News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)- Page 5

Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)

Tom 2 Profile Photo
Tom 2
#100Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 4:06pm

When is is supposed to open? Would like to write a press release for it.

Tom McGovern Jr

SnoopyQc Profile Photo
SnoopyQc
#101Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 4:11pm

My only complaint is that she is way to old to play Gigi (she's 26). In the novel, Gigi is 15 years old (going on 16). I know that it's a conscious choice to age her in this production but, for me, that changes all the storyline.

I know that the fact of a 15 years old girl married a 33 years old man is quite shocking by today's standard. But,that was the usual in "la Belle Époque" as well. The entire novel is about that: A little girl is ask to become a woman too soon. But under the pressure of her relatives, she'll matures into an adult and choose her own way.

Plus, there is no way that he can pass as a "little girl".

Maybe I do not speak English as well as you, but I can perfectly pronounce the names of all characters of Les Misérables.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#102Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 4:13pm

Well in the novel she is courtesan and the original deal is to essentially be sold to Gaston, but then they get married.

Updated On: 12/22/14 at 04:13 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#103Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 4:15pm

Leslie Caron was older than Vanessa Hudgens when she played Gigi in the film.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SnoopyQc Profile Photo
SnoopyQc
#104Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 4:24pm

That's true, but she played her younger (we actually believe she is still a teenager). But, look by the promo, Vanessa Hudgens look in her twenty. But I really hope that she will look younger on stage (at least younger than Corey Cott).

Maybe I do not speak English as well as you, but I can perfectly pronounce the names of all characters of Les Misérables.
Updated On: 12/22/14 at 04:24 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#105Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 4:29pm

Not only was Caron older than Gigi (though she played Gigi as a teenager, true), Jourdan was older than Gaston (and seemed older), and as for Chevalier....

Honore doesn't even exist as a character in the novella. He first appeared in a French 1948 non-musical film version.

In an age when "check your privilege" has become a mantra, maybe we also sometimes have to "check our purism"

Updated On: 12/22/14 at 04:29 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#106Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 4:37pm

Heidi Thomas talks about Gigi's age-change (she's now 18 in this - they felt 15 was too young for modern audiences), the re-assignment of "Thank Heaven For Little Girls" (now sung by Hoty and Clark), and more in this article. I'll be interested in seeing the show, Thomas seems to know what she's talking about.
INTERVIEW WITH HEIDI THOMAS

degrassifan
#107Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 5:30pm

Hudgens looks 18 to me, and that's what they are going for.

RW3
GetUp&LiveIt
#109Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 10:44pm

She seems absolutely lovely

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#110Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/23/14 at 8:12am

CarlosAlberto
#111Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/23/14 at 10:55am

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#112Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/23/14 at 11:11am

I have pretty much zero interest in this production, but Vanessa Hudgens looks stunning in those rehearsal photos.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CarlosAlberto
#113Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/23/14 at 11:14am

Leslie Caron was 26 when she was filming GIGI in 1957 the SAME EXACT AGE as Vanessa Hudgens is right now.

So what's the problem?

SnoopyQc Profile Photo
SnoopyQc
#114Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/23/14 at 2:18pm

For clarification, it's not the age of Vanessa Hudgens that is a problem for me. I didn't like the way she played Gigi in the promo (like a mature woman who want to seduce someone). But now that I have see the rehearsal photos, I am way more optimist.She look more like a young girl. And, her character seem inconfortable playing a courtesan.

My real problem is the difference of age between Gigi et Gaston. I understand why they want them to be around the same age. But, in my opinion, this is a significant change in the storyline.

But I really like this piece. The movie isn't perfect and I think that some changes are necessary to bring it to Broadway. I also like the casting and I have nothing against Vanessa Hudgens.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#115Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/23/14 at 3:03pm

At the risk of sounding as I'm overreacting to overreaction, keep calm and carry on.

It's Only a Musical.

sctrojan65
#116Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/24/14 at 10:27am

"Keep calm and carry on..." Agreed.

I just wish this show as going to be open when I'm in NY. I'd really like to see it.

I was actually okay with the movie. And I would definitely like to see it on the stage.

Updated On: 12/24/14 at 10:27 AM

RW3

Videos