News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#100re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:40am

Ok. Directions from the box office (very visibile from Broadway):
1. When looking at the box office from Broadway, take the underpass to the right of the box office.
2. Walk all the way along the underpass, over the driveway and through the right set of revolving doors. Walk in a straight line to the opposite side of the initial foyer.
3. Turn around and there is an escalator straight ahead of you that goes directly up to the third level. Take this and you will be in the first foyer of the theatre.
4. From there, just go through the glass doors and straight ahead for the orchestra, or through the glass doors and take the spiral staircase to your left for the mezz.
Updated On: 4/8/09 at 10:40 AM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#101re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:43am

BroadwayBoy2, please don't compare this to XANADU. 9 TO 5 has a much better book, score and infinitely better performers and performances.

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#102re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:52am

I'm not compairing i'm simply saying that this is the musical that everyone who has seen it so far has thoroughly enjoyed, much like Xanadu. I'm not saying they are in the same caliber of musical theatre. It's like saying August was a heafty majority favorite last season, much like Irena's Vow is this season, am I saying there the same genge, quality, no.

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

WithoutATrace
#103re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:57am

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

bardolator
#104re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:59am

I think Missy is Mrs. Hart.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#105re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:05am

Withoutatrace, thanks so much for your review! Sounds like it was a great night. I'm sorry that I missed you when I called you last night.

One of the many wonderful things about Withoutatrace, is that when he goes to the theatre and sees/reviews shows for this board, he's completely objective, he wants to enjoy himself, and walks in with a clean slate. In other words, he has no hidden agenda, no tricks up his sleeve.

Many people on this board, are so negative and when they walk into a Broadway theatre, they have all ready made up their mind that they are going to hate it - for whatever reason. And, that's just wrong.........anyway you slice it.

Withoutatrace, has always, always been fair, objective and mature when it comes to his love of theatre.

Looking forward to seeing you at the end of the month!

WithoutATrace
#106re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:08am

Awwwwwww, nealb1! Thank you so much. I truly did go into this show blind...I've never even seen the movie! (or heard of it before this show arrived on the scene) But wow, was it a crowd-pleaser! I honestly wish I were going again tonight...

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#107re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:12am

You are very welcome, absolutely. I just PM'd you.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#108re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:50am

After sleeping on it, my thoughts are pretty much the same.

It has problems structurally, but it left me floating on cloud nine. It's tons and tons of fun, will (as I said since it premiered in California) but a huge hit, features a fantastic cast, and some great musical moments.

I just had a total ball...can't wait to go back in a week and hopefully again after it opens. It's definitely the most fun new show I've seen in quite some time.

WithoutATrace
#109re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:53am

"It's definitely the most fun new show I've seen in quite some time."

You are so right about this, wickedrocks, and I'm sure the entire audience from last night would agree with you. It is such a blast!

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#110re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:54am

Totally agree rOcKS. Last night was a performance I will keep in my memory forever. A truly incredbile evening at the theatre :)

Pink
#111re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:43pm

This raises the question to the people who were there, what are your thoughts on Tony placement?

WiCkEDrOcKS
#112re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:04pm

All three women are on stage the same amount of time, have an equal amount of heavy-lifting to do, and should all be nominated for Lead Actress. But the producers won't want them to cancel one another out, so I'm sure Janney will be campaigned for Lead and Hilty and Block for Featured.

It's not right (to me, it's as if Menzel was nominated for Lead and Chenoweth for Featured in WICKED) but it'll probably be what happens.

Ironically, if they campaigned all three for lead, they would probably have a shot at snagging another nomination...for Kathy Fitzgerald. But with both Block and Hilty most likely being campaigned for Featured, Fitzgerald will probably get knocked out of the competition.

Kudisch will, and rightfully so, be campaigned for Featured.

As much as I loved Janney, there is no doubt in my mind that Ripley is the rightful winner of the Best Actress Tony this year. There's just no competition between the two of them and I hope the committee awards Ripley for delivering such a nuanced, layered, emotionally draining performance instead of Janney who is tons of fun and works her ass off but is still not on Ripley's level.

Then again, I (and most others) thought the same thing about Hyde Pierce and Esparza and look who won....

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#113re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:10pm

So Wicked Rocks, the real question is Block or Olivo for the Tony?
Updated On: 4/8/09 at 02:10 PM

PiraguaGuy2
#114re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:13pm

Or Gwynne.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#115re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:14pm

yeah I was just wondering about those two specifically

WiCkEDrOcKS
#116re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

That's a tough call.

The comittee will want to award WSS in some way (it won't win Revival) so Olivo could very well win.

But if Janney loses Lead, they may want to give recognition to the excellent cast of 9 TO 5 and award Block...or even Hilty.

It's definitely between Hilty, Block, and Olivo. If I had to call it right now, I'd predict Olivo will win. But let's see what happens...

Trish2
#117re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

Hasn't Olivo been forgotten yet? There are several other performances this season that outshine hers.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#118re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:16pm

Then again, I (and most others) thought the same thing about Hyde Pierce and Esparza and look who won....

And the Hairspray leads beat the leads of Nine and Gypsy... Tony history shows that the comic performance often trumps the dramatic... I think some people can't get "Musical Comedy" out of their minds...

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#119re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:19pm

I'm not sure about Gwynne...she's very good but I don't think she'll win.

EveHarrington Profile Photo
EveHarrington
#120re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:31pm

I guess I'm completely alone in thinking Hilty outshone Block by a clear mile? Block has the best song in the score, it would be hard to not have a "moment" with "Get Out and Stay Out", but I thought Megan was absolutely delightful.

PiraguaGuy2
#121re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:33pm

I think we can safely say the Featured Actress nominees will be (and I'm sorry for turning this into a Tony prediction thread):

Haydn Gwynne
PRO:Good, flashy performance in a show that will most likely take Musical
CON: Can she go the distance? Did we love her THAT much?

Martha Plimpton
PRO: Great performance by a beloved, overdue actress
CON: Her show got ripped to shreds

Karen Olivo
PRO: A shining star in what many feel is a lackluster revival. Concerns about the show itself won't be a problem
CON: ...but will concerns about her dancing?

Stephanie J. Block
PRO: Brings down the house nightly in a show that is already pleasing crowds like crazy and is a favorite in many other characters. Has the biggest character transformation of all the characters.
CON: Allison Janney. Will voters want to go for two ladies? Also, her acting could use a little work. One of her big songs got cut. Vote splitting with Hilty?

Megan Hilty
PRO: Makes you forget about Dolly Parton nightly in a show that is already pleasing crowds like crazy and is a favorite in many other categories.
CON: Allison Janney. Will voters want to go for two ladies? She's saddled with one of the worst songs in the show and her other lackluster song was cut. Vote splitting with Block?

At this point, I'd go with Block or Olivo.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Yankeefan007
#122re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:40pm

My money is still on Martha Plimpton, Tony favorite, long overdue for an award in a performance that proves her versatility as not only a wonderful dramatic actress but as a bonafide musical theater star.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#123re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:40pm

But they rarely award someone from a show that has closed.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#124re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:41pm

I think Block and Hilty's "PROs" could just as easily be Janney as well.

The voters may, as I said, want to reward the cast but also recognize Ripley who is delivering a performance that is leagues better than Janney's and therefore may give Ripley Lead Actress and either Hilty or Block Featured.

Plus the fact that Ripley is undeniably giving a LEAD performance won't hurt. Now that I think about it, Hyde Pierce and Esparza at least both gave the obvious male lead performances in their respective shows. Ripley is clearly the lead female of N2N but Janney isn't. She shares the stage with her two costars basically equally. So that could hurt Janney and help Ripley.

Updated On: 4/8/09 at 02:41 PM

Videos