News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#150re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:08pm

"I Just Might" is a mesh of both "Out of Control" and "The One I Love."

So yes, it's Blocks "problem" song. She gets a chunk to sing at the beginning of the song and it then leads into Janney and Hilty joining her.

I don't think Ripley is long overdue, but I do think (if it counts for anything anymore in the politic-filled world that is the Tony Awards) she is simply just giving a better performance than Janney. By leaps and bounds. And like I said, its an obvious "lead" performance.

Does it make me naive to think that the winner of the award should be the woman who actually, all politics aside, gives a stronger performance? Probably.
Not to knock Janney but Ripley is giving a tour-de-force and doesn't even register as a second thought of the rightful Tony winner for me. Her performance in N2N is just heartbreaking and incredibly powerful.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#151re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:14pm

Having not seen either Ripley or Janney, I don't think its fair to say that "it's not really fair to reward a non-singer, non-dancer as a musical actress because she's great at deadpanning." Yes, the award is for Best Actress in a Musical, but it is still Best Actress. If Janney is doing the better acting job (and I can't say if she is or not) she should win the award, even if she isn't a dancer or singer (though, from the reports here, it seems as if she is handling her singing just fine).

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#152re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:14pm

I'm just wondering if voters will go for the more "comfortable" of the two performances. Janney has a lot more name value than Ripley. While Ripley may be deserving, Janney may be more realistic of a choice if looking through the eyes of a typical Tony voter.

I say let Block and Hilty duke it out in the lead category with Janney and Ripley. More fun, I'd say.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#153re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:21pm

I think Olivo should win feautred.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#154re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:32pm

Would the Tony voters really allow one of them to be Leading and the other two be Featured, even though they're all equally-sized roles, all featured equally on posters and in publicity? Is there any precedent for something such as this?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RentBoy86
#155re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:35pm

No way. Stephanie J. Block deserves featured all the way. I saw it tonight and she kicked major ass. I couldn't stop watching her and she just gave a true star turning performance. She's solidified her spot as a musical theater actress instead of someone who just belts her face off (I'm looking at you pretty much every other Elphaba). She landed every line and I was so into her character and her story. I thought she was the best of the bunch.

Janey is great and hilarious, and Hilty is perfect. When she storms into Hart's office in Act 1 was brilliant.

The show as a whole was okay. I honestly felt like I got to know Roz more as a character/person rather than the three leading ladies. It seems excessive to give two major songs to a supporting player. I think Hilty needs another song rather than Roz.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#156re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:37pm

Stephanie deserves a TONY, not because she's been doing it for song, but because she is just amazing!

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#157re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:39pm

I haven't seen it yet, and really want to see it. Does anyone when the Tony team goes to the shows to decide who is in the bag for nominations?

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

RentBoy86
#158re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:42pm

WishingOnlyWounds2 - I'm going to say you probably need more of an argument than that, but she is great in the show. I've never been a huge fan of hers, but she won me over in this show. She was just on point tonight.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#159re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:43pm

While you could argue that it's excessive to give a supporting character in a show with 3 leads 2 songs, I wouldn't make a generalization that a supporting actor shouldn't have more than 1 song. Many, many musicals would prove you wrong.

RentBoy86
#160re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 11:53pm

Well, I think it's more of an argument of material. I don't feel like the three leading ladies had sufficient enough material to make their characterizations whole. Hilty's character just came off as ... Dolly Parton. Janey came off as laid back, and Block faired the best, but still didn't really change all that much. Where as Roz, man, I knew everything she was going through, I knew what she wanted and I almost sympathized with her character.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#161re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 12:44am

Was Dolly Parton at the show again tonight?

RentBoy86
#162re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 1:34am

Nope, not visibly anyways. The family sitting behind me had some sort of connection to the show because the wife asked where Dolly was, and the guy said she's here, but he can't say where. I guess she was hiding out? Seems weird to me. I mean, sure she's recognizable, but I don't see the big deal.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#163re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 2:30am

I was at the first preview and I loved it!

Stephanie, Megan and Allison are absolutely fabulous and really give knock out performances. Stephanie belts her face off during "Get Out and Stay Out" and tore the house down! Megan was Doralee to a tee and just oozed sex appeal and hilarity! Allison, while the weaker vocalist of the three, was having the best time up there and never let her confidence waiver once. I truly loved them.

The score is really catchy especially the title song, "Shine Like The Sun", "Get Out and Stay Out" amongst others. The ensemble is full of talent and they truly shine in their respective ensemble tracks!

I truly had the greatest of times at the show, and just from the first preview alone, it seems like this show has hit written all over it!

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#164re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 4:29am

I saw the show tonight, I rushed and got Row H 19 or somewhere there near the side. Didn't really miss much being partial view which I was ecstatic about. I went in so excited having listened to the tracks online and watching all the interviews with Dolly. Also just the fact of loving Dolly I couldn't wait. So possibly I went in with too high of expectations. But overall the show was very cute. I feel like there is so much more potential in it thats missing. I'm going to blame the book (as much as a laughed )because I think most of Dolly's music is some nice solid material. It just felt very scattered and not focused, and as other people have been saying rushed at points. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed myself and laughed alot. But I didn't leave with the feeling"WOW that was such a great show"(as I did with N2N and Hair the past week). The only word I could produce to describe the show after was CUTE not bad not great but cute. Some really great performances, I love Stephanie to bits and her "Get Out..." gave me chills. Ms. Hilty is so adorable in everything she does and "Backwoods Barbie" (which I have listen to on Dolly's Cd several times) was so well acted and added alot to the song. Now Janney I thought had a good performance as well, I wasn't feeling the relationship with Karl either, sure the song was nice between them but the chemisty was low. Although I was glad to see him having a bigger part than in Blonde. And the Tony battle of '09 in my opinion is Ripley's. Janney didn't have much material to really win me over, what she did was good. But there is no way I can even compair Alice's 2 hrs or more of brilliance. To Janney's few song and monos. I agree with Sets and Choreo getting Tony's. The show itself winning I cannot comment as I will be seeing BE next week but compaired to N2N it shouldn't win...will it?.. possibly but shouldn't. The sad thing though is I was so excited for it and I left disappointed. Truly I don't know if I want to pay another $36 to see it :/ Hopefully some more work will continue during previews.

jazzicat Profile Photo
jazzicat
#165re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 7:23am

Last night (4/re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'was one of the best nights of theater in NY I have experienced. I can't even describe the outpouring of heartfelt joy from the audience. I haven't laughed like that in a really, really long time. This is truly a recessionary show and I believe it will stike a chord with a lot of those slaving away in corporate america right now. The rules have been thrown out the window and a lot of people will find release in this show. It's always interesting to see how a lot really hasn't changed since the 70's. I really suggest they find a way to market this to working stiffs. It will be a hit. a huge one. And the timing is ideal.

Last night's audience was DEFINITELY one of the most responsive that i have ever been a part of.I almost felt as if people wanted to yell out "Way to go Steph" or "You really nailed that one Allison." We all were just cheering the girls and "our girls" on. I can't add much about the performances-- they sparkled, often literally.

Although for the tony argument-- Alison Janney is my hero-- she's clearly not the best singer in the world,in fact she's often flat. I think at times she was shaking her own head at some of the notes she had to hit. But she PLOWS THROUGH, clearly loving her job and being Violet-- hers is the performance I remember the most. She is so gutsy- daring the audience - almost ok, yeah I'm not a power belter-- but I sure can act, and I'm as funny as hell...and act she does. She made me want to be a braver person, to take clear risks-- and for that, I believe-- she ultimately deserves the Tony.

I also wanted to comment on SJB's subtle movements during "her moment." Perfect, spot on-- when she closes the door and throws down Dick's shirt-- every moment is well directed and full of emotion. She nails the song and the feelings we have all felt in our lives and truly hits it home.

Megan, Marc and the entire rest of the cast was divine. As was the set. My only real complaint is that the acoustics were terrible and it probably varies by seat. I was third row and I didn't feel as if it was loud enough. Maybe my ipod has ruined my expectations in that regard. What a night! Now I'm off to my 9 to 5, but this show has lifted my spirits and is helping e face the day!

BAHWAAA Profile Photo
BAHWAAA
#166re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 10:33am

Keep writing about your experiences at 9 - 5. I will be seeing it later this month. The more comments I read the better/or not - feel about seeing the show.

Thanks all. I'm brand new to this board

RentBoy86
#167re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 10:49am

I agree. The show has a lot of missed potential. The lyrics are quite trite at times, which can work sometimes for the characters (as they're not the smartest people in the world), but it also hinders them. The whole song "Change It" was like a five minute commercial for Lifetime or something. I just didn't the the score was that strong on a whole. I liked a lot of the music - the underscoring and whatnot - but the actual "songs," none of them registered with me. I didn't really leave humming or thinking "oh yeah, I'd like to hear that song again."

RentBoy86
#168re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 11:00pm

Bump.

Maybe I was just overwhelmed by all the elements, but I just didn't quite get the hype. Even the set wasn't that fantastic. It seemed like a lot of money was pumped into it, but not much thought. What was the point of the video screen? It didn't really do anything? What was the point of the columns coming up through the floor? No point. Even the legs (the curtains hanging to cover the wings) weren't decorated in any sort of fashion or design.

bardolator
#169re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 11:09pm

Wow, RentBoy--I definitely left the theatre in LA with tunes running through my head. Particular standouts were "Tattletales," "Heart to Hart" and, of course, "Get Out and Stay Out," though there were others I kept "hearing," as well.

I thought the set and costumes were great but hated Judy's shellacked wig, especially during GOASO, when she's in her nightgown. SO glad to hear they've given her a new wig for the second act, though I've also seen pictures of Dol--err, Doralee's wigs, and they've gotten a little over the top, IMO. re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

RentBoy86
#170re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 11:29pm

It's not my style of music. I don't like "twang," so it didn't really hit my ears with glee. You're obviously a fan, I just didn't think it was anything to write home about. Sure, I'd go see it again, and probably will, but I don't think it's going to sweep the Tonys or anything. And I think Billy Elliot still deserves set. Their set is inventive and beautiful in its ugliness.

scaryclowns2232
#171re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/9/09 at 11:41pm

Back from tonight's show.

It was fun and entertaining, and semi-original and fresh, but really didn't wow me. Honestly, it just didn't click. I had a great time, but it really wasn't anything that blew me out of my seat.

All the performances were great, with Janney and Block really taking the cake for me. I actually thought Kathy Fitzgerald was just ok- her songs were a huge disappointment.

I think it will come together by opening, but something just seemed off. I laughed a ton, but it seemed a bit inconsistent, and the show never really grabbed me.

The sound leveling was TOTALLY off, and it felt distant for a majority of the show. Something must have been wrong, because the mics shut off in the middle of the first act and they stopped the show. Luckily, Ionna Alfonso came through with a great ad-lib, and the audience ate it up.

Again, I had a nice time, but neither the score nor the book were Tony-worthy, and the only award I think it really might win would be set, along with featured actress (depending on how Block and Hilty are classified.)

It was a super fun show, but it just didn't live up to the hype.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#172re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/10/09 at 12:41am

Rentfan931 sent me a PM but it's not working cause he can't accept them in return.

But the question was about how many gunshots there are...there's prerecorded tracks of gunshots during "Dance of Death" but two real gunshot noises right before "Shine Like the Sun."

Hope you see this, Rentfan931!

Videos