly.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#735NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 1:43pm

I may be wrong, but didn't the cast just go back on set this week after their wrap party to re-shoot the ending of the season finale to provide closure? I think originally they were gonna leave a cliffhanger at the Tony Awards but now they wrap it up neatly.

Maybe. I barely have time to watch the show. I certainly can't follow all of their production schedules.

#736NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 2:49pm

There was a post on the off-topic thread that said something about cancellation. But when I opened the thread there were no posts. So is cancellation a prediction at this point? Or is it very likely?

FindingNamo
#737NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 3:04pm

"a rousing, defiant gospel number"

I remember a jury delivering its verdict that way, perhaps even in the pilot episode.

So, Enoch, what's with the new screen name?

FindingNamo
#738NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 3:04pm

"a rousing, defiant gospel number"

I remember a jury delivering its verdict that way, perhaps even in the pilot episode.

So, Enoch, what's with the new screen name?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#739NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 3:08pm

They're going to be filming down the street next week. I saw a sign this morning, so I guess they're still going at it.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#740NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 4:48pm

Apparently according to someones Twitter, I forget who. I think it was Katherine said her and Hilty were in the make up trailer together.

FireFingers Profile Photo
FireFingers
#741NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 4:57pm

I view this site to see what is bing filmed in NYC.

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/tag/filming-in-nyc/

No sign of Smash letting up just yet.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#742NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 6:33pm

Apparently they finish filming tomorrow (Megan and Debra finished a day early)

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Gothampc
#743NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 7:37pm

The ending is that Ivy is doing Dangerous Liaisons, Karen is doing Hit List and they have to bring in JHud to play Marilyn.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#744NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 9:01pm

See now that the entire season has been filmed they have something complete. It is just a matter of what they will do with it.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#745NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 10:53pm

Judging from all the casts tweets tonight it sounds like they have been told its over. They are talking about filming the last scene on Smash, closing the book on another chapter in life, saying goodbye etc, it sounds much more than just filming the season finale. Shame, I actually really enjoyed the show and I doubt we will ever get another Broadway set show again.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

ucjrdude902
#746NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:22pm

Really? Andy tweeted something like "Everyone relax! We are wrapping like normal, right on schedule".

EDIT: I jumped around a few twitter Jordan posted, "Guys, when I said it was the last day of shooting I meant the second season and hopefully we will get a third!" Updated On: 3/8/13 at 11:22 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#747NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:32pm

They are wrapping on schedule and all of the episodes will be shown. But this is the end for Smash.

This has been the bitterest of disappoints for NBC, but the ratings are worse than anyone at the network could have imagined. Even with the average show at NBC garnering a pathetic 1.2/1.1 rating share, Smash can't even muster that.

I don't know if this article from The New York Times has been linked on this thread yet, but it's a quick glance at the current state of things at NBC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/25/business/media/nbcs-ratings-plummet-from-first-to-worst.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"It is also likely to be costly. NBC executives previously acknowledged that their entertainment operation has been losing hundreds of millions a year. The financial picture is exacerbated by the dearth of popular shows NBC owns that it can sell in syndication, an area that generates hundreds of millions in profits for competitors, especially CBS.

Advertising executives note that ratings this month on many shows are so low they may force NBC to offer a spate of what are known as make-goods — free commercials to cover shortfalls from rating guarantees."

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ucjrdude902
#748NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:33pm

As much as I would LOVE a third season, I'm fine with 2 being the end as long as we get closure. Whizzer, I'm not sure what you've heard but from the whispers I've heard NBC isn't going to let SMASH go down without a fight, planning to rearrange the "spring" schedule and put it after The Voice as a lead in.

Updated On: 3/8/13 at 11:33 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#749NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:41pm

I agree. I want closure (and we'll get it).

What's so frustrating is the premise of Smash had so much potential. It could have been something serious and exciting on HBO or Showtime, or something soapy and zany on network tv. Unfortunately it ended up comprising on both ends and has wound up being muddled and misguided.

Still, I will miss it dearly when it goes off the air.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Videos