pixeltracker

BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson

BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 12:09am

"Tony Award-nominated playwright Douglas Carter Beane has reconceived his stage musical Dancing in the Dark — based on the M-G-M picture "The Band Wagon," and seen earlier this year in San Diego — as a vehicle for Broadway leading man Cheyenne Jackson.

Playbill.com has learned that a late October New York City industry reading is expected to explore the rewrite of the backstage musical comedy about oil-and-water stars of a troubled Broadway-bound musical. Xanadu star Jackson plays the freshened lead role of a Hollywood bad boy named Tony Hunter leaping into the legit realm.

Gary Griffin (The Color Purple, The Apple Tree) remains attached as director. The property is no longer called Dancing in the Dark, as it was at the Old Globe in San Diego March 4-April 20, 2008. The new title is the old title — The Band Wagon, which will please fans of the 1953 movie musical that starred Fred Astaire as a song-and-dance man Tony Hunter paired with Cyd Charisse as a ballet star Gaby Gerard. They're teamed in a pretentious musical version of Faust that is sinking on the road until an injection of show tunes saves the day.

Both the classic film and this stage version (which is being shepherded by producers Barry and Fran Weissler, of Chicago fame) are packed with songs by golden age Broadway writers Howard Dietz (lyrics) and Arthur Schwartz (music). They wrote "That's Entertainment" for the '53 movie; the rest of the score was pulled from their catalog of classics (think "Dancing in the Dark," "New Sun in the Sky," "Triplets," "I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan," "By Myself" and more)..."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/122426.html

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#2re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 12:20am

Cheyenne Jackson and Tony Yazbeck on the same stage...........

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 12:34am

This could work! I like how they're trying to adapt it. Sounds like a very different "Tony Hunter" than Astaire's, but that could work well for Jackson, and still serve the story.

"The Band Wagon" remains one of the funniest classic film musicals ever made, perhaps second only to "Singin' in the Rain." I do hope they keep the humor!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

timote316
#3re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 12:41am

With Beane involved, I'd assume they humor will be kept, if not enhanced. This is very exciting news!

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#4re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 12:46am

More surprising than Cheyenne and Yazbeck combined....

Are the Weisslers really producing this? It doesn't seem like their cup of tea (i.e. there are no celebrities, and its somewhat of a risk). Good for them for not resting on their laurels...

Trekkie2
#5re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 12:50am

Smart move. I'd love to finally get to see Cheyenne. Maybe they'll find a reason for him to take his shirt off... Oh, and I hope the material is good, too (but I don't really care, I'd watch Cheyenne read the yellow pages).

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

tellybox Profile Photo
tellybox
#6re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 12:56am

This delights me to no end.

Cheyenne, Tony, Mara Davi, and Beth Leavel??

Sign me up re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#7BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 1:01am

I'm soooo happy about this.
I saw Douglas Carter Beane at the final XANADU performance and asked him about DANCING IN THE DARK and he told me Cheyenne would be doing the 1st reading for it but asked me not to post it on the board. I've been bursting at the seams ever since.
And I'm glad it's happening so soon 'cause I might have imploded otherwise. I have faith it will make it to Broadway.
With a cast like that and DCB's comic genius writing it's bound to happen BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)
Updated On: 10/17/08 at 01:01 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#8re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 1:02am

What I like most about this already is that they're not just going to take the classic MGM musical and throw it up on stage. They're stepping away from the characters a bit, finding new ones (for Tony Hunter and Paul Byrne) and making it work for today's audiences.

This is the sort of adaptation I can get behind. Because they're actually ADAPTING it.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#9re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 1:10am

Word!!! If DCB could turn a horrible movie like XANADU into something fabulous, just imagine what he can do with this.

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#10re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 1:35am

I dare say its easier to make a horrible campy movie better on stage than a film that was perfection the first time around...

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#11re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 4:59am

I have really mixed feelings about this. The proposed reconception of The Band Wagon definitely has possibilities and could be a lot of fun. But I love the movie and especially Fred Astaire's Tony Hunter portrayal. So imagining someone else in the role, even totally reconceived, is hard.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#12re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 7:32am

As excited as I am about this I have to feel a little bad for Scott Bakula. I saw him in concert here in Washington DC doing his song and dance. (He was excellent...)
BUT... I have to say I think Cheyenne is the bee's knees so anything he does is wonderful to me.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

MarkK Profile Photo
MarkK
#13re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 7:50am

I'm very excited for this!!!

Ed_Mottershead
#14re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 9:21am

I'm excited about this too. I'm assuming that the part of Tony will be modified to suit Cheyenne's particular talents. I ADORE Cheyenne, but dancing, at least so far, hasn't been his strongest suit. I imagine the rewrite will emphasize the singing, comic and charm aspects of the role, unless Cheyenne has some tricks up his sleeve that he's been hiding.

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 10/17/08 at 09:21 AM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#15re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 9:56am

Cheyenne Jackson, Tony Yazbeck, and Mara Davi all in the same show?

It already sounds great.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#16re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 9:57am

This is good news for the show. As presented in San Diego, it didn't quite come together. It was close -- maybe 75% there. I'm glad they are still working on it. The script needed some polishing, especially the end (in my opinion).

Scott Bakula was fine in the role, but didn't really shine as a "star" should. I felt they needed someone with a bit more pizzazz in the song and dance department. Cheyenne Jackson could be the ticket.

I loved the rest of the cast, so that they are keeping almost everyone else is good news. Great roles for Beth Leavel, Mara Davi and Patrick Page. All could be up for Tonys if the show gels.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#17re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 10:01am

Oh, also, for those of a mind...if the costuming stays the same, Tony Yazbeck will be performing his opening dance number without a shirt and in tights.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#18re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 10:08am

Beane and Jackson together again after such a short amount of time? Best early morning new possible!

SillySara Profile Photo
SillySara
#19re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 10:38am

While I am super excited about this piece of Cheyenne Jackson news, I am almost equally as thrilled to hear that Patrick Paige is also attached to this project!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#20re: BAND WAGON Reconcieved as Vehicle for Jackson
Posted: 10/17/08 at 1:14pm

The Band Wagon is my favorite MGM musical, more than Singing in the Rain or Meet Me in St. Louis.

But I'm not sure the "pretentious musical adaptation of Faust" idea is so funny any more.

Nevertheless, the cast sounds fun, especially if they put Beth Leavel into the mix.

Videos