Sunset Blvd. "Scandal"?

Nathan_Lane_Rules!
#0Sunset Blvd. "Scandal"?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 2:51pm

Hi! I have read and heard from many a source that their was some dispute involving Patti Lupone who played the role of Norma in London that ended with Glenn Close landing the role in NY.

What Happend?
I'm confused

#1re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:05pm

I had heard that Andrew Lloyd Webber didn't like Lupone's performance. I'll bet she was fantastic, though.

Gothampc
#2re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:11pm

Take a gander at this.
Sunset Boulevard

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#3re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:18pm

alls you gotta do is listen to Patti on the original "Sunset" CD and then compare that to the mess Glenn made of the role on the Bway version to know that Norma was, is, and always will be Patti's role.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#4re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:28pm

Patti was brilliant, but the critics werent very kind. I also prefer Anderson's Joe.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#5re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:34pm

there were a lot of problems with the original production that got blamed on patti. they re-did the production for glenn in LA. ALW figured glenny was more of a sure thing $$ wise than patti and dumped her. patti got a nice settlement out of it.

Mind is Mantra.

DirtyRottenGirl Profile Photo
DirtyRottenGirl
#6re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:34pm

It's hard to say because I love Patty in that part but there was also a thread on here a while back that was all about Close. Also, like someone said she didn't get the best revues.

Becky2 Profile Photo
Becky2
#7re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:38pm

I heard that they thought people would respond more to an actual movie star. Something about the public already viewing them in the role...

Gothampc
#8re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:41pm

I can't remember the exact quote, but one of Glenn's reviews said something like "she misses two out of every eight notes she sings".

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

#9re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:26am

Glenn Close was brilliant as Norma Desmond. She was heartbreaking in the role and brought a vunerability to Norma that I heard Lupone sorely lacked. I saw her four times and though her voice is not a powerful one I never heard her miss a note. She is one of our finest actresses and I hope she finally gets to preserve her magnificent performance on the big screen.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#10re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:34am

Wasn't it in Patti's contract she would play it on Broadway? And ALW broke the contract? Not to mention the rumors of how Patti found out she wouldn't be playing it on Broadway - not very nice.

I could hardly blame Patti for being upset over that. It seems like a mess. LuPone deserved what she got from that settlement.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#11re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:43am

Glenn wasn't awful. She won a TONY and she got good reviews. Not like that means a lot, I don't agree with critics too often.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 9:54am

Glenn was up against one, count 'em, one other actress for that Tony.

I honestly think that for the film, if they want it to be good, they need to start from scratch. That means, entire new cast, especially the leads. I think Barbra would be perfect for the role.

When people say that they would love to have Glenn's or any other actor's/actress's performance "preserved" on film, what they're not getting is that a film is something completely different than the show they saw on Broadway. It has a new screenplay, there will of course be an added song so that Webber can be eligible for Original Song. Songs will be cut. And not to mention, a film is a film, and a show is a show. If you want to see Glenn's performance "preserved", go over to Lincoln Center and watch the video of her performance on Broadway.

There have been 6+ actresses who have played Norma. Start fresh for the film. Give it to Barbra. If the film is done right, it could be lovely.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/21/06 at 09:54 AM

#13re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:33am

Barbara would be hideous as Norma Desmond. She can only play a variation of her own persona.

Ms. Close is a great stage actress and a great screen actress. She would obviously have the innate sense to adapt her performance for a movie audience. As Rex Harrison did in MY FAIR LADY. Thank goodness we have that performance to treasure on film. I feel Glenn Close also deserves that honor.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#14re: Glenn LA production
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:35am

I have both versions of the Sunset records. Although Patti has a nice voice and sings it well Glenn's voice brings more character to the role in my opinon. Having seen Glenn's performance in the LA production I would say she is the best candidate for the movie version. She was incredible on stage.
I never saw Patti perform the role, but if she sounded on stage anything like the recording then I don't understand how anyone can say she was better at the role. She sounded bored on the World Permier Recording.
Updated On: 1/21/06 at 11:35 AM

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#15re: Glenn LA production
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:38am

By the way, how DID Patti find out she was not doing the Broadway transfer?

Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:00pm

Just so you know, I side with Patti and the London production.

But...check these out...

NY Times Review of London Production with LuPone & Anderson:

http://theater2.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?res=9F0CEEDF1731F937A25754C0A965958260

NY Times Review of Broadway Production with Close & Campbell:

http://theater2.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?res=9C0CE1DD1031F93BA25752C1A962958260

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
Updated On: 1/21/06 at 12:00 PM

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#17re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 1:32pm

I prefer Close to Lupone, she just puts more emotion into the role
I've read that Paramount pressured ALW to cancel Lupone's contract, and that after resisting for a while, he gave into his major backer. He wouldn't want to spurn Lupone; they had worked together in Evita and Cats prior to Sunset. And he obviously liked her alot if he originally picked her for the role. I think he just saw in LA that close fit the role better that Lupone did.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

Donnie Darko
#18re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 1:32pm

For starters, Sunset Blvd is a pretty bad musical. I saw Patti, Glenn and Betty Buckley play Norma. Here is how they rank:

1. Betty Buckley - She was the best. She was the only one out of the three who actually made an effort at giving Norma a soul.

2. Glenn Close - Tried to hard to be Gloria Swanson. Way over the top at times and her voice is more suited for Sondheim than Webbers go for the throat ballads.

3. Patti Lupone - Played Norma like a Maria Delveccio from Brooklyn. Could barely understand a word she said and her Norma had no class.

Musical-Forums.net!! Come on over!!!
Updated On: 1/21/06 at 01:32 PM

SporkGoddess
#19re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 2:10pm

I feel like I'm the only one in the world who can't stand Patti LuPone.

I don't like Close's Norma though, either.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#20re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 9:21pm

Saw Sunset 9 times - it's one of my all time favorites

never saw Patti, but did get an opportunity to see a video of her performance (both Sydmonton workshop and a preview performance). For once I agree with the critics. She was totally out of her league and mis-cast in the role. Did not have the stage presence (as she clumped up and down the staircase). Good voice, but not enough to make her believable

Close was mesmerizing to watch onstage. Truly knew how to hold an audience and transcend whatever was missing vocally. True, her recording leaves something to be desired, but live onstage, whether she was against one actress or 40, she deserved her Tony award

Karen Mason, Close's understudy was truly amazing. What a voice, really enjoyed her performance.

Betty Buckley, though is my hands down favorite. Vocally, acting wise, she had it all together and gave Sunset something it needed - true vulnerability that made you feel sympathy for Norma and made it all work

Elaine Paige - short and sweet - she sucked.

Petula Clark - surprisingly, very moving and effective in the role. Not the best, but far beyond "average"...

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#21re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:39pm

Patti LuPone, You WERE Norma Desmond, and you got the pool to prove it too.
Too bad you all never got Faye Dunaway in the role, Sounds like she would have been your favorite.

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

#22re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 10:44pm

Saw a promo this evening for CSI. Dunaway is the Guest Star. It's airing Thursday. She looks great. I wish she'd return to Broadway. A friend of mine saw her play Callas in the national tour of MASTER CLASS. Said she was fabulous.

Wanna Be A Foster
#23re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/23/06 at 3:17am

MOMMIE DEAREST: THE MUSICAL, anyone? re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?

-Kad

#24re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/23/06 at 10:37am

How about Donna Murphy as Miss Crawford?

Videos