News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)- Page 2

Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#25re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/2/06 at 7:53pm

At the beginning, the cast is just standing in position, "frozen". When the scrim comes up, they start with the "Good news...."

The broom flies in from the stage left wings. It's actually floating though (not like in New York, where as I said it looks like a guy is holding it up).

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#26re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/2/06 at 8:11pm

A guy is holding it up, he's on the lower staircase and you can tell because his hand shakes and so does the broom.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#27re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/2/06 at 11:16pm

"Wicked_chitown, I didn't think she hit any of her notes with ease. That sound was not pleasant, at least not singing this score. She may have a lovely voice, but it's not meant for this show, or this score"

I don't understand why you're so unwilling to concede you just had a bad performance. Early in the Chicago run she had aboslutely no trouble hitting the notes... and that's not my opinion... it's the honest truth. Her acting has never been fantastic... but the same criticism could be said about many of the Elphies... so I can understand your complaint there. But... your insistence to say that she can't sing the score is bizarre as she has been the go to understudy since way back... so... it's not just people on BWW.com that think she's capable but apparently so does the creative team.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#28re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/2/06 at 11:42pm

"Every other Elphaba I've seen (even those I've disliked) have had voices that were at times thrilling. Not the case with Miss Cates. I was consistently underwhelmed by her voice."

Haven't seen Kristy, but these are exact words of my sister (who's seen many other Elphabas, also).

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#29re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/3/06 at 9:27am

"A guy is holding it up, he's on the lower staircase and you can tell because his hand shakes and so does the broom."

That's interesting. Wow. I find that amazing, given all the other extravagancies associated with that show. They couldn't splurge to make that effect look better?

icantbelive
#30re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/3/06 at 9:56am

I completly agree with your review. I didnt notice that there was no hat though. However the dragon does move. But it doesnt blow smoke and its eyes arent red.

#31re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/3/06 at 11:11am

There must have been a Dragon Malfunction as the Chicago Dragon is fully moblie, with red eyes and smoking nostrils.

So glad we got that resolved. I hate to have our midwestern dragosn slandered.

wishinguweresomehow Profile Photo
wishinguweresomehow
#32re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/3/06 at 11:30am

I was shocked that you found anything positive to say about this show after so many dislikes. Perhaps you just hit an off night, because every time I've been to the Chicago production it has been a fantastic performance...even with Ana and Kate gone. I will admit that George is a little dry, but besides that it's typically an excellent experience.

"Not everyone can come and go by bubble"

anthony41090
#33re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/3/06 at 11:45am

hey does anyone know who is taking over for Telly as boq now that Telly is gone?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#34re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/3/06 at 12:09pm

They eyes were definitely red on Saturday night. He did not move, however. There must have been a malfunction.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#35re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/3/06 at 12:20pm

So there IS a hat in NYC? How do I not remember that? Strange... Oh well. Seems cheesy anyway... re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)

bway_baby Profile Photo
bway_baby
#36re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/9/06 at 2:57pm

I used to work there. The dragon most definitely moves - just depends on how much energy the stagehand that moves it puts into it every show.

Yep, that's all I have to say about that!

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#37re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/9/06 at 3:56pm

Adam Fleming is replacing Telly. Has anyone seen him in the role yet?

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Jyn326
#38re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 7/9/06 at 4:15pm

When I saw the show in March we had 3 understudies. Dee Roscioli for Elphaba, Ryan Weiss for Boq, and I forgot who was Glinda. But they were all really good.

The dragon was fully functional- red eyes, smoke, and movement.

From my seats (further back) the flying broom was pretty cool.

For those who've seen Dee as Elphie, what'd you think? I haven't heard anyone else say much about her. I thought she did really well (granted, this is the only production of Wicked I've seen).

MeganKathleen2
#39re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 8/8/06 at 11:45am

To clear up all Dragon confusion. The Dragon in Chicago does indeed move. But currently it is broken. They are working on getting a new one because, from what I've heard, this one is beyond repair.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#40re: Wicked in Chicago last night (7/1)
Posted: 8/8/06 at 12:45pm

I agree with the poster about Kristy. I'm not a fan of her. She has a very weird tone to her voice, and while she hits the notes correctly, it sounds strange and *bad* to me

Videos