News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Weird "Carrie The Musical" commercial from 1988

Weird "Carrie The Musical" commercial from 1988

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#1Weird "Carrie The Musical" commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 8:15am

Well, not weird, but it doesn't exactly make you think it's a musical.
Carrie

....but the world goes 'round

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#2Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 8:23am

Cool...thanks for posting!

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#2Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 11:05am

That was a great commercial, and if I recall, there was a version with a voice over with the oft quoted:
"There's never been a musical like her!" Awesome! The quote was also on the poster after that.

I actually dont get why she's in a warehouse, though.

What's great about it is that mimics the poster art.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#3Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 12:42pm

Thats been around forever
Yes the longer version (by a couple of seconds) does have a very deep voiced man saying 'There's never been a musical like her'

Quite a fun commercial, very 80s lol

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#4Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 3:10pm

I actually dont get why she's in a warehouse, though.

Judging by the lockers I'd say it's supposed to be a high school hallway. It is very warehouse-like, though, I'll give you that.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 3:50pm

I thought it was the girl's locker room. There are lockers with benches in front of them. Very creepy and effective commercial. I always liked it. I really liked the poster, too.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#6Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 3:59pm

LOL...I always thought it was in a factory or boiler room!!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#7Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 4:35pm

How in the world would you call that an "effective" commercial?

It makes it seem like she's a turban-wearing woman in hiding or something in a warehouse if you ask me. I love that they even have the big white tiles and of course, the laser beams... Too much to handle!

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#8Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 6:03pm

Tuban wearing woman? She's not wearing anything on her head.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#9Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 6:09pm

I generally think the marketing for this show was fantastic. Great TV spot, amazing poster. Really, one of the beset posters ever. Its failure had nothing to do with the marketing and everything to do with the production and the reviews.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#10Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 6:27pm

The "Total Eclipse of the Heart"-esque lasers made my day.

AEA AGMA SM
#11Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 7:14pm

"I generally think the marketing for this show was fantastic. Great TV spot, amazing poster. Really, one of the beset posters ever. Its failure had nothing to do with the marketing and everything to do with the production and the reviews."

I don't know, there was that publicity photo of her looking quite happy to be covered in blood. The one that was used on the cover of "Not Since Carrie." I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was used as part of their overall publicity campaign.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#12Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 7:32pm

That picture was actually part of a "serious" photo shoot (the one picture was used for promo, I think it was in black & white), and Linzi Hateley was caught off guard when she realized how ridiculous she looked... and they took it. It was only used for the book, it wasn't ever meant as part of the production marketing.

I feel so stupid to ask, but I never even understood the art work!
Updated On: 6/2/11 at 07:32 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#13Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 8:17pm

It's half of her face and she's shedding a red tear.

....but the world goes 'round

#14Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 10:07pm

I love it. But, and I say this as a true Carrie lover, I think, even knowing it was a musical, if I saw that, and the poster, and then went to the musical and the curtain raised and started hearing "In" (I think that's the opening number) I would be... well a bit disappointed to say the least.

It's def the girl's locker room (really she should be surrounded by bloody tampons :P ) but it does remind me more of the warehouse/boiler room in the original Nightmare on Elm Street.

Rypm25 Profile Photo
Rypm25
#15Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 10:22pm

Also, regarding the poster art...the three wavy lines representing her hair is also a symbol used when studying esp...you could google it and find out more about it if you want..:)

#16Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/2/11 at 10:56pm

Clever! If only the advertising firm had designed the show...

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#17Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/3/11 at 8:47am

I don't remember the commercial, but I DO remember this TV review, Pat Collins, whom I seem to remember loved everything:

http://youtu.be/WZRannDMsiQ

"The only thing horrifying about this musical is that there's a second act."

"The Stephen King novel used an ordinary suburban high school for a night of murder, revenge and terror. After a night with this musical, I know how those kids felt."

"In all my years of reviewing, this is right up there in the top 10 of the worst musicals I have ever seen. How it even got this far is a major mystery to me."

Flight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
#18Weird 'Carrie The Musical' commercial from 1988
Posted: 6/3/11 at 12:10pm

Reminds me of the movie "Aliens". Think of Carrie as Newt.

"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"

Videos