News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

WishingOnlyWounds2
#50re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:32am

What's the quickest way to get to the stage door? Is it just to take the main elevator down then walk out or is there a way from the actual theatre?

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#51re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:34am

rOcKs, I loved the new blue sequin dress. At SD I asked her about it, and she said it is her fav costume she's ever worn. I can totally see why :)

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#52re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:34am

I had the BEST time! I thought it was so much fun and all three leading ladies were incredible.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#53re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:38am

"How freaking HOT did Stephanie look in that "Dance of Death" dress?!"

The woman is a vision to behold...just outstanding. She is absolutely by far one of my favorite Broadway performers. I'm so glad she is in a hit.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#54re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:42am

After tonight, I agree with everything you just said, WAT.

This is going to be a really interesting year at the Tonys. It started off predictable and boring, but with the emergence of 9 TO 5 and NEXT TO NORMAL, the musical races are very tough to call at this point.

To be perfectly honest, I'm more than ok with either N2N, 9 TO 5, or BILLY winning Best Musical.

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#55re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:43am

For SD, take the house right elevator (closest to 45th st) turn left, head onto 45th then walk up to B'way).
Spoke to Dolly's agent and he clandestinely said that Dolly will never be coming out of SD. She left in a car from the drive in area of the hotel about 15 minutes after curtain. However, William Ivey Long, Scott Pask and Patricia Resnick did come out stage door and I (along with a few other avid fans who probably didn't know who they were) got them sign our windowcards/playbills.

Another minor glitch during the show was that the cabinet that Violet makes Hart's poison coffee on didn't track off when the rest of the set left. Two crew rushed on and pulled it off. The plastic cover of the garage door light fell from the flies during Shine Like The Sun, made a big thud as it landed on the deck,, startled the girls but they kept going. If they'd been a foot further upstage it would've landed on Megan who would've probably been knocked out.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#56re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:44am

Can anyone who sat in the rush seats report as to how the view was?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#57re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:46am

Is there a rush? I'm so confused with the rush policy...

PS: Can't freaking wait for the Cast Recording. I have a feeling it's gonna be a great one.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#58re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:46am

WiCkEDrOcKS, yes. It seems to be a General Rush.

Two and a half hours before curtain, they'll sell partial view seats in the extreme sides of the Orchestra for $36.50.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 4/8/09 at 12:46 AM

WithoutATrace
#59re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:50am

Thanks, wickedrocks! It was just such a joy to be a part of the audience tonight. Such an outpouring of love. I had such a great time at the show tonight!!!! I wish I were free to go back again tomorrow.

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#60re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:57am

If I paid attention enough, these are the songs that were in the LA program that no longer exist in the show, or are at least not listed:

ACT I
"Out of Control"
"Tattletales"
"9 to 5 reprise"
"The One I Love"
"I killed the Boss"

ACT II
"Around Here reprise"
"Mundania"
"Willin/Well-Oiled Machine"
"Mundania reprise"

Your fupa is showing.

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#61re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:58am

Aww.. I wish I could see this show again! I saw it in L.A. and it was so much fun :) What a great cast!

WiCkEDrOcKS
#62re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:02am

So then basically, "Out of Control" is totally gone...the scene opens with Block and the copier spitting out paper. It then leads into "I Just Might" which starts with Block getting the copy machine working and ends with basically the same staging as the staging "The One I Love" had.

"I Killed the Boss" is replaced with dialogue.

"Mundania" is replaced with "Always a Woman."

"Well-Oiled Machine" is replaced with "Change It."

The entire "Tattletales" scene is gone.

No reprise of "Always a Woman" to take the place of the "Mundania" reprise.

No reprises of "9 to 5" (besides the finale) or "Around Here."
Updated On: 4/8/09 at 01:02 AM

it'sjustshowbiz Profile Photo
it'sjustshowbiz
#63re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:05am

I'm disappointed that "9 to 5 Reprise" and "Out of Control" were cut. I really enjoyed those songs. Is there still some sort of copy machine scene?

I also liked "The One I Love", especially Violet's segment about how her son reminds her of her husband that passed on.

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#64re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:07am

Bundles:
"Out of Control" is gone. The scene now begins with Judy panicking around the xerox machine. Hart enters and reprimands her as in LA, she then launches into the opening of "I Just Might" which replaces "The One I Love".
The whole cafeteria Tattletale scene/song is gone.
"I Killed The Boss" is gone, replaced by a scene that is underscored very cleverly with bits of the now unused song.
"Mundamia" has become a just as useless song called "Always A Woman".
"Well Oiled Machine" which I personally liked in LA is now "Change It", which is just as great.

That's pretty much all the big changes to the show I think.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#65re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:08am

The scene starts with Block and the broken machine spitting out paper. Hart walks in and yells at her. Janney defends her and tells her to not show emotion and to stay strong. Block starts singing "I Just Might" and the copier starts to work...the scene then changes to basically the same staging as "The One I Love."

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#66re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:10am

I just got back and I couldn't stop singing "Get Out and Stay Out" on the subway ride home. Overall all I had a great time and enjoyed the performances from the three women a lot. Hilty, Janney and Block all get their moments to shine and boy do they ever. They can all rest easy tonight that this will be a hit.

I agree that Marc's "Always a Woman" number is a bit weak, but nothing too awful that it derails the show.

I'm sure I'll have energy to write more tomorrow, but despite the flaws that exist I smiled throughout and walked out a happy man.

btw, My favorite line of the evening was when Stephanie sang the lyric "No good deed goes unpunished..." and the audience went crazy. I thought it was a nice little inside joke for the audience.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

WithoutATrace
#67re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:10am

I still can't get over how outstanding those performances were tonight. Wow.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#68re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:12am

I already have tickets to go back two more times in previews, but I feel like I need to buy more tickets now before the reviews come out and all the discount codes are revoked.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#69re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:14am

Anybody else not able to sleep with complete astonishment and joy?

I'm going back on Sunday, and probably rushing next week as well :)

WiCkEDrOcKS
#70re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:15am

I'm going next week but will probably buy a ticket with the discount for after it opens in the next week or so as well.

I just can't wipe the grin off my face!

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#71re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:15am

I assumed "Mundania" would be gone, and I am very glad it is, though the "Days of our Lives" section was funny.

Your fupa is showing.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#72re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:16am

The 'Days of our Lives' section is still intact.

WithoutATrace
#73re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:18am

The Days of Our Lives section was hilarious!!

"like sands through the hourglass..."
Updated On: 4/8/09 at 01:18 AM

bwayguy22089
#74re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:25am

I can't believe they cut "The One I Love"! That was such a beautiful song...

Videos