News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What should I take two 14 year olds to see?- Page 3

What should I take two 14 year olds to see?

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#50re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 1:51am

Im 14 (But im told I am very mature for my age) My all-time favorite shows are Spring Awakening and RENT. RENT has a little bit of adult content but there isnt a tremendous amount (Show them the movie first). Spring Awakening I feel has more adult content, I feel they might be able to connect with the characters more because they're around the age the actors are acting them out in. There is a sex scene (though they handle it perfectly, and some breats are shown and some brief nudity is shown of a butt), and there is a scene of masturbation.

If You Dont Find These Approproate I Say Go With:
Legally Blonde
Xanadu
Hairspray
Wicked
and Jersey Boys

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

gymdudeva
#51re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 8:32am

"Naked Boys Singing"

Seriously, I don't think Rent is appropriate, and certainly not Spring Awakening (and I am a HUGE fan of both shows). One caveat with Xanadu: it's a spoof, so some of the fun is lost if you don't know what is being spoofed, so if you see it you may want to watch the original movie first.

"The Fantasticks" off-Broadway could be great (is if it's still open...).

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#52re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 8:47am

i have to disagree with renthead1... Spring Awakening may be a good show for a 14 year old but i think they would feel incredibly uncomfortable seeing it with a parent. I know I would and I'm 19. Rent on the other hand, sure there are some moments but you'll get over it quickly and if they havent seen it they should. (and i dont think i'd reccomend seeing the film first... at all, if they havent already)

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#53re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 10:01am

Legally Blonde
Hairspray
Wicked
Xanadu
Grease

maybe Curtains?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#54re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 10:14am

I love Xanadu although I'm well past fourteen. I've seen a lot of people bringing teenage girls in particular and they seem to like it. It's really funny.
Other choices: Wicked, Little Mermaid (I surprised myself when I liked this one!), Hairspray (I taught 6th grade and a girl I taught loved it), Legally Blonde would be my other pick.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#55re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 10:28am

Xanadu all the way. And go for the on stage seating. It was the best theater experience I had this year, well besides seeing Walmartopia and laughing uncontrollably at how awful it was.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#56re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 12:00pm

Enough with the musicals - Take them to see a play and show them what serious theatre is all about. There are plenty of excellent plays running right now.

xOnMyOwnX
#58re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/25/08 at 1:18am

ok i know this is going off topic, but most of oyu are severly underestimating the maturity of 14 year olds. i just turned 15 (i know i said i was 14 in the other post, i must have lost my train of thought) and i love RENT!! it is definetly not too mature for 14 year olds. and whoever said they'd be bored with hairspray, what the hell? hairspray is fun and fast paced and charms audiences of all ages.

bottom line is that these 14 year olds are probably more mature than you think. they dont live under rocks

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#59re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/25/08 at 9:04am

Deffinately Hairspray -

It is very good and is fairly mature in that it tackles racism etc. You won't regret it.

RENTingFAME Profile Photo
RENTingFAME
#60re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/25/08 at 2:03pm

I was 14 the first time I saw RENT (mature for my age though I was, I still love it, and I've seen it with 14 year-olds before) and I think it would be great to see with your kids, especially before it closes. RENT is an amazing show and an amazing experience.

Other than that, Hairspray is a blast and the other suggestions are good as well. I too would, however, probably nix Spring Awakening not because your kids couldn't handle it, but because I too (almsost 18, here, and very close to my mom) feel it would be awkward to see with a parent. You can ask them.

Have fun!

Measure your life in love, RENTheads, and keep it always in your heart.

Avatar: Me with Al Larson, Jonathan Larson's father.

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#61re: What should I take two 14 year olds to see?
Posted: 1/25/08 at 2:26pm

I would say Little Mermaid , for sure!

Videos