News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 29

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#700NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 7:20pm

trixiegold - Yep, NBC is doing everything to kill SMASH. Betty White as a lead in, give me a break. BTW- My daughters (age 24 & 22) watch it and enjoy it, big Megan Hilty fans. If SMASH was having these anemic numbers following a show like "The Voice", it would be real cause for concern. Yes, I believe this will be the last season but think NBC really blew it because this show could have had such good potential.

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#701NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 7:47pm

Trixie - They still have to pay the studios if they wanted to run this show on cable in syndication. Even though Comcast/NBCUniversal have lots of cable channels to possible run the show on, it doesn't mean they get to just shuffle the content over there for free...

I doubt that it would do well in syndication anyway. With a storyline that we're struggling with on this board, that we're watching in sequential order, we're confused about what's going on. How would this ever be appealing in random snippets? It's not like Law & Order that wraps pretty much everything up each episode.

A lift when the voice returns at the end of the month is Smash's last hope. It is such a logical pairing - people that like watching singers trying to get their big break might like this story, people that like watching old people pray pranks on young whippersnappers, not so much!

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#702NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 7:50pm

Phyllis, it isn't just BBC though, ITV, Channel 4 are both ad supported and they don't just drop shows either. I did acknowledge that UK series tend to be shorter. But anyway, not really the point here, my fault for starting down that route!

I have to commend Smash for trying something different and out of the box (even if it's failed miserably), I don't think it was ever going to have a huge mass appeal really though.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#703NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 7:53pm

The TV graveyard is full of shows that showed promise only to die when moved to another night. The original Outer Limits died when they moved it opposite Jackie Gleason on Saturday night for Season 2

Smash is now on life support waiting for the plug to be pulled.

Poster Emeritus

Gothampc
#704NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 8:38pm

The Smash Theme Song

Link

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 3/6/13 at 08:38 PM

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#705NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 9:22pm

Never seen The Voice so I am not sure but it airs 2 nights a week? Also what happen to Go On and The New Normal? Is Smash right after The Voice?
I know Betty White is not that strong but still have way more viewers than Smash.

trixigold
#706NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 9:47pm

British television has had some interesting musical series over the years. I'm thinking of "Pennies From Heaven,""Singing Detective," and "Rock Follies," but I'm sure there have been others. Our public broadcasting system doesn't have the kind of funding to produce shows that are comparable to the BBC, which is why we wait for the British shows to be shown over here on public broadcasting instead of our public broadcasting doing much original programming besides documentaries. There was a time when PBS had more cultural programming such as original broadcasts of plays, but that happens less and less.

Our commercial networks are way more risk-averse. Heck, CBS is on the verge of canceling "Vegas," which was the original competition for the second season of "Smash," even though it's been in the Top 20 of all shows, just because the average viewer age is 60. I suppose "Smash" is lucky to have lasted this long and the most anyone can hope for is that the entire run for this season will be shown.

Updated On: 3/6/13 at 09:47 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#707NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 9:58pm

"Off-topic - I love me some Jon Robin Baitz cameo, but didn't it seem like the costume designer hated him? I mean nothing looked like it fit... "

I thought they were gonna go for some meta moment--given Baitz' own extremely vocal departure from Brothers and Sisters, the show he created, after a year and a half saying ABC was dictating story and telling him to focus on "younger and more blonde" females.

EricMontreal22
#708NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 10:22pm

Spork said: "They will. If Smash has taught me anything, it's that if you argue with someone you will later have sex with them."

I wish they would just go full on soap if they're heading in that direction--"grief and/or fight sex" seems to be one of the most common soap cliches.

I agree with others that, despite so many things to complain about, it was the best episode this season by far.

Didn't the new showrunner say that he absolutely would not do any crazy fantasy numbers like last year's Bollywood, and people this year would only sing if there was a legit reason (they're on stage, in rehearsal, etc.) Obviously he hasn't stuck to that--not that I mind, while I'm not an of most of the pop covers, I'd rather they go for more wonky song moments than not, but...

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#709NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 10:30pm

And can we get rid of that plunky-plunk music that underscores every "amusing and cute" moment. I don't like to be condescended to .

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

EricMontreal22
#710NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 10:37pm

It's horrible. We know Ivy is in a light funny storyline because as soon as she shows up they do the "this is fun" background music.

(A much much much better show, Herskovitz/Zwick's Once and Again had the same issue actually--especially early on. The music would telegraph whenever the audience was meant to find a scene cute or funny.)

FindingNamo
#711NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 11:16pm

I think you might watch too much TV.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#712NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 11:22pm

Plunkity-plink!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

EricMontreal22
#713NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 11:38pm

LOL

Gothampc
#714NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 11:44pm

Elaine Stritch needs to make a guest appearance as Deb Messing's grandmother.

It was established in Season 1 that Ivy came from Broadway royalty (Bernadette Peters). But it's like nobody in the theater community recognizes Ivy. Was that fact swept under the carpet with all the Season 1 mistakes? Surely Michael Riedel would be playing up to her to get gossip from Bombshell or from the new show she's in.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

beensince1987
#715NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/6/13 at 11:46pm

Preview for next episode.

WTF!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD-JT1JZRs

broadwayfever
#716NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 12:10am

I actually liked yesterday's episode.

It flowed a lot better than the other episodes and it kept me entertained and actually wanting to see what was going to happen. It was also nice to see Jeremy acting nice.

beensince1987
#717NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 12:23am

I was rewatching a bits from last night. maybe it's just me, but I was kinda bothered how Kyle pronounced "broadWAY".

Also I so hope Eileen was played by a man. (Not a drag way but as a woman)
Updated On: 3/7/13 at 12:23 AM

broadwayfever
#718NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 2:36am

^That would be interesting.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#720NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 3:38pm

It would be the perfect show for Bravo for repeats, like "Sex and the City" on E if it goes in to syndication.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#721NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 7:38pm

shows need at least 4 seasons to go into syndication right? SMASH still has 2 more years to go for that to happen...

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#722NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 7:39pm

New Song from Hit List from next week's episode "Heart-Shaped Wreckage"

http://www.nbc.com/smash/video/heart-shaped-wreckage/n33562

Is it just me or is Hit List very High School Musical?

FindingNamo
#723NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 7:44pm

They will have the equivalent of approximately one season of shows since they only do 12 a season.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#724NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/7/13 at 8:08pm

Syndication goes by number of episodes, not seasons.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos