News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

WishingOnlyWounds2
#25re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/7/09 at 11:30pm

I'm going April 25th, I hope it will be killer by then! I tried to give it enough time to get the kinks ironed out but I just couldn't wait that long.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#26re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/7/09 at 11:31pm

In the issue of fairness, guys, you just can't compare "9 to 5" with "Billy" or any other show. That's not fair to either show - 2 completely different pieces.

You all ready know when you're walking into the theatre, that "9 to 5," will be fun....just a fun time at the theatre, nothing heavy, you don't have to think. You're there to have a fun time.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#27re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/7/09 at 11:34pm

The original movie makes one think.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#28re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

Regarding TONYS... I think it's between Billy or 9 to 5. Mainly because I absolutely loathe the Next To Normal score and have no synopsis to go upon. With that said, I think it will really come down to the mood the Tony voters are in when they see each show. If they wanted something fun, 9 to 5 will win, if they wanted a emotional journey, Billy has it.

They are just too different...

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#29re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

I bet WAT will beat rOcKs to it.

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

fanadu1996
#30re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/7/09 at 11:43pm

its the country version of "in the heights"
I understand a choreographer has his "style" but i felt like i was watching ITH in Tennessee (or some other state in the southern US) that was my biggest problem with it, however, dont get me wrong, i LOVE andy's choreography, just maybe didnt work?
the 3 girls are fierce, epic even.
some great songs, some good song, and some that need to be cut asap.
SJB has a very "elphaba" moment in act 2, forget the song name.
the finale needs to be bigger or something, cant put my finger on it.
I couldnt see the mezz, but the orchestra was packed and the audience seemed to love it. I think it will be successful.

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#31re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/7/09 at 11:45pm

I don't find the music country at all...

EveHarrington Profile Photo
EveHarrington
#32re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/7/09 at 11:46pm

Someone else already copied my post to this thread, but really, it was great. The audience was REALLY eating it up too. Everyone around me was very into the show, laughing very loudly, clapping along with the music, and it received an immediate standing ovation right after the curtain fell.

Honestly, I think it's a little more than just a "fun night out", it's a smart, funny, well put together show with a cast to rival anything else on Broadway.

perfectliar
#33re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/7/09 at 11:59pm

Okay, so 9 to 5 and Billy Elliot are two different shows... duh.

But of course we're going to compare them. So is the Tony committee when they need to decide who to nominate and who to win.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#34re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:01am

Yes, but based on there moods while seeing these two very different shows, it will affect their decisions.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#35re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:03am

LIVE: The Marquis Theatre Webcam

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=46hd&cam_type=large

Pretty cool! re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5' Where's the stagedoor?! lol.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#36re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:06am

There's much to like about 9 TO 5. Much that tourists will eat up, much that will sell to Jane and Joe from West Virginia who are making their first trip to New York. It's big, flashy, and well-designed; it features a great cast and it's just a ton of fun.

Structurally though, there are some problems with it that most of us and probably the critics will point out. The book has some major flaws, so that's where I'll start.

The B Story with Janney and Karl's romance is totally forced and unnecessary. The fact that the two of them have no chemistry doesn't really help matters. I just didn't believe it at all. The laughs, as I mentioned before, are scattered. Thankfully the cast finds the laughs that I fear replacement casts may have trouble locating. Some scenes feel a bit rushed and disjointed (I thought the scene that replaced "I Killed the Boss" was just really awkward and not very funny even though Janney did get me to giggle). But, I have to say, Resnick did a fine job of making the show a lot more theatrical. It's not a great book but it's good enough and it gives the cast (especially the three leads) much to play with.

The score is much better than the book. I loved "9 to 5," "Around Here," "Shine Like the Sun," "Backwoods Barbie, "One of the Boys," "Change It," and "Get Out and Stay Out." Everything else is serviceable, and again this great cast elevates the serviceable material and makes it really strong, particularly Kathy Fitzgerald who's song "Heart to Hart" is nothing amazing but she's hilarious in it. The cut songs were good choices to cut, but the problem is that the songs that have replaced them (save "Change It") aren't really vast improvements. It's tough to compare this score to NEXT TO NORMAL or BILLY ELLIOT because it couldn't be more different, but I could see it being a definite Tony dark horse. Side note: I'd love it if they implemented a second "9 to 5" finale after the bows.

The cast is really great. Janney, Hilty, and Block are all fantastic in their own way and are surefire Tony nominees. Janney is a virtuoso comedienne and stops the show with "One of the Boys." Her singing voice is pretty minimal but she's clearly having a ball onstage. Ripley still has the Tony in the bag, IMO. Hilty is Doralee Rhodes. Period. She does a great job of melding Dolly and her own take on the character and her voice really sounds better than ever. Block is finally in a role that is perfect for her. Her comic timing has never been better and she brought the house down with "Get Out and Stay Out." I've never been a huge fan of hers but tonight, she rocked it.

Kudisch is good but I just wish his songs were better. Fitzgerald is hysterical and Karl does what he can with an underwritten role.

This is, by far, Joe Mantello's best direction of a "big" musical. Fluid, at times ingenious, and both classic "Broadway" as well as "innovative," his direction is never boring here. Andy Blankenbeuhler's choreography was probably my favorite thing about the show, honestly. He is so genius. That's really the most concise way I can put it.

Loved the technical aspects; great sets (surely a Tony-winner), gorgeous costumes, fantastic lights (loved the back wall!), and strong orchestrations.

It's great to look at (you totally get your money's worth in the sets and visual aspects alone) and the cast is wonderful but like I said, the book is flawed and the score, while strong, has faulty moments.

But I just can't ignore the big smile I left with. Sorry if this review is a bit disjointed, I'm stuck between pointing out the flaws, and highlighting what a good time I had.

I'll try to post a bit more tomorrow when I sleep on it. But as of now, *** out of ****.

I'll get to your questions right away.

One last thought, I'm going back to see it in a week but I really want to see it again once it opens. I have no doubt in my mind that the show can't be improved upon in the coming month or so.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#37re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:10am

Where were you stting? Was it a good view?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#38re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:10am

Thanks! Nice review. I guess what we thought would be cut (Tattletale) is still in? I heard it on THAT SITE and loved it. Ann Harada is one funny gal.

Yankeefan007
#39re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:11am

well, really, the question on my mind is was Dolly Parton there and did she sign autographs at the SD? And what about Megan "Galinda" Hilty - luuuuuuuuuurve her.

EveHarrington Profile Photo
EveHarrington
#40re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:17am

"
The B Story with Janney and Karl's romance is totally forced and unnecessary. The fact that the two of them have no chemistry doesn't really help matters. I just didn't believe it at all. "

This couldn't be more untrue. The two look and sound great together, and OOZE chemistry. Dunno how you missed that.

Yankeefan007
#41re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:20am

Ah, nothin' like a "your opinion is wrong" post.

I thought that was just reserved for ROCK OF AGES.

Who knew?

lightinthepizza2
#42re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

where is the marquis stage door? and was dolly there?!

because if she was then i'm heading to time square tomorrow evening haha
Updated On: 4/8/09 at 12:20 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#43re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

Full audience; ate it up, as I mentioned.

The piece of the set that fell was part of the plastic cover that goes to the garage opener. It fell behind the girls and they turned around but continued with the song like the pros they are.

SONG LIST:

-ACT ONE-
"9 to 5"---Violet, Doralee, Dwayne, Judy, and Ensemble
"Around Here"---Violet and Ensemble
"Here for You"---Hart
"I Just Might"---Judy, Doralee, Violet
"Backwoods Barbie"---Doralee
"The Dance of Death"---Judy, Hart, and Ensemble
"Cowgirl's Revenge"---Doralee, Hart, and Ensemble
"Potion Notion"---Violet, Hart, and Ensemble
"Joy to the Girls"---Judy, Doralee, Violet, Hart, and Ensemble
"Heart to Hart"---Roz and Ensemble
"Shine Like the Sun"---Doralee, Judy, Violet

-ACT TWO-
Entr'acte---Orchestra
"One of the Boys"---Violet and Boys
"5 to 9"---Roz
"Always a Woman"---Hart and Men's Ensemble
"Change It"---Doralee, Judy, Violet, and Ensemble
"Let Love Grow"---Joe, Violet
"Get Out and Stay Out"---Judy
Finale: "9 to 5"--The Company

UNDERSTUDIES:
Violet: ANN HARADA, LISA HOWARD; Judy: GAELEN GILLIAND, JESSICA LEA PATTY, TORY ROSS; Doralee: GAELEN GILLIAND, AUTUMN GUZZARDI; Hart: MICHAEL X. MARTIN, WAYE SCHRODER; Roz: ANN HARADA, KAREN MURPHY, TORY ROSS; Joe: PAUL CASTREE, JUSTIN PATTERSON; Dwayne: JUSTIN BOHON, JUSTIN PATTERSON; Dick: JEREMY DAVIS, WAYNE SCHRODER; Josh: JUSTIN BOHON, MICHAEL MINDLIN; Kathy: TORY ROSS, MAIA NKENGE WILSON; Margaret: TORY ROSS, GAELEN GILLIAND; Maria: JESSICA LEA PATTY, JENNIFER BALANGA; Missy: BRANDI WOOTEN, GAELEN GILLIAND; Tinsworthy: DAN COONEY, WAYNE SCHRODER

(Isn't Missy the girl Dick dumped Judy for? She said "Missi with an 'i'"...typo in the Playbill? Or am I thinking of the wrong character?)

Glad to answer any other questions!

WiCkEDrOcKS
#44re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:22am

I was Row E in the Mezzanine...perfect view. When I go in a week, I'll be row M in the Orchestra.

No Dolly, yankee. I was so pissed, I was secretly hoping the set would break down so she would come out and sing.

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#45re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:26am

Ok...so I just got back after a manic stage door and a show that can only be described as "divine". This is a show that could bring a smile to even Ebenezer Scrooge's face...even Ben Brantley could not hate this show.

The cast were all cometely at the top of their game. Allison Janney proves she has a dazzle dazzle Broadway diva just waiting to burst out. "One of the Boys" was definitely a highlight of the show. Megab Hilty was her usual amazing self. "Backwoods Barbie" is a great song that may become her signature song. However, for me Steph J Block was the star of the show. She sang like an angel, looked simply fierce (in a good way) and was a knockout. "Get Out" was PHENOMENAL!! She got a round of applause mid song twice. Kathy Fitzgerald was HILARIOUS! "5 to 9" remains ... thankfully, and she totally deserves a Tony for her performance. For me Mark Kudisch was a minor weak link in an incredibly long chain. That's probably due to him having the only did song in the score "Always a Woman" which replaced "Mundania". I only heard the title phrase repeated every second sentence plus some probably funny one-liners which were drowned out by the male ensemble doing their best gospel choir impersonation (complete with spirit fingers and robes).

William Ivey Long has done his best work to date on this show. Judy's blue sequin dress in the Dream Sequence (her section is now titled "The Dance of Death") is now longer and more sassy than before. Another costume highlight was Ann Harada's pant suit - which makes a brief but very welcome appearance late in the second act. Scott Pask is a genius. To see the office set (complete with desks, trash cans, a water cooler and indoor plant) plus walls and ceiling lights come together in about 10 seconds was one of those few moments where a set can steal an audience's attention. The projection designer of G&D down at the Nederlander need to take a lead out of Peggi Eisenhauer and Peter Nigrini's book. Their imagery was spot on-not too distracting, yet essential to the rest of the set design.

Dolly Partin has written some great numbers for this show, including the aforementioned "Get Out and Stay Out", "One of the Boys", and "Backwoods Barbie". Other highlights were the opening number, "Change It" which replaces another song I can't quite remember near the top of the second act, and the beautiful "Shine Like the Sun", which has an unintentional nod to Steph J Block's time in Wicked.

All in all, this show deserves a long and healthy run. It has all the right ingredients -a great and very capable creative team matched with a top shelf cast. All it needs now is a little trimming (mostly directed towards both of Hart's numbers) and it is a sure fire hit. Look out Broadway, these gals will be clocking in for many years to come.

dramadude Profile Photo
dramadude
#46re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:27am

I too had the pleasure of seeing "9 to 5" tonight and thoroughly enjoyed myself! For starters, what a star-studded audience: Hunter, Jeff, and Michael from [tos], Michael Longoria, Caroline Rhea... and that was just in the mezzanine! I'm almost positive Dolly was tucked away in some corner. One of the waiters at "Junior's" asked how the show was and told us that they were on an unofficial "Dolly watch". In addition, I have never seen the stage door at the Marquis after a show like it was tonight with the crowd almost pouring into the street. We had waited to be seated, ate, and the crowd was still there when we left.

The show was great overall, but I think that both "Billy Elliot" and "Next To Normal" stand to be fierce competition. Although, I could see this show winning an onslaught at the Tony awards like Hairspray.

Block, Hilty, and Janney were on fire! Kudisch delivered in full a disgustingly, charming boss with vocal chops to match. I think each woman brought a different dish to the table, but Bloch pulled out all the stops. One of her many innocent, witty lines in the show set her up for huge applause when pulling a line from "Wicked". The eleven o'clock number literally had portions of her body language in synchronicity of her performance of "Defying Gravity". She even riffed the hell out of her final note.

Updated On: 4/8/09 at 12:27 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#47re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:28am

How freaking HOT did Stephanie look in that "Dance of Death" dress?!

hubee Profile Photo
hubee
#48re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:30am

I've only seen the LA production so can't comment on changes but I pretty much agree with everyhthing rOcKS said.

book is creaky but music is great (though sometimes just serviceable). but the choreography is the best thing in the show. and the cast makes the jokes and songs work. I didn't really buy Andy with Allison either but I like both of them enough that I let it go.

It's a FUN show. nothing brilliant but very FUN.

http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com/2009/04/working-hard-to-please-9-to-5-musical.html

I don't know if it'll beat Billy for Best Musical but it'll definitely be nominated.

http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#49re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:31am

I don't think i'm writing a full review tonight, but let me just say this. If it were not for BILLY ELLIOT this season, 9 TO 5 would win practically every award. I loved the score, the book, the choreography, the set, the costumes, Marc, Stephanie, Megan and Allison. If the audience reaction tonight is any indication, this will be a monster hit and run for a long time. I honestly can't wait to see it again. So much fun. I loved it.

Videos