pixeltracker

Vocal flubs on cast recordings....

Vocal flubs on cast recordings....

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#0Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 12:38pm

The most recent screw up on a cast recording I can think of is Sutton Foster sort of cracking when she belts the high E in "Astonishing" on the Little Women cd.

I have heard her sing it live and on stage she mixed it and doesnt crack. You think they could fix these things in the studio? Short of time I guess.

Any others people can think of?

Or how about Chenoweth not adding in the extra high notes on the Wicked OBC?

JLSatUD Profile Photo
JLSatUD
#1re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:01pm

Not necessarily a total flub, could be just bad mixing, but I hate on the Rent OBC in the beginning, the phone rings, then there's a long pause, and THEN Benny says "hey hey hey."

broadwayboy430 Profile Photo
broadwayboy430
#2re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:09pm

Two things that irk me. On the Wicked OBC, Idina singing during "The Wizard and I" "for half of Oz's favorite TEEAAAMM", I know that she tries to do a vocal riff there, but it doesn't fit and is quite sharp.

Conversly, at the end of "Waiting for Life" in Once on this Island, LaChanze goes a little flat of the last "waiting for life to begiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnn!!!" Again, a bad vocal riff.

hypertruffle
#3re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:14pm

I swear, I think I hear a cough sound during Kiss Me II on the Sweeney Revival. When Anthony reveals his name, there's this cough in the background.

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

Dgrav30
#4re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:24pm

i heard the cough as well, dont really know why it is there either

Kringas
#5re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:26pm

Not necessarily a total flub, could be just bad mixing, but I hate on the Rent OBC in the beginning, the phone rings, then there's a long pause, and THEN Benny says [ "ho ho ho"]

I think the silence is because he's reacting to what Mark said ("What do you mean, detained?") which was a greeting clearly not meant for him.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#6re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:26pm

There's definitley a cough but I don't know if its intentional or not. I distinctively remeber him doing that during the show when I saw it and I think it might be a character choice. Like "*cough* she doesn't know my name?". I'm going out on a limb on this one.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

shermanslave Profile Photo
shermanslave
#7re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:29pm

What about the OBC of Company on "We loooovvve hiiimmmm" you can hear Stritch all off key and then it just sorta fades out.

Please visit Bitchy Waiter

hypertruffle
#8re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:34pm

I saw the Sweeney revival the other day, and I definately didn't hear or see anyone cough during that part. Maybe it was just an accident?

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

bigrab1018 Profile Photo
bigrab1018
#9re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:52pm

On the BKYLN recording, in "The Truth," Eden cracks when she says "It gives you strength." (on "strength")

"Billy, put down that phylactery...we're Episcopalian." - Spelling Bee

#10re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:55pm

SHERMAN!!!!! YESYESYES!!! i have heard that for like 25 years! WHAT is the DEAL with that! i LAUGH every time i hear that! its just SOOOOOOOOOO AWFUL! have you ever seen the making of that record? its on a dvd...they were really put through the ringer during that process. i am laughing so hard that some else recalls that because thats what i was coming on to write as well!

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#11re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:58pm

Sometimes Benjamin does a flustered sort of laugh thing before he says "Anthony!" so he may have decided to cough for the recording. Weird decision, though, always makes me laugh when I hear it.

#12re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 2:00pm

i just listened to it again to get a good laugh. i have always thought it was a guy...but you may be right ..it very well could be Elaine. she is a HOOT isn't she?!

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#13re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 2:02pm

The OBC of Fiddler has a real sour note. As I recall it's during Tradition, I've always thought it was Bea Arthur.
ooooh! the Act I finale of Sunday in the park.... You can hear Mandy say "light" he sort of swallows it and then in volume says Light Updated On: 3/5/06 at 02:02 PM

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#14re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 2:04pm

At the beginning of Disc Two of the Tommy OCR, Marcia Mitzman bottoms out on the "It's A Boy" reprise.

"It's a boy, Mrs. Walker, it's a booooooouuuuuuurrrrrgggh."

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

shermanslave Profile Photo
shermanslave
#15re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 2:09pm

I have seen that DVD. It is also featured in Elaine Stritch at Liberty.

Please visit Bitchy Waiter

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#16re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 2:21pm

Where is the 'sour note' durign tradition?

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

touchmeinthemorning
#17re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 2:24pm

Bernadette's last note of "Unexpected Song" -- she has spent concert after concert proving she has a much less shrill last note.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

N0tThatGirl213 Profile Photo
N0tThatGirl213
#18re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 2:26pm

Guys and Dolls revival, I've Never Been in Love has a really awful harmony toward the end.

"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#19re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 2:35pm

"i just listened to it again to get a good laugh. i have always thought it was a guy...but you may be right ..it very well could be Elaine. she is a HOOT isn't she?!"

Oh, it is most definitely Elaine Stritch.
That note is actually one of my favorite parts of the album.
It's just so funny.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#20re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 2:59pm

One of my favorites is Stanley Prager as Prez losing his voice on "A year's supply of gasoline" in "7 1/2 Cents" on the OBC of The Pajama Game.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#21re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 3:06pm

Not a vocal flub, but does anyone else hear a pop in the beginning of the movie out tonight?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#22re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 3:07pm

Reid Shelton comes in early on "I Don't Need Anything But You" on the OBC of ANNIE.

lvpblues
#23re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 3:10pm

One of my favorites is Channing's premature 'Er' during the Ermengarde section of "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" on the OBC of Dolly.

And I could swear Dean Jones' big finish of "Being Alive" is "Being A Lie"

I also like it when I hear a cough or the rustle of sheet music being turned.

Updated On: 3/5/06 at 03:10 PM

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#24re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 3:12pm

In "the Secret Garden" obc, when Westernberg sang "She has her eyes", Patinkin sang a "she" by accident.

Borthers me always. What was the recording engineer doing?

Videos