News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 34

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#825NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 3:53pm

Then only do 12 episode seasons anyway. I can't imagine a broadcast network renewing a show for less than 12.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#826NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 3:54pm

Loved the Urban Cowboy line.

Poster Emeritus

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#827NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 4:01pm

i was on the edge of my chair watching last night...for two reasons...i was hoping that America would finally come back to wachting this superb show and that BOMBSHELL would go forward when Derek leaves the show...and now in the next week previews it looks like Kilty becomes MARYLIN,,,thanks god!...and McPhee goes into the new show now directed by Derek...alls well if this all happens in my oppinion...love this season...

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#828NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 4:21pm

"Cmon. Is GLEE really accurate potrayal of HS Glee club? Oh yeah, Rachel flubs audition but gets second chance in highly thought of school of the arts (that's realistic - lol)."

Yeah at this point in the discussion, I think that argument is beyond a moot point. Of course ARTc said very happilythathe had not read any posts on SMASH (somehow)...

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#829NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 4:22pm

They do 16.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#830NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 4:37pm

Let's be honest here, SMASH isn't turning into a pretty great show and it will not get renewed for a third season, so let's be optimistic within reason: so this past episode was one of their strongest ever (thank you, Megan Hilty and Sean Hayes, can't they just have their own show?), and the uptick in ratings means that they might actually air the entire season as opposed to pulling it from the schedule.
I absolutely cannot stand Katharine McPhee, she's so vacuous, there's nothing going on behind her eyes. Jeremy Jordan has one of the worst characters on network TV at the moment, and that poor gay composer he lives with is so whiney it's sad. And oh my God, what was that wig they gave Karen? The HIT LIST storyline is just so so so bad.
The LIAISONS (or whatever the musical is called) storyline is so great though, it's funny and fun, which is something the show really lacks when it focuses on Karen. Megan Hilty's "Glitter and Be Gay" inspired number was priceless and it shows the great potential the show has if only it found the right tone. Hilty and Hayes have such good chemistry, and Veanne Cox is, as usual, a scene stealer, the URBAN COWBOY line was priceless.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#831NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 4:37pm

I stand corrected, but still.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#832NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 5:16pm

And this season is 18.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#833NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 5:24pm

Well, than I definitely see a 12 episode season in its future!

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#834NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 5:29pm

I'm late to the party as we discuss the latest episode, "The Fringe."

What a strong episode. Looks like SMASH is back on track! Whew! And for those who love to hate the show, quit yo' bellyachin'! If this show stays consistent with this last episode, I'm pretty sure we may get a season three. Only tim will tell. NBC still hasn't said it was CANCELLED or RENEWED! The verdict is still out!

Lastly, what was up with Kat McPhee's hair in the Hit List number? The set was gorgeous. The curled hair and those bangs a hot mess!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#835NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:07pm

So, who's Tim, and when will he spill the beans? NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#836NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:15pm

I apologize if this has been answered, but can anyone remember an example where a composer (who wasn't also the lyricist and bookwriter) was asked to take over the direction of a show?

From personal experience, I don't know where a composer would find the time.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#837NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:25pm

DEClarke - a bump in the ratings while having a strong episode may help the show even a little more. They got back to the show being about shows trying to get on Broadway which should have always been the main focus. IMO - Megan Hilty's performances alone is worth tuning in to the show. I am hoping NBC gives the show more of a chance and maybe a better lead in and time slot.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#838NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:28pm

I agree about Hilty. I've never seen her live and was thrilled to hear her sing a "legit" operetta aria.

Last night's episode made me want to run to my keyboard and write a new lyric. Not many episodes of SMASH have had that effect.

ARTc
#839NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:34pm

yankeefan7, I don't watch Glee. Well, that's not completely true. Many of my friends insisted that I give Glee a chance, so I rented season 1 and watched a few episodes. Wow, was that dreadful. Actually, Smash is realism compared to Glee.

I guess what I was trying to communicate was that the process of mounting a Broadway show and the lives of all the participants would have been a brilliant TV soap opera. Smash isn't that.

Updated On: 3/13/13 at 06:34 PM

broadwayfever
#840NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:44pm

Now that "Hit List" is a go, I assume Krysta Rodriguez (Ana) will be stepping up to take the lead female role since Karen can't do it. Of course, Karen will get jealous once she sees Jimmy kissing Ana.

Well at least we'll finally get to see Krysta shine and show Katherine how it's really done on Broadway.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#841NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:46pm

ArtC - ok, I understand your point better now. I agree SMASH is not brillant but I find it enjoyable. IMO - the writers of the show have not matched the quality of the original songs created for "Bombshell" and some of the performances (exp. Megan Hilty).I think fans of the show like myself will agree that the show is much better when it is a episode like last night that concentrates on getting a show on Broadway and not all the other sub plots from Season One.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#842NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:49pm

Breaking news!
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/03/13/nbc-announces-smash-saturday-burn-off-shuffles-go-on-and-the-new-normal-finales-moves-ready-for-love-into-post-voice-tuesday-slot/173353/

Smash is moved to Saturday burn off, but will air all the episodes

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#843NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:49pm

EDIT: TOO SLOW

Updated On: 3/13/13 at 06:49 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#844NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:50pm

BUT IT HAD TEN MORE VIEWERS THIS WEEK!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#845NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:50pm

Was just about to post this!

Really a shame, hopefully they've wrapped up any big storylines.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#846NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:55pm

ugh this is annoying, especially since they gave the Voice lead in to the 'Ready for Love' show which looks awful. I guess we should just be happy we get the rest of the episodes.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#847NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:58pm

We really should be happy that they airing all the episodes. I think NBC is being kind to the fans for doing this. Any other show would have been pulled weeks ago. We just need to savor the dozen episodes we have left.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#848NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 6:59pm

Ah, Saturday, where failing shows go to die.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#849NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/13/13 at 7:00pm

Pardon my ignorance, in the States Saturday's kind of a graveyard thing yes? But on the plus side they are airing all the epi's, but no chance of a season three if that's what they're doing.

Last night's show seemed so much more focused and coherent and it's such a shame it's come too late in the game. It never needed all the personal padding storylines, it really did need to be about the show or shows and when they go with that it more or less works.

But I thought we already knew very early on, wasn't it talked about here, about Derek leaving to do Hit List, Tom would take over on Bombshell bringing Ivy back and Karen would end up going to Hit List with Derek?

Videos