pixeltracker

Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?

Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#0Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 2:21am

I'm trying to figure out how I can afford to get there, STAY there, and see a few shows this summer. I know regular rooms can be like $300/night, which is ridiculous. Any suggestions on cheaper places to stay?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie

BwayTheatre11
dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#2re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 2:26am

Wow. I feel very stupid now.

That was easy...Thanks.

I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#3re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 2:30am

Depending on where you are coming from, you could stay in a Hostel.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

pab Profile Photo
pab
#4re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 2:33am

There is also a pretty good guest house you can stay at for around $100 a night.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

ghostlight2
#5re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 3:18am

Love to hear which one, pab, I've got folk coming into town. Care to share (or PM) specifics?

BwayLeadman
#6re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 3:27am

Try and stay in another borough.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#7re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 3:30am

ghostlight2 check you PM.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#8re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 3:48am

I always recommend radio city apts. cheap ( esp in the summer!) they are converted apts so have kitchenettes w some equipment so u can also save $ on meals. Th batchlors can sleep 2 ( twin beds/double) its clean they just upgraded the elevators.and the location can't be more central.

JBSinger
#9re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:12am

You could also stay at the YMCA. I used to be a member of the one by Lincoln Center and it was swarming with international guests. There is another nice one on the East Side (called Vanderbilt) by the UN. They have a shuttle to take you across town. Go to the YMCA website. It seems very reasonable for how close it is to everything.
You'll want the West Side Y or Vanderbilt Y.
Good luck!

OasisBroadway
#10re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 9:52am

I HIGHLY recommend Hotel 31. It is not in Times Square but close enough and easy to get to. I was always averse to staying in a hotel that only has shared baths until I stayed here. The rooms are exceptionally clean (much cleaner than many other NYC hotels) and the shared baths are as well. Each floor has 4 bathrooms which I never had to wait for. This place is well worth the $100 a night. I am not sure I will stay anywhere else in the future.

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#11re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 9:56am

When I used to stay in hotels in NYC I would ALWAYS stay at the Milford Plaza. That's the one connected to the Majestic (home of Phantom). It's about $100 a night. One hint- do NOT use cheaptickets.com to help you get a night there, use like Orbitz or Hotels.com or something...oi...

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#12re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 10:07am

Portland Square on West 47th around the corner from the Palace isn't bad at all. You can go for a shared or private bathroom and the rates aren't bad...and I hate to spend much on a hotel because I'm just using it as a place to shower-and-sleep.

It's no frills and there's no place in the hotel to get food...but I wouldn't have a problem staying there again.

Only thing I dislike is a late check-in time.

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#13re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 10:08am

I know of a B&B in Westchester that is ridiculously cheap if anyone is interested.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#14re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 10:28am

Where is Westchester? I'm interested.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

pab Profile Photo
pab
#15re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 12:56pm

About 30 miles outside of Manhattan.

#16re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 1:23pm

One of my personal favorites - On the Ave (Upper West Side). Our friends always stay there when they come to visit. It's not dirt cheap, but you get a lot for your money (at least by NYC standards). It's immaculately clean and stylish in a W sort of way. The rooms are small, but well-appointed. It's conveniently located near the subway as well as some NY institutions like Zabar's and Fairway (great brunch place upstairs). Our friends have paid $135-$165 per night depending on the time of year.

Nothatsmrt Profile Photo
Nothatsmrt
#17re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 1:25pm

There was a great article in the NY Times recently about inexpensive (relatively, this is NYC after all) hotels, many of which are geared towards a younger clientele. Here's the link:

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/travel/11nyhotels.html?ex=1135400400&en=f9d6f68bdad152e2&ei=5070

RentBoy86
#18re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 2:09pm

I wish the Milford was $100 a night. That's where i stayed w/ my school when we went. its around $178.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#19re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 3:11pm

Yeah, I remember years ago when they first started their "Lullaby of Broadway" ad. They used to advertise a $79 per night rate. Not no more! It hasn't been $100 for quite some time.

#20re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 4:23pm

Before I moved to NYC, I always stayed at The Skyline Hotel.
It's on 50th and 10th Avenue, so just on the fringe of Times Square. The rates were always around $100. so these days, I imagine they're not more than $150.
Small rooms, but clean and convenient!!

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#21re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 4:31pm

Parts of Queens, such as Long Island City, are just one train stop out of Manhattan. Check around there to save some $$.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#22re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 4:33pm

Also, I have found that it can be very helpful to LOOK and BOOK EARLY. If you can, try to start researching 6 months or more before your trip. Generally, the closer to your stay that you book, the more trouble you'll have finding good rates.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

rebels Profile Photo
rebels
#23re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 4:35pm

I got deal for under $200 a night at the Comfort Inn Midtown (129 W 46th St) last month...It was a spacious-enough room & also got a bearable free breakfast in the morning. It was right in the heart of everything!

And, if you or your travel companions are over 50, they knock off another 10% off the bill...

Jersey Boys Blog: www.jerseyboysblog.com

pab Profile Photo
pab
#24re: Cheapest places to stay in/near NYC?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 4:50pm

rebels, I was at that same hotel last month for just over $200. It all depends on when you book I guess.

Videos