News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Why Does "9 to 5" Have More Credibility Than "Rock of Ages"? - Page 4

Why Does "9 to 5" Have More Credibility Than "Rock of Ages"?

JazzSquare55
#75re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 9:36pm

You're a JACKASS.

The same can be said about all of the Constantine fan girls....

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#76re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 9:50pm

And Popular, I still stand by my point that I would expect you to like 9 to 5 more than Rock of Ages because of your undying love Mrs. Block.

And I'll stand by my point that you don't know me well enough to make such a statement. I grew up in the 80's. I love the music. My enjoyment of ROA would probably depend on who I saw it with, much like how who you go to a particular concert with sometimes makes a difference on how much fun you have at it. If I saw ROA with one of my friends who is as nostalgic about that era as I am I think I would have a damn good time.

That doesn't mean you can't see the faults in the show, but I would expect you to defend it. That's it. Nothing more.

What I was defending was not 9 TO 5, it was my right to think something is funny even though you didn't. You took your OPINION (Where as "9 to 5" thinks its hilarious, and it really isn't.) and stated it as a FACT; thereby invalidating my sense of humor simply because I thought the show was witty. You have a right to your opinion, and I would NEVER shoot it down... it was just your tone in how you stated it that I took offense to.

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 09:50 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#77re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 11:07pm

Woah. Calm down. I'm not saying there aren't ANY funny parts in the whole show, but there are some def. bombs.

I mean, "Just do it. That'll be a good ad campaign someday." How did this line stay in the show? Who laughed at this? What?!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#78re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 11:22pm

9 TO 5 (the film) was campy and so are some of the jokes/many of the aspects of the musical. Some of the campy pieces translate well to the stage and others don't. And the "just do it" line gets a laugh from the tourists and people with a bad sense of humor.

The book kinda sucks, as I said when I saw the first preview. But it's Shakespeare compared to ROCK OF AGES.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#79re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 12:05am

But see this is why I started the thread. I'm not a big fan of either show, but to say that "9 to 5" is Shakespeare compared to "Rock of Ages" is just stupid to me. How is one show better than the other? They both are pretty much going after the same crowd - the tourists. So what makes one better than the other? One's a chick flick on stage, the other is a trashy, campy 80s rock musical?

And you still didn't answer why the hell that joke would still be in the show after an out-of-town run and a preview period on Broadway.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#80re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 12:10am

I mean, "Just do it. That'll be a good ad campaign someday." How did this line stay in the show? Who laughed at this? What?!

Agreed! That line did seem kind of forced. I'm not debating that with you. My point is... if they kept it in because people WERE laughing (why else would they?) then why put down the people whose sense of humor it appealed to? That's all I'm saying. I'm not getting worked up over this or anything... just trying to once again sincerely ask why it's necessary to insult the audience who enjoy it?

And the "just do it" line gets a laugh from the tourists and people with a bad sense of humor.

Not trying to pick on you Wickedrocks, but another fine example. So if I'm a tourist (which I am while in NY) and I laugh at that, I have a bad sense of humor? C'mon now. Maybe I'm just reading into this too much but I can think of more appropriate circumstances under which to label someone as having a bad sense of humor. And isn't a "bad sense of humor" a term usually reserved for people who DON'T laugh?

I'm not attacking anyone. I hope that comes across in my posts because I'm really just trying to carry on a discussion.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#81re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 12:21am

No, no, I totally get where you're coming from, but I honestly don't understand what is funny about that line? I mean, they don't work in an advertising firm, right? So what is the point of having that line in there except to say like "oh, we're so witty." But when I saw it (the three times I saw it), the line just sort of landed weird and nobody really laughed, it got a chuckle.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#82re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 1:02am

It's an interesting question why people find certain things funny. Why do we laugh at potty humor and fart jokes? Why are prop comics or insult comics funny to some people? I'm sure there is a reason that maybe someone else can explain. I don't pretend to understand the psychology behind it.

My guess is that there is something ironically humorous when the audience has hindsight about something that the character is yet to experience. It's the same reason people laugh at the "24/7 joke" and the "casual Friday" joke. Kind corny and cheap? Perhaps. I found them harmlessly fun and in the spirit of the movie's humor. I could see why it would bother you if you thought it took away from the more clever jokes, or if you think it didn't translate as well on state, but you can't blame them for keeping it in if it got good reactions.

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#83re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 1:08am

I'm just gonna point out that the "just do it" joke was changed. now it is "Just do it... that's catchy" I've seen the show with both versions of the joke and without a doubt the bigger laugh comes from "that's catchy"

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#84re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 10:06am

They both are pretty much going after the same crowd - the tourists.

Which is a smart move if they want to stay open.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

JazzSquare55
#85re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 10:20am

The difference is that the TRASHY tourists will see "Rock Of Ages".... classy tourists see "9 To 5"

MisterMatt ~ Shove that in your pipe and suck it, turd.

XoXoXo

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Mister Matt
#87re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 10:29am

Well, that would make TooDarnHot/TheCharleston/JazzSquare55 a trashy tourist, I guess. Not only has he seen the show, he said himself he enjoyed it and is a fan. My question is, why does he enjoy getting banned? Is it some sort of esoteric badge of honor or just a cheap thrill?

LadyDramaturg2
#88re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 2:23pm

geez, 90016 slammed me against the wall for saying things as mean as, "you don't have your facts right."

MisterMatt ~ Shove that in your pipe and suck it, turd.

That sounds like untreated, you know, mental illness or something.

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#89re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 6:38pm

The difference is that the TRASHY tourists will see "Rock Of Ages".... classy tourists see "9 To 5"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I've seen the windbreaker and jeans crowd leaving 9 to 5 too, buddy.

Actually I've seen those people come out of West Side Story... and Next To Normal. Tourists are tourists... and the days of white gloves and furs to see "Hello Dolly" are long gone. Plus, who gives a crap if the audiences are "classy" or not. That is such elitist bullsh**t... and it's just stupid.

However, even if your logic is true about ROA, then you should LOVE that the show exists if for no reason than to keep your other more "refined" shows clear of any riff raff that may dare to sully your theater experience.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#90re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 6:43pm

Most enjoyable thread of the week.

....but the world goes 'round

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#91re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/8/09 at 8:32pm

"I'm just gonna point out that the "just do it" joke was changed. now it is "Just do it... that's catchy" I've seen the show with both versions of the joke and without a doubt the bigger laugh comes from "that's catchy"

The joke is still cheesy and tacky as all get-out.

And thanks Tazber. I accept your award!

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#92re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 10:23am

The annual publicity boost of the Tony noms helped prompt a rise in Broadway box office last week -- but the tuner to post the largest gain of the frame was "9 to 5" ($762,358 ), the show notably shut out of the race for Tony's top musical prize. Sales climbed almost $100,000, which put the production in the top 10 for the first time.

Meanwhile, the new musical that pulled off an unexpectedly strong haul of Tony noms -- "Rock of Ages" ($378,178 ) -- actually saw receipts dip slightly.

Although such fluctuations are notable, it's too soon to read too much into them since the full effects of the noms (and of the awards in June) will be seen more fully in the coming weeks.

Variety Article

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#93re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 11:04am

I don't have time right now to read the entire thread, but where was it written that ROA was trying for credibility?

And what good is credibility if it isn't selling tickets?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

WickedPirate2 Profile Photo
WickedPirate2
#94re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 11:09am

LOL - Thanks for posting, Popular! Quite interesting..

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#95re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 11:15am

" Plus, who gives a crap if the audiences are "classy" or not. That is such elitist bullsh**t... and it's just stupid"

Could not agree more

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#96re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 12:26pm

i think we can all agree that the shows that run for a really long time no matter how unique, creative or amazing become so called "tourist shows" that's just what happens, I'd be curious to poll some broadway audiences and see how many were "tourists"

when people say tourist are you just counting people from way out of town? what about people from Jersey or Long Island????? If a show is only really "good" when just New Yorkers are seeing it then it's not playing on Broadway.

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead
Updated On: 5/12/09 at 12:26 PM

skot
#97re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 6/5/09 at 10:52am

I believe the committee nominated ROA to show how hip and cool they are, and -- let's face it -- to expand the audience who watches the Awards Ceremony.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#98re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 6/5/09 at 11:35am

Right, right. Just to show how hip they are, so they nominated a show about the 80s? Right.

Mister Matt
#99re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Any More Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 6/5/09 at 2:53pm

I believe the committee nominated ROA to show how hip and cool they are, and -- let's face it -- to expand the audience who watches the Awards Ceremony.

How would it expand the audience? It's not like Rock of Ages has been a feature in the marketing of the broadcast unless there was some sort of email blast to online fan clubs of famous 80s hair bands. A more likely scenario is that the general opinion of the show from the Tony committee was similar to those of the critics. I seriously doubt anyone views the committee as "hip" or "cool" based solely on the Best Musical nomination of Rock of Ages. Or if they do, they would be members of a negligible minority.

Videos