News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Why Does "9 to 5" Have More Credibility Than "Rock of Ages"? - Page 3

Why Does "9 to 5" Have More Credibility Than "Rock of Ages"?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#50re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 9:52am

PS - I concur. The use of "anymore" in the thread title is incorrect.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

AndAllThatJazz22
#51re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 9:54am

Sorry, I love this thread. The OP asks a question, we give him the answer, and then he tells us why were wrong and then still asks himself the same question.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#52re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 9:59am

"9-5 lets people take drinks back to their seats as well.
sooooooo"

Well, 9-5 doesn't have people delivering drinks to your seats and having people pass down drinks or climbing over others.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#53re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:01am

It should, though. It really should.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#54re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:04am

I think you've got to have some (ok, many) drinks and kill some brain cells to find any humor in 9 to 5. Stone cold sober, that show just plods along, lumbering its way to the anxiously awaited opening of the exit doors.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#55re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:11am

OK i only watched 9 to 5 out of town and have not seen Rock Of Ages

It strikes me the reviews for Rock Of Ages were more "wow this jukebox campy musical turned out to be fun" rather than "its a great musical"

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Mister Matt
#56re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:21am

Well, 9-5 doesn't have people delivering drinks to your seats and having people pass down drinks or climbing over others.

Well, 9 to 5 isn't staged as an 80s rock concert. Know what else 9 to 5 doesn't have? It doesn't have giant rolls of toilet paper strewn all over the audience, it doesn't have any ABBA songs, it doesn't have the cast beating on dishes in sinks strapped to their bodies, it doesn't have a falling chandelier, it doesn't have a lot of things very successful shows have had.

provocation Profile Photo
provocation
#57re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 7:15pm

9 to 5's out-of-town run was amazing and the cast had the theatre in tears (of laughter) by the end of the night. I haven't seen it in NY but I don't know how they could have messed it up. It didn't seem possible.

I know, right?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#58re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 7:58pm

I'm sorry Jazz, but "OMG IT'S AMAZING" isn't really what I constitute as an answer to my question.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm really not, I'm just curious why people were up in arms about Rock of Ages getting nominated when it got the better reviews? I mean neither show is high art, so what's the big deal? Shouldn't we be more surprised by Shrek being nominated? I thought Shrek was all kinds of awful, but I'm not going to bitch about it.

And my whole stance on the issue is just to argue to argue. I'm taking the other side just to continue the argument. That's pretty much it.

I am surprised to learn that 9 to 5 is in risk of closing. It's been selling out since it opened, so I assumed it was financially stable.

(And I don't get all the Billy hate either. Smaxie, I agree with you 100%.)

provocation, I'm not sure how much the story changed, but if you have tears in your eyes at the end of night it's probably allergies, not the show.

Barney Stinson
#59re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 11:33pm

Slow clap for MisterMatt's earlier post. Good stuff.

And it's really sad to see people say things like, "I refuse to see 9-5" or "The only way I'd see ROA is if . . ."

If you haven't seen a show, and esp if you refuse to see a show, you have zero credibilty when discussing its merits and flaws. Probably best to just STFU about it.

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#60re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 11:59pm

Here here. Half the people that talk **** about ROA haven't seen it.

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#61re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 12:12am

I have not seen ROA so I won't comment on it but I have seen 9 to 5 several times and it's phenomenal. It's a big production gorgeous broadway musical. I personally love a big musical with fantasy scenes and glitter. love it. LOVE IT. also the performances in 9 to 5 are incredible. Stephanie J. Block is a legend in the making, not to mention Megan Hilty! And the music is so amazing, especially considering its Dolly's first broadway show. I loved each song and thought Dolly did an amazing job getting inside each characters head and writing for them.

I don't understand why people have a problem with big shows? And why is there something discrediting about a so called "tourist show: Shows that are now considered "tourist shows" were once called brilliant, and then they became popular and nobody likes them???????? I'll never understand people's obsession with being the first to like something and then not liking it because other people like it. If it's so freakin' good that you love it why can't everyone love it with you? We should all be glad that tourists come to New York and see shows.

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#62re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 12:43am

I have no problem with a "tourist show." I LOOOOVED Billy Elliot. I like Wicked - I've seen it twice. And I enjoyed myself a few times at Mamma Mia with friends. But this show isn't those shows. Sorry.

The score is amazing? Really? You're going to use the word "amazing" to describe the song "Here For You" or "5 to 9?" Amazing? Alright...........

And Popular. I meant to say this earlier. I know you're a girl, but my "boner" reference is just a saying. It means you're getting excited about it. I don't mean to offend. I'm not saying you're opinion isn't important in other matters, but your opinion is clouded by Stephanie J. Block. You've been her biggest/loudest fan on this board for quite sometime, so I would expect you to like 9 to 5. It's as simple as that.

JazzSquare55
#63re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 12:51am

"Popular, sorry, but your opinion counts for nothing on this matter"

... And yours does?

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#64re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 2:03am

Ripped - I can tell you are attempting to have a somewhat civil conversation with me, so I'll entertain your last post.

I don't mean to offend. I'm not saying you're opinion isn't important in other matters, but your opinion is clouded by Stephanie J. Block.

I can understand why you might think that being that most of the threads I post in are about either her or the shows/events she's involved with, but trust me when I say you don't know me well enough to make such a statement. If I followed your logic, I'd have to say that when posting about me, it is YOUR opinions that aren't important. In fact, and I don't mean to offend either, they are pretty much full of hot air assumptions.

You've been her biggest/loudest fan on this board for quite sometime, so I would expect you to like 9 to 5. It's as simple as that.

Like I said before, just because I choose to stay positive on this board does not mean my judgment is clouded or biased. Did you know that as cute as I thought "Out of Control" was, I didn't think it worked and knew it would be cut? Did you know I was in agreement about hoping Marc would have a better song than "Mundania", or that I thought the hospital scene in L.A. needed fixing? Did you know that as much as I've loved the shows Steph's been in, RAGTIME still remains my favorite despite the fact that *gasp* she was never in it? Probably not.

So I ask again to please not generalize me or form assumptions about me just because I've been labeled some sort of superfan or something. I love to support and I love to read the support. It's that simple. Steph is definitely my musical theater hero but I do recognize that the girl is human for goodness sake!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#65re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 3:20am

I have only seen the video clips of both shows. I had a slight interest in seeing both. After viewing the video clips, I really have no desire to see either. But if I was to see one, it would be 9 to 5. Can't put my finger on it, but 9 to 5 just doesn't look like what I expected. Maybe I just need to see it. As far as Rock of Ages, for one, I really don't care to see Jukebox musicals. But with this one, the cast sounds like a bunch of people in a bar singing along with the jukebox. Maybe that's what they were going for. But he clips I saw didn't make me want to spend money to see it. And I noticed on the Rock of Ages website, they basically use the original versions of the songs to listen to, not the versions from the show. Just my opinion.

Just give the world Love.

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#66re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 9:26am

I haven't seen Rock of Ages or 9 to 5 yet (Boston gal, have to budget for my trips to NYC). I'm sure both have their merits and certainly both have their admirers. Therefore, I reserve my opinion until I do, and certainly wish both well in today's economy.

But, either way, I can't see using the fact that serving alcohol in the seats makes one show have more credibility. A cash cow, perhaps, for the theater house, but for me it has no bearing on whether or not the initial product is good or "worthy" of a Tony nod.

broadwayrocks2
#67re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 9:55am

Sound a little bitter ripped man ! You seem to be a little emotional about its acceptance ! They took some songs and made a show !! They serve drinks at the seats so they encourage you to get drunk !! ALl thats missing is a stripper pole ANd a back room !! Sorry not a legit musical !SHouldnt be in the best musical category should be special attraction !! "One of these things dont belong" ??

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#68re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 10:13am

"I'm just not going to say anything. ROA fans are brainwashed"

I thought you weren't go to say anything.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Mister Matt
#69re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 11:28am

Sorry not a legit musical !

Sorry, but it is. Your personal taste does not determine its legitimacy nor does beverage service. A show that would not be a legitimate musical would be Contact as it had no live music and none of the characters sang. Book shows, pop/rock operas, jukebox musicals, catalog musicals and revues are legit forms of musicals.

JazzSquare55
#70re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 11:46am

"Your personal taste does not determine its legitimacy"

And yours does?

Mister Matt
#71re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 12:11pm

Nope. I didn't even infer as much.

VocalLizzy Profile Photo
VocalLizzy
#72re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 2:56pm

Just a little observation...Broadwayrocks2 said "ROA sounds better if you're ripped"

Then how did ROA get a Tony nomination for Sound Design but 9 to 5 didn't?

I will assume that Nominating Committee Members went to the show sober...so there goes your argument on that point.

Sorry.
The Cry of the Strip - The Semi-Official Fan Site for "Rock of Ages" the TONY NOMINATED Musical!!

Mister Matt
#73re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 7:17pm

Didn't you hear? The servers literally yanked the Tony voters by the jaw and forced gallons of whiskey down their throats. They don't simply encourage drinking alcohol, they will not let anyone exit the theatre until they have failed a breathalizer test and spit on photos of Dolly Parton.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#74re: Why Does '9 TO 5' Have Anymore Credibility Than 'Rock of Ages'?
Posted: 5/7/09 at 8:52pm

If all you get from reading this thread is thinking that we all think Rock of Ages is a better show because they serve drinks to your seat, then obviously you're not reading the actual thread.

And Popular, I still stand by my point that I would expect you to like 9 to 5 more than Rock of Ages because of your undying love Mrs. Block. That doesn't mean you can't see the faults in the show, but I would expect you to defend it. That's it. Nothing more.

Videos