News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)- Page 12

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#275re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 3:17pm

I always thought my dad was the same way, but then I took him to a show once and he loved it. I think you have enough stuff happening before and after the shows that he's bound to find something he loves about New York regardless. Or, if nothing else, you've given him time to have a couple of naps during the day. re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D

Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#276re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 3:21pm

Yeah, don't you love those $120 naps?

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#277re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 3:28pm

Absolutely! Best nap you'll ever have, I can tell ya that much.

Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight

americanboy99
#278re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 3:30pm

I've only fallen alseep once in a musical... MY FAIR LADY at a local theatre.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#279re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 3:35pm

What shows are you seeing?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#280re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 3:36pm

I never have. Wanted to once (oh boy, Lestat was about two hours too long...), but didn't succeed. re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D

I love My Fair Lady!

americanboy99
#281re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 3:42pm

Legally Blonde, Mary Poppins, and Grey Gardens.

americanboy99
#282re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 6:48pm

I am a celebrity today. So, I can bump this thread.

Kristeliz Profile Photo
Kristeliz
#283re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 8:28pm

I live here and I am very jealous of your 3 shows in 2 days-- but I think you will also be in town for Bway in Bryant Park on the Thursday. None of the shows you are seeing will be performing, so you'll get a good sampling if you do an early lunch in Little Italy and hit this before the NBC tour. Free Bway is something to take advantage of.

The Fantasticks | Spring Awakening | The Color Purple | Wicked
12:30pm–1:30pm | The Lawn

Also, Bryant Park is super close to times square and is a fun place to relax for lunch with the locals.. there are chairs all over the lawn and you can buy sandwiches at Witchcraft(or a hot dog on the street) and chill. There is also nothing like a cone from Mister Softee for lunch on a hot August day. Also cosi, a jamba juice and chipotle are across the street from the park on 6th. The lines can be long but the prices are decent.

Good luck and stay hydrated. The heat has arrived in NYC.

americanboy99
#284re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 8:46pm

Oh, really. How close is that to Rockefeller Center?

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#285re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 8:58pm

Google Maps is your friend...you can see both Bryant Park and Rock Ctr on this map here, the green arrow is in the middle of those two points:
map

americanboy99
#286re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 8:59pm

Not too far away. We may not be able to make it though.

Kristeliz Profile Photo
Kristeliz
#287re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 9:05pm

Bryant Park is at 42nd and 6th, Rock Center is at 50th and 6th.. 8 blocks going uptown.

You can also hop the train right there:
Take the V train from 42 Street - Bryant Park station heading Uptown, Get off at 47-50 Streets-Rockefeller Ctr

Also-- Bryant Park has some of the cleanest public bathrooms in the city just in case--The Bryant Park bathroom was awarded the title of "best in America" by Citysearch users in 2002.

http://www.bryantpark.org/park-management/press/040406-nyt.php

oh and free wireless!

americanboy99
#288re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/19/07 at 10:26pm

I just think we are doing SO much Thursday morning that we are going to be having a late lunch rather than early.

americanboy99
#289re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/21/07 at 6:14pm

I really wish we could go see the Broadway in the Park performances, but I just don't think it is possible.

We probably won't be getting to SoHo until 9:30 at the earliest. We still would like to eat our breakfast, walk around SoHo, visit NYU, and have lunch at the pizza place in Little Italy. That just doesn't seem possible to be able to get to Bryant Park by 1:30.

Oh, yes. I am calling tomorrow to make my reservations for the NBC studio tour. I am thinking of making them for 3:30.

What about Madame Toussaud's? Are reservations needed if we want to get there at opening (10 am)?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#290re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/21/07 at 10:23pm

Is there a specific reason you're insisting on SoHo and seeing that segment of NYU? Just wondering since that's not on a lot of itineraries other than go past it on an open-top bus.

As for the other questions, I don't know. Those ren't on my radar either. LOL.

Though I've got to say you've got me driving my dad nuts sending him links to restaurants for dinner the Sunday night they're up here. I figure it's MY birthday dinner so I should be able to pick, but he doesn't seem to think I should have exclusive decision making there. re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

americanboy99
#291re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/26/07 at 5:07pm

Well, we'll be in SoHo and NYU just seemed like a natural stop.
(probably just a gift shop/ book store splurge)

I made the reservations for Tavern on the Green at 8 pm on Tuesday.

We are also planning on stopping by the M&M store (my mom...) while in Times Square.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#292re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/26/07 at 9:15pm

I've finally convinced my dad to just chill about Sunday afternoon when they're here. We decided on Pastis for breakfast rather than brunch because a) it's cheaper than brunch for the same things, b) we can go as early as 9am and have the rest of the day, and c) we don't have to deal with all the brunch crowds.

Our afternoon will be free to do whatever ~ probably the Met (museum, not opera).

Dinner is Piccolo Angolo and reservations are made. Daddy had suggested Tavern, but it's SO touristy I nixed that. Piccolo Angolo is a compromise ~ I wanted somewhere else that's in the price range, but Daddy likes Italian food better. After deciding it's juvenile to at 35 pull a "Whose birthday dinner IS it anyway?!?!?" I figured this was the better option. It's supposed to be fantastic. :)

My philosophy is if it doesn't require ressies or tickets (as in a show that might be sold out, not a museum or tour which almost never is), just go with the flow and see where you end up. Makes life and travel more fun IMHO.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 6/26/07 at 09:15 PM

americanboy99
#293re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/27/07 at 5:31pm

Well, my dad loves Tavern on the Green. (He's a stock broker.. so New York was once his stomping ground) So, it was his suggestion...

americanboy99
#294re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/30/07 at 12:22am

Well, Thursday night will be changing drastically.

Now, what should I see in place of GREY GARDENS?

Oh, God. Those words cut me so deeply.

bunger12
#295re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/30/07 at 1:11am

Okay, this whole thread is killing me and making me very uptight & exhausted.

RELAX. These are not "last-minute" changes you're making. It's still June!

Go to a bookstore & hit the travel section. There are tons of books on NYC. Get a STREETWISENYC map - I'm sure every Barnes & Noble has one. Then you can see just how far one thing is from another.

Why bother with the Wax Museum? I pass by it every day and see the tourists line up, and I just don't get it. The Wax Museum is not New York City.

So much of the NYC experience is what you happen upon by chance -- can you leave any room at all for happy accidents? What if you stumble upon a different place for breakfast than the MoonRock Diner that's so set in stone?

And now I'm about to say something, but don't panic....

NYU isn't in Soho. But it's only about 6-8 walkable blocks north.

Please try and give yourself time to have fun. I really do mean well.

americanboy99
#296re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/30/07 at 1:26am

NYU is in walkable distance from SoHo.

So, what show?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#297re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/30/07 at 1:28am

My rec would be The Year of Magical Thinking, which is a play, but wonderful. No musicals really stand out for me right now, sadly.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

americanboy99
#298re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/30/07 at 1:32am

A play probably won't work for my parents.

I am thinking either CURTAINS, THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, or A CHORUS LINE.

I don't know though. Something tells me A CHORUS LINE.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#299re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/30/07 at 1:35am

I'm SOOO glad my parents are open minded. LOL. They like cultural stuff in general (and the fact that it's VANESSA REDGRAVE on stage didn't hurt my case). Makes my life SOOO much easier when they visit.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 6/30/07 at 01:35 AM

Videos