News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows- Page 3

This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#50re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 2:18pm

Yes, limited runs like Cyrano and the Grinch won't be able to recoup their entire cost, but if they re-open for a couple of weeks, they'd at least have a chance to offset a few hundred thousand dollars more of the loss and return that to the investors (and actually the Grinch will get the benefit of those incredibly lucrative sold out weeks around Xmas). If they don't re-open at all, they lose everything. Why wouldn't they try to recover at least SOME of the money their investors will lose?

So basically for a show with either a threat of closing in the near future, a closing notice or a short run the dilemma the producers must face is weighing the loss of money of either:

a. Closing the show immediately and not having to pay for insurance, stipends, utilities, theater upkeep etc.

vs.

b. Staying "open" until the strike is over and hoping the possible profit post-strike will outweigh the costs inferred during the strike (minus operating costs)?

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#51re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 2:27pm

The shows that will likely close due to the strike are Les Miz, Drowsy, Legally Blonde, Spelling Bee(already announced) & Rent.

If the strike continues into December, shows that might be in danger are Avenue Q, A Chorus Line, Chicago, Spamalot & The Color Purple.

Is this person serious? If you have no idea what your talking about just shut your mouth. You listed a show that isnt even affected by the stike and is making loads of extra money and your telling us that its going to close because of the strike.

Spamalot.... really? Come on you definatly could have come up with something better than that.

"Have they come yet?"

MargoChanning
#52re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 2:39pm

"So basically for a show with either a threat of closing in the near future, a closing notice or a short run the dilemma the producers must face is weighing the loss of money of either:

a. Closing the show immediately and not having to pay for insurance, stipends, utilities, theater upkeep etc.

vs.

b. Staying "open" until the strike is over and hoping the possible profit post-strike will outweigh the costs inferred during the strike (minus operating costs)?"

Well, in terms of option A, isn't the purpose of their share of $20 million war chest to offset most, if not all, of those fixed costs they may incur for the duration of the strike? If so, it wouldn't make any sense then not to re-open and take advantage of the potentially very large tourist crowds that are typically here the month of December to further offest any losses.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

typecastme22
#53re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:05pm

I have heard from a very reliable source that Rent and Drowsy are not likely to reopen after the strike. My guess would be due to the loss of income that is usually expected around the holiday season...not the actual strike.

We will have to wait and see though.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#54re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:06pm

Oh for god sake

Shows are not really loosing a lot of money, they just aren't making money.This talk of shows closing is bloody stupid

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#55re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:07pm

Typecast-Shows make more money during the holidays, not less.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#56re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:08pm

Except now it doesn't particularly matter because it's unlikely that we're going to see the holidays.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

typecastme22
#57re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:08pm

I meant the loss of the increased income because of the strike....They are losing the period where their income is greatly increased.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#58re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:09pm

Yes but shows like rent are not going to fold because the shows shut down for a week or 2, it will harm them but not close them

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Studmuffn520
#59re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:12pm

i pray i get to see drowsy before it closes. i cant believe i havent seen it yet

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#60re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:26pm

There is no way that shows like Rent or Chicago, which have been on the boards for 11 years are going to simply close without a large amount of fanfare.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#61re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:37pm

Sue me for being optimistic, but I have a feeling they'll negotiate one more time after Thanksgiving week, and then we'll all be out of this nightmare.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#62re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:41pm

Ahhh Glinda - you're a breath of fresh air. re: This Strike probably  just shut down 4-5 broadway shows

Taka Profile Photo
Taka
#63re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:52pm

Glinda, you are really gifted with the gift of calming people's nerves. :)

I must admit that I often get lost in the moment, and as a result lose my cool. Half of my posts are rash ones, and it takes either someone insults me or criticizeses my opinion or sane, rational people like you to make me snap out of it. I'm always very relieved when the later happens and not the former. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

AngActing Profile Photo
AngActing
#64re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:56pm

>> Sue me for being optimistic, but I have a feeling they'll
>> negotiate one more time after Thanksgiving week, and then
>> we'll all be out of this nightmare.

Actually, despite a bit of the stages of grief (as I thought it would be THIS LAST WEEKEND and we'd be "in business" now) -- I am completely in agreement with you Galinda. In fact, I don't only "feel" it; I know it in my heart and soul!

I still say we see it as so . . .by Sunday after Thanksgiving or Monday! Broadway comes back!

Love and Stage Lights, Angela Theresa

Rotel1026
#65re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:58pm

"There is no way that shows like Rent or Chicago, which have been on the boards for 11 years are going to simply close without a large amount of fanfare."

Does a large gathering outside the theater count? Party on the picket line!!! re: This Strike probably  just shut down 4-5 broadway shows

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#66re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 4:00pm

I'm glad you all think your wild guesses hold any truth whatsoever. Really useful.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/19/07 at 04:00 PM

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#67re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 4:42pm

Fire them!

This is a ridiculous strike. Sorry but the work the stagehands do does not warrant this sort of strongarming. Pushing a mop does not mean you deserve a huge raise. If you do not like your salary get another job in the real world.

There are normal people out there who would kill for these jobs and the current salaries that go with them.

As a result the theatrical community's economy will be crippled this Thanksgiving: the shows, the restaurants, the Times [no ad revenue], etc.

I wonder if Off-Bway shows will add more perfs to their skeds?

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

AngActing Profile Photo
AngActing
#68re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 4:48pm

>> I'm glad you all think your wild guesses hold any
>> truth whatsoever. Really useful.

Are you speaking to people who are guessing what shows may close? Or the optimistic posts by me or others?

If it is about the "bright side" posts and visualizations -- it's not a guess, it's a "hope" and a prayer, really. It may not hold truth for you . . . it helps me feel better, though! *wink*

It can be useful to those who enjoy law of attraction and positive meditations and thoughts . . .

I can't say I am innocent of posting some angry rants and such. Still, I am working on balancing them out with some positive thoughts and hopes. What else can we do? Any suggestions appreciated . . . as long as they're positive, of course!

Love and Stage Lights, Angela Theresa

localonecrew
#69re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 6:10pm

"Pushing a mop does not mean you deserve a huge raise. If you do not like your salary get another job in the real world. "

we are not asking for a huge raise. this strike is not about the producers not giving us something we demanded. its about the union not giving something the league demanded.
As for pushing a mop, i have been a local one stagehand for 20 years and i have never touched a mop. i have rigged hundred thousand pound set peices so that they dont drop and kill someone.
as to whos side you are on i do not care, but get a clue as to what this strike is actually about before you mouth off.

ignorance isnt given, its earned.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#70re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 6:50pm

Nobody in specific. Just all the wild guessing and speculation that's grounded in absolutely nothing, both in whining and otherwise. Honestly, the only thing I find useful right now is either valid information, or speculation from people who have proven themselves knowledgeable.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/19/07 at 06:50 PM

Hester Prynne Profile Photo
Hester Prynne
#71re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 7:16pm

massofmen again proves he knows nothing! (and yet still finds a way to post something about LB, although he stated he never would again!) What happened to those architect message boards you were going to?

Thanks for all your insight Margo. Glad you are back on the board!

MassOfMen on 5/17/07: "and lastly, I have no vested interest in LB. I have seen the show, I paid my money (a lot of money for that tix) I didn't watch it on a bootleg, yes I saw the flesh and bone of the people up there working their tails off. But do I really have to explain myself to you? are you the judge jury and executioner of Bwyworld.com message board? no. But I digress, I will leave this subject as I am bored of the rebuttals anyway, and go back to "wasting my time" with the job of building buildings. We have chat boards for architects as well, ya know."

jennie2 Profile Photo
jennie2
#72re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/21/07 at 10:53pm

I personally don't have tickets to go see any of the shows.

This is just my opinion, in a way I can sort of see why they are doing the strike, because I'm sure there is more behind it then what's being told, but then again we could already know everything.

But, the sad part of all of this is.. This is literally some of these people careers. They live off of these jobs. And I'm sorry, but this job is like any other job, if I was getting paid as much as any of them were, I wouldn't be complaining one bit. It beats 7 dollars an hour any day. Where exactly are either of them being considerate enough to get this figured out and agree on something quick for these people. I mean I'm sure the actors have plenty of money to last them for awhile, but it's still their job, something they love and yet they can't do it.

This strike just isn't affecting the stagehands.

If i was an actor yes I'd support those people and be grateful for them for busting their butts to get the props out like they are supposed to, but to want to get paid more and literally keeping my own job on the line because of it, it's a bit selfish in my personal opinion. I'm going to stress that because I don't want anyone to be offended. And I'm truly sorry if anyone is.

And also, people who finally made it on broadway, ones who really work their butts off trying to live their dream and finally getting that chance and it's being put on hold when they can't exactly just jump back to the other job they had because they were promised this job.

I mean I personally just think it's at fault on both sides that are fighting against to really compromise. I hope they handle this soon because regardless of what anyone thinks, this is someone's dream and career being put on hold and can any of you personally say you'd want your dream and career being put on hold for something like this? I could understand if they really weren't making much at all, but considering the amount they get paid.

Also, we really aren't helping by putting out speculations that shows are going to be canceled for good. Everyone needs to stay with the actual facts instead of going overboard. And if you live in NY go to these strikes and show your appreciation to the actors and such who are standing out there trying to support these people. Yes they have no choice really, but they are there. Honestly they could leave at any point in time if they wanted to so the fact they are standing out in the freezing cold showing support even though their career is on hold. I'd personally be there everyday supporting the actors those who don't have a choice but to be there.

Once again just my opinion and I guess you can say a little bit of advice. Nothing has to be taken seriously if you really don't want to.

IT GIVES ME ENERGY!!

Allshowsrock
#73re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:10pm

to the ppl who are saying "Just fire the stage hands" that wont work, they might as well try to talk it out again, cuz either way if they do fire, rehire and train the new stagehands for ALL the shows it will still be a few weeks till all the shows are back up in running, they might as well try to save jobs and talk it out.
And it is HORRIBLE that these shows might close. Sure we all have our shows we hate but remember that show that might be closing has fans and they will be devestated by the closing. Obviously some show is gonna close (pray that they wont but it looks like it)
RENT might surivive it, it still has a HUGE fan base and still brings in a okay audience. But if it does close...it had a great run, and hey, they might do a revival lol
Is Avenue Q in danger? I mean the grosses werent AMAZING but it still brings in a hefty amount. GOD LET THE STRIKE END!!!

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#74re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:13pm

This thread (and board) makes my head hurt.

"Have they come yet?"

Videos