News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#75re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:26am

oh i'm glad!!

Your fupa is showing.

pharmer2000 Profile Photo
pharmer2000
#76re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:36am

I can not say enough to praise 9 to 5. I am so glad to be part of the first preview audience. 9 to 5 is truly an amazing show with an important message and a lot of laughs. This is the show to see! The entire cast is superb, especially Allison Janney, Stephanie J. Block and Megan Hilty. Dolly Parton outdid herself with such beautiful and fun music and lyrics. Patricia Resnick did a fantastic job keeping the flavor of the movie, while reinventing it for the stage. The audience was very responsive with lots of applause, cheering and laughing. I can't wait to see 9 to 5 again in just a few weeks. 9 to 5 is sure to lift your spirits and put a smile on your face.

Updated On: 4/13/09 at 01:36 AM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#77re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:39am

I've had a very rough couple of weeks, but 9 TO 5 certainly lifted my spirits and put a smile on my face! It was such a feel-good musical. Dolly Parton's score and lyrics made me so happy...and some of those lines in the book to the show were truly HILARIOUS. I can't praise this show enough. You will definitely leave the show in a great mood!

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#78re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:45am

This is why i think 9 to 5 should and will win best musical.. I have not seen this many people on the board so happy after a first preview. If it can keep you happy for hours after the fact.. it's a hit.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#79re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:50am

This will absolutely 100% be a hit show...there is no question about it. I am so happy for everyone involved...they all deserve it.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#80re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:15am

I saw it 4 times in LA just because it put that big a smile on my face. Had it not been for it having to move I would probably still be seeing it regularly. I can't wait to see it again in August.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#81re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 3:33am

I saw this show in LA and it's already loads better than it was. I loved it in LA and now, I absolutely adore it.

I haven't seen Next to Normal in the current production, but I did see it at Second Stage. I thought it was good, but not nearly as worthy of all the acclaim it's getting now. Perhaps it's much improved since Second Stage, but I still think 9 to 5 has a shot at many Tony's.

First of all, the song changes are better for the most part. I saw it early in the LA run, so I don't recall the exact names of the songs, but thank god "Mundania" is gone. I thought Hart's new song was loads better, although I still feel that the best material goes to the girls overall.

Perhaps it was just me, but I felt like, in LA, Allison Janney's part was played up and she stole the show and ran away with it in LA. Now, even though she still steals the show, it seems like the show is attempting to set the stage for Block and Hilty to get the Tony noms. I think all three of those ladies deserve Tony's for what they do in this show though and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them get nominated or win.

Kudos to Megan Hilty. One of my pet peeves is people who lose their accents while they sing. She kept it flawlessly for the whole show. I'm not the biggest fan of country music as a whole which is why I didn't love "Backwoods Barbie" but Hilty's acting is excellent. The audience was eating up Hilty the entire night.

Sidebar: Dolly did a great job with the score of appealing to all people and not just fans of country music, which could be a misconception about a musical by Dolly Parton. It has such a feel good score!

I think Stephanie Block (who was great in LA) has really found all the laughs in her character now. She's phenomenal and absolute perfection as Judy and vocally, she is ridiculous. I don't really have a bad thing to say about her.

Kudisch was much funnier here than in LA. He had better material to work with and he really overemphasized the chauvinistic pic that is Hart and it really worked in the scheme of the show.

Allison Janney is perfection. Even though she's not a singer by nature, she sounded beautiful with ANdy Karl and actually sounded quite good in all her songs. "One of the Boys" and her part of the dream sequence are highlights for me.

Andy Karl having a song made my little heart so happy. And he sounded great with Allison. He's very endearing in his role. As is Kathy Fitzgerald who took Roz to an even more humorous level than in LA.

I also just want to give points to the ensemble. The choreography here is great (no surprise coming from Andy) and the ensemble, as a whole, is full of excellent dancers who make all the choreography so crisp and enjoyable to watch. The sets are so efficient and smooth moving and besides that one little "the scenery fell from the sky" moment, there were really no technical issues. I totally forgot about the elevator not working!

The score is strong, full of catchy tunes. I actually liked the original song that S.J.B. sang at hte copier, and I'm also sad they took out Ann Harada's song because I really like that song, but the song changes as a whole were strong, intelligent choices. "Shine Like the Sun" is a distinct stand out for me, I think it's such a great act one closer and I can't wait for the music to be recorded!

This was written at 3:30 in the morning, so I apologize if it wasn't entirely coherent.

Having been to quite a few first previews, I will say that this one was very smooth. It started on time and save for a rather long intermission, went smoothly. If this show is this strong at its first preview, I can't wait to see what it looks like on opening night.

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com
Updated On: 4/8/09 at 03:33 AM

DefyGravity777
#82re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 5:18am

"(Isn't Missy the girl Dick dumped Judy for? She said "Missi with an 'i'"...typo in the Playbill? Or am I thinking of the wrong character?)"

Her name was Mindi who is never seen. Missy is an ensemble member that has one line(I forget which part though).

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#83re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 5:51am

Who are the new cast members?
Updated On: 4/8/09 at 05:51 AM

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#84re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 5:58am

Is there any set changes like the show curtain or anything

And when did megan say lets take the stairs

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

DefyGravity777
#85re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 6:33am

"And when did megan say lets take the stairs"

When they were going back to Violet's place to smoke the pot.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#86re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 7:24am

Any word on merchandise?

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#87re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 7:26am

Also, is there a booth where you can pre-order the OBCR?

PiraguaGuy2
#88re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 8:17am

I. CANNOT. WAIT.

MUST. BUY. TICKET. NOW.

I'm very glad they got all the technical elements set. When I talked to someone involved with the show just a couple days ago, they told me they were having serious technical issues, what with that huge set.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Yankeefan007
#89re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 8:55am

And I still have 0 interest.

Glad you all enjoyed it.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#90re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 8:59am

I'm with you, yankeefan! but I am interested in reading what everyone thinks about the show!

Sorry... but BILLY ELLIOT will win the TONYS for Best (New) Musical!

J*

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#91re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 9:01am

Most likely it will be nominated for the TONYS along with BILLY ELLIOT, NEXT TO NORMAL and hopefully [title of the show] I would be shocked if ROCK OF AGES takes its place, instead of [tos] but we still dont know how N2N's reviews...

J*
Updated On: 4/8/09 at 09:01 AM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#92re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 9:04am

(sorry to threadjack) but what happened to the $25.00 or $35.00 tixs at the Marquis?
you know the last last row, but still a decent seat...

J*

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#93re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 9:48am

carymetorent2, what did your friends think of the rush seats?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#94re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 9:50am

I am seeing this tomorrow night and CANNOT WAIT!!!!! I am so glad to hear such positive reviews.

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#95re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:05am

Re merchandise: they were selling like crazy at intermission. So far only the windowcard (which they nearly sold out of), some t-shirts that had quotes from the show on them (like the egotistical bigot line), and then some Dolly stuff - her new CD and some signed photos. Also a coffee mug and a baseball cap. There was no pre-order form for the OBCR, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one tonight, the cast recording will sell like hotcakes.

Intermission ran 22 minutes instead of the advertised 15 which was due to the huge queue for the single merch booth. Hopefully by tonight they'll have a smaller booth in the mezz foyer as well.

Also, whose idea was to put a theatre in the middle of a hotel?

Yankeefan007
#96re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:14am

The people whose idea it was to knock down the handful of theaters that once stood where the hotel is now?

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#97re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:24am

Well, they're stupid. The theatre is so confusing to get to. There is next to no signage, and I found myself asking every available employee of the Mariott for directions.

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#98re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:35am

Can someone give me a quick "turn left, then go up the dtairs and then turn right" set of directions for me to get to the theatre? I have never been in there before.

ALSO, I am so surprised they still haven't put more signs up in the hotel, it seems like everyday someone complains about how confusing it is to get to. I think it's the only theatre in Broadway without an official entrance.

I am glad everyone liked it who was there last night, it seems like every season we all have one guilt pleasure that we all love, last season was Xanadu and this year it seems to be "9 to 5."

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

EveHarrington Profile Photo
EveHarrington
#99re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:36am

"I am glad everyone liked it who was there last night, it seems like every season we all have one guilt pleasure that we all love, last season was Xanadu and this year it seems to be "9 to 5.""

I don't really think that's an accurate comparison at all. Xanadu was all fun and no substance. 9 to 5 has many more merits as a show than Xanadu did, and honestly, there's nothing to feel guilty about for me.

Videos