News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 33

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#800NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 9:23am

I actually liked last night's episode quite a bit. Now if the earlier episodes this season had been just as good, I don't think there'd be an issue of it not being renewed.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#801NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 9:31am

SPIDERDJ I agree with everythin you said!! I loved tonight's episode too, Back to Basics!..no adoption, peanut poisoning,Dev and if may add no Jennifer "my face is frozen in one look" Hudson. The show should be mostly about th core group...Ivy, Karen, Derek, Tom, Julia

JANE, i loved Jeremey in Bonnie and Clyde and Newsies, but I gotta say theyve turned him here into a too sensitive brat.

Im thinking Sean Hayes is supposed to be Jim Careyish?

It might be me but i think last years songs were way better?

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

SporkGoddess
#802NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 9:40am

"I can't believe you're picking your career over your friends whom you've known for like two weeks and one of which is always yelling at you!"

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

FindingNamo
#803NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 9:47am

"Bemadatmefine." I wish they had an auto-articulation program for poor Karen.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Ham3
#804NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 10:22am

"Bloody hell! I missed it!!"

Borstalboy it's online at nbc.com

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#805NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 10:33am

Jeremy Jordan's character, "so all you want to do is star in a new huge musical on Broadway where you're already being called a new star, instead of quitting it to do a show for free in a basement one night for us -- because we are your new friends". Get a grip -- talk about a bad friend!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#806NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 11:09am

Was the whole "we have to introduce Karen to the world in Bombshell" thing having to do with how Smash said "Introducing Katharine McPhee" even though she'd been in movies before? It seemed odd and unlike a real concern. I don't think Venus in Fur HAD to introduce Nina Arianda to the world!

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#807NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 11:11am

I don't like it, but, I understand the use of auto-tune, I really do. But good grief can't they at least make the voices sound like they are coming from humans? The McPhee/Jordan duet in front of the Pepsi sign was, to me, painful. Like a bag of screeching cats...before they're tossed in the river.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

Gothampc
#808NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 12:04pm

So the gay composer is directing. Is that based on Arthur Laurents?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#809NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 12:08pm

Because that's the only gay man who's ever directed his own work?

Was the whole "we have to introduce Karen to the world in Bombshell" thing having to do with how Smash said "Introducing Katharine McPhee" even though she'd been in movies before? It seemed odd and unlike a real concern. I don't think Venus in Fur HAD to introduce Nina Arianda to the world!

I found that entire conversation unrealistic, but I understood that they needed it to create the reason for Karen's conflict and ultimate decision. Still, I find it incredibly hard to believe that Equity would ever allow a contract that barred a performer from taking other work.

Finally, I can't even think of an actor that had ABSOLUTELY NO stage appearances before starring on Broadway. Does Jerry (or any producer, for that matter) really think that an actor has to have zero credits (not even professional - HIT LIST was unpaid [which is also inaccurate, but that's a different story]) in order to say you're "introducing" them? Heck, all of Smash's advertising said "introducing Katherine McPhee," even though she was known from Idol and had a handful of movie roles before the show.

So, understandable since they needed the conflict, but insanely unrealistic and implausible.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
Updated On: 3/13/13 at 12:08 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#810NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 12:13pm

I saw the Tom reveal coming early (and it looks like next week--though Smash trailers can never be trusted--they show that he doesn't do it easily) but I had a thought for a split second when Eileen focused on Julia that the show was really crazy enough to give her character the directing duties--even if there is more precedent for a bookwriter/lyricist to direct than a composer.

I see Sean Hayes' character as more being Jerry Lewish-ish, but...

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#811NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 12:31pm

WHY DOES EVERYONE IN THIS SHOW LOOK LIKE THEY'VE COME DIRECTLY FROM A MICRODERMABRASION?????

With that out of the way, can I just say, 'Brava, SMASH!'

Had you done this from the mutherF*CKing get-go, it could have been a fun, pulpy show about the world of the theater. Yes...a lot still doesn't really track. But who cares??? We're not in New York, we're in 'New York.' And they're not on Broadway, they're on 'Broadway.' I'm good with the alternate universe if what they're getting at is entertaining and has the slightest bit of emotional truth about it. Huzzah, as my 'Shakes' friends say.

It's probably too little, to late. But we of the theater are nothing if not hopeful. So we live in hope of one day getting to Moscow (sorry...just say Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike last night).

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#812NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 1:03pm

Early ratings are out, viewership went from 2.6 to 2.9 so thats a plus!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#813NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 1:11pm

The share went up to a 0.9 too.

This episode was fun and it's too bad they didn't start the season off this way instead of bombard us with Jennifer Hudson for three weeks. I mean a .9 is nothing to celebrate about, but I hope that Smash can at least go out with some respectability and find a 1.0 before season's end.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ucjrdude902
#814NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 1:20pm

If they keep climbing we might get a third season after all NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- . And honestly, if you aren't watching you should be, it's turning into a pretty great show.

Updated On: 3/13/13 at 01:20 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#815NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 1:41pm

Oh, my optimistic compatriots, there's almost no way this is getting another season.

ARTc
#816NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 1:45pm

Just finished watching the most recent episode (iTunes).

I must confess that I haven't read every post here or any of the other Smash related threads. I just wanted to add my two cents. Wow. This show sucks! And, its not even close to being accurate, offering a rather skewed vision of how a Broadway show is rehearsed and created.

And, the characters. Even the new characters that were added this season are just dreadful. I just want to punch Jimmy, and I've really enjoyed Jeremy Jordan in his other ventures.

Why is this so bad? The source material - the process of creating a Broadway musical - had so much potential.

I am so disappointed.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#817NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 2:29pm

k

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#818NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 3:24pm

if the ratings can continue to climb at a steady rate, we might have hope for a third season. it's progress, and considering how good last night's episode was, hopefully those 2.9 can make it jump to around 3.4 for next week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#819NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 3:30pm

hopefully youre right ACL, NBC is such a mess that it may slip thru, especially if it keeps improving

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#820NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 3:37pm

I'd rather it definitively end this season, than be cancelled next season without a definitive end due to premature confidence.

Updated On: 3/13/13 at 03:37 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#821NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 3:41pm

It's definitely going to be canceled.

ucjrdude902
#822NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 3:47pm

I think the ratings climb could be what Greenblatt uses as the selling point to bring it back at a stricter budget and fewer episodes.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#823NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 3:50pm

"And, its not even close to being accurate, offering a rather skewed vision of how a Broadway show is rehearsed and created. "

Cmon. Is GLEE really accurate potrayal of HS Glee club? Oh yeah, Rachel flubs audition but gets second chance in highly thought of school of the arts (that's realistic - lol). Ever watch medical shows with somebody who is in the field, they laugh at all of the things that are not realistic to enhance the story line. If you want really accurate vision of behind the scenes of a Broadway show, watch a documentary of one.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#824NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 3:51pm

"it's progress, and considering how good last night's episode was, hopefully those 2.9 can make it jump to around 3.4 for next week."

When was the last time that happened? I mean it's not impossible, but that would be a huge jump for the current state of network tv, though I suppose of The Voice was made the lead-in again it could happen.

OK, they mentioned Tom and Derek's "history" together yesterday, and I realized I had totally blocked out their figh last year at the performance space where Karen sang that Britney style song. Anyone care to refresh me (as I'm sure the details will be of utmost attention) Something like Derek had a secretly gay father and somehow Tom knew?

I still see no chance of it continuing this year--the only reason really would be if none of the drama pilots ordered by NBC have any test audience traction and they don't pick much up.

Videos