Newsies on Broadway

#0Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/29/04 at 8:53pm

Does anyone know if the movie musical "Newsies" has been considered or in the making as a Broadway musical? Can anyone else see this as a musical on Broadway?

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#1re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/29/04 at 9:06pm

hmm i think we talked about it and said it would require too many child actors...though i dont necesarily agree with that since many times they have adults playing children. IDK. i think it would make for a great show but i havent heard anything.

TheAudrey3 Profile Photo
TheAudrey3
#2re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/29/04 at 9:07pm

If they bring Christian Bale on for the OBC, I support it as ANYTHING.

"It does what a musical's supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue."

tmz814 Profile Photo
tmz814
#3re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/29/04 at 9:27pm

I have the NEWSIES dvd (was very obsessed with this movie when i was younger) and I can remember them mentioning this on the commentary. I think they said they were interested or looking to do it sometime. I don't remember exactly, but I know it's mentioned on the commentary. I personally would love to see this onstage.

We've all got our junk and my junk is you!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/29/04 at 9:31pm

Bale is grown up now. He is Batman in the new movie.

I don't see this on stage.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#5re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/29/04 at 10:34pm

I think it could work. It has some great numbers in it. And if Kristin Chenoweth (no offense, just an example) played a college person in WICKED, I don't see the problem with 18-26 playing young - mid teens.

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

shesings
#6re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/29/04 at 10:38pm

I actually would love if they did this. I know some people were saying it'd be too hard to get so many kids, but they do Annie. And you could probably get away with getting a bunch of 18-20 year olds who just look young. There are enough people who want to be actors out there that I know you could find some. Maybe even the cast could be half and half (kids, 18+). I think it would be so much fun. Though it would be sad that Christian would be too old. He's such an essential part of the greatness of the movie!
Hey does anyone remember the character "Specs" in the movie? He wears glasses and a derby hat and is one of Christians friends? He's like a featured character? Anyway I met him a few years ago and he totally had a crush on me. He kept asking me out. It's a stupid story really but it's like my newsies tie! I was pretty excited. I told him no though. Maybe if he had been Christian....... (who by the way i saw on the subway and god is he hot!)

Princess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
#7re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:06pm

With the exception of Les, pretty much all the other Newsie boys can be played by adult actors who look around 17...it shouldn;t be that hard. Newsies was my FAVORITE movie for years, and seeing it on Broadway would be a dream =) Long Live the Pelvic Thrust!!!

Jon
#8re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:12pm

I believe Disney is preparing a "junior" version that may ONLY be produced by jr, and senior high school or performing arts camps, etc. NO professional productions, and no productions utilizing adults.

They are also preparing Junior versions of Alladin and Tarzan (and perhaps a few others). Again these are only for kids (teens) to perform.

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!! Profile Photo
SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#9re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:58pm

i think its a great idea. But using kids would be a bad idea, they shouldn't use girls either, I think young men are just fine. It would be a great musical i'm surprised they havn't done it yet. it'd be a great idea for disney to get back on broadway after Aidea leaves.

BroadwayStage05
#10re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:04am

JUST FYI MY DRAMA TEACHER WANTED TO DO NEWSIES THIS YEAR INSTEAD OF FIDDLER... DAMM EVEN THO I LOVE FIDDLER HOWEVER SHE TALKED TO MTI(MUSICAL THEATER INTERNATIONAL) AND THE RIGHTS AND PRIVLAGES ARE COMING OUT IN 2007 SOO IM SURE COMMUNITY THEATER AND HIGH SCHOOLS WILL BE PERFORMING IT FOR A LITTLE WHILE BUT BY 2009 IT WILL SURE BE UP FOR BEST CHOREOGREPHER AND MUSICAL!!!!!! HOPEFULLY!!!!!!!!!

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#11re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:03am

I beleive there are plans to release it as a Jr. version...only allowed to be performed by minors or something like that.

A theatre company I work for was in talks to be the premiere, professional (and non-junior) production of this in the world. Talks fell through with Disney who were asking for too much money and insisting we pay for a director of theirs to come in and take over. A shame because i would have played David and gotten to sing Seize the Day...damn

Akiva

shesings
#12re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:54pm

the jr version would probably work really well in places like St. Louis, where there are sooo many all-boys high schools, but I think it would be difficult to do at a co-ed school. I guess they could make some of the girls boys as well, but I just think it would be harder to get away with.

etoile
#13re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:58pm

Is betting permitted on this site? I want to start a pool on when this question is posed again. I predict September 8, 2004 between the hours of 8PM and midnight. Anyone else?

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#14re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:07pm

Let's see..today is Monday...I'll bet Thursday, 8:37 pm.

PEACE.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#15re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:23pm

I miss having really talented kids in a big musical. I saw a SPECTACULAR Cameron Mackintosh production of "Oliver!" that blew my socks off - and it was done with a phenomenal cast of young boys. (They even found an amazing boy soprano to be Oliver, a part sometimes given to a girl.)

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

JohnnyTlover216
#16re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 9/3/04 at 2:25pm

Newsies was playing in a theatre years ago on like off-off-broadway, and- I guess it never made it to broadway, but I think they were trying to get it to that point. I think it would make an incredable broadway show, and like some have you been saying, whats so bad about having kids on broadway? Plus you could have young adults acting like 17 year olds.

Ruv and hate, they like to brothers, who go on a date

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#17re: Newsies on Broadway
Posted: 9/3/04 at 2:40pm

About the age thing......in the movie a lot of those boys were not "boys." They were over 17. If they can pull it off well in the movie, they can do it on stage. BRING IT TO BROADWAY!!!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Videos