Wicked 8/11/04

JC14
#0Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 10:44am

Before I say what I'm about to say, I feel some background is necessary to support all of my opinions. I am a self-professed Wicked fan. Probably not as fanatic as others, but I know the show inside and out and I have set images in my mind as to what works and what doesn't work. Am I the slightest bit elitist because I'm a music theatre whore and had the pleasure of seeing the original cast intact? Absolutely. As an actor, do I expect certain things? Absolutely. Does the fact that I've seen the show twice before and sat in the front half of the orchestra taint my view of the show? You betcha. That being said, I'll start with what I considered the weakest link and work my way up.

I found Joey McIntyre's portrayal to be altogether boyish, not cohesive, and weak. He made poor choices, consistently wobbled from side to side, couldn't hold himself onstage, seemed confused, and appeared to be completely disconnected from the material. Granted, the man has had approximately 3 weeks in the role and a 2 week rehearsal period I won't completely hold it against him. The Bostonian accent has got to go. He's in the mythical land of Oz and starring on Broadway, there's no reason that he should talk with that thick and noticable of an accent. The singing only served to amplify this. His vowels were flat; not open, not rounded in the least. He kind of whispered his phrases and half sang, kind of like he was whining. The boyband dance moves didn't do it for me either. During "As Long As You're Mine" I had a really hard time believing the alleged attraction between him and Idina. There was just nothing there. It was as if Idina was the leader and dominant person in the relationship. He needs to make stronger choices. Everything just kind of came off as half assed and nonchalant. I didn't for a second believe he was a self-assured, and egotistical prince. It just didn't work. I don't see the need to put a popstar in a Broadway show that is doing just fine without one. There are many more capable Broadway actors who are much more capable and qualified than he is. Perhaps he just needs more time to grow in the role, but that can only be a viable excuse for so long.

George Hearn was fine as the Wizard. I'm not sure how I feel about the added in verses in "Wonderful." They were fine, just didn't see the need to add things for him. I liked his acting, his singing was fine - he's just not really a song and dance man in the true sense of the word, I suppose. That role is just so poorly constructed. He did what he could with it...acting good, singing good but just kind of blah overall. He didn't leave much of an impression on me but that role never really has. Perhaps I'll need to see Sean McCourt in the role...

On the whole, I really enjoyed JLT's portrayal of Glinda. She gives a very strong and regal performance. Beautiful voice...not quite as unified as Kristin's. She's more like "this is my soprano, this is my belt," but it works, and she delivers the songs beautifully and really strives to make the character her own and breathe fresh air into the role. She looks stunning in the costumes as well. Where I felt she had the most trouble was the first act. To me, she just didn't have a full grasp on how she wanted to play Galinda. She was stiff. Not altogether ditzy, not altogether paying attention. Now, I feel that because the show is so heavily weighted upon the Glinda/Elphaba relationship a lot of what Idina and Kristin portray did not come across between JLT and Idina. BUT SHE'S NEW. She's still testing things out and seeing which of her choices work and which do not. It was difficult to watch "Popular" because there were so many line readings she gave prior to the song which strayed away from how, for lack of a better term, "air-head" Kristin played the role. She bounced around during "Popular," leaps intact, and it just seemed like it completely strayed from the character she had built from the beginning to that point. Her second act was much stronger and much more cohesive. She handled the serious material incredibly well. She lost a lot of the "ditz" voice in the second act which I think worked well for her. Bottom line, I liked her singing, I liked her acting, I just didn't feel fully invested in the Glinda/Elphaba relationship and that's probably due to the fact that Idina and JLT are still developing and manipulating their characters around one another.

I saw the show last night from the rear of the orchestra. It was a much, much different show than it was sitting front orchestra and perhaps that made me feel less connected with the piece. I just didn't fully invest myself in the relatinships because they're still tepid and are not fully intertwined. Because I'm familiar with the show, I think it may have detracted from the experience as well. I found myself anxiously waiting for certain parts and dreading others. The pacing was off and the flaws of the show just kind of popped out because I wasn't invested in all of the characters and the relationships. The second act dragged towards the end.

Bottom line, I'm still a fan and I completely realize that the actors need time to gel. I have tickets for the end of December so I think it'll be interesting to see how these three actors' choices change. JLT will be fab once she gets the character fully realized in her own mind. I'm looking forward to her growth. I'm sure there's more stuff I want to say, so I'll post more if it comes to me...but my mind's exhausted for now.

OhSoWicked
#1re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 10:55am

This is depressing...

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#2re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 11:02am

Very nicely written review. You make some excellent points.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

wally
#3re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 11:31am

They added verses to Wonderful? This is the first I've heard of it. I have tickets for Oct, looking forward to seeing the new cast.

And I loved Sean as the Wizard!

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#4re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 11:39am

I saw it Tuesday night and I thought it was absolutely wonderful. I can understand your issues with Joey, but for the most part I thought he did well. As for JLT, I loved her rendition of Galinda. Her Popular scene was probably her best in the entire show---during that one scene the audience was with her, and they loved it. She seems to be having a great time. And the relationship between Idina and Jen was very believable from where I was sitting...

JC14
#5re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 11:43am

LittleFish, interesting to hear you say that because that was where I had the most trouble with Jenn's portrayal. It was EXACTLY everything that Kristin did and for me, was completely untrue to the character she had built from the beginning. I kinda felt like she surrendered to Kristin's choices there because she couldn't feel her own way through it. But to each his/her own.

I also wanted to add that I really feel like Idina is now the real PILLAR of the show. She carries the weight of the show on her own shoulders and it's clear that she's the star.

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#6re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 11:45am

Can you expand a little about the added verses in "Wonderful"?

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

JC14
#7re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 11:45am

Wally, about "Wonderful," I don't remember the exact wording but they added two lines before "a man's called a traitor or liberator..." something about the truth and there was an added verse at the end which included harmony between Idina and George. It was something to the effect of her going to be considered "wonderful."

Aaron27 Profile Photo
Aaron27
#8re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 11:47am

I'm debating about seeing it for the third time in September when I go down again. I'd love to see George Hearn in the role of the Wizard...I'd love to see him in everything. But I totally agree that the role of the Wizard is so underdeveloped and is kind of a crap part. I'd love to see JLT's rendition of Ga/linda. However, Joey Mac...um no. I live in Boston and was ecstatic that Tick Tick Boom was coming and was dying to see Christian Campbell...what a hottie...instead what I got was a totally uninspired/unenergetic performance by Joey MacIntyre. Stop getting "name" people for the sake of bringing in crowds. It's upsetting

JC14
#9re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 11:56am

Also wanted to add about JLT's performance...she delivers her songs beautifully and nails every single note. The only thing she didn't hit that Kristin does was that note during "No One Mourns the Wicked" that Kristin sang up during the second verse of "they die AAAAAlone." Otherwise everything was flawless.

insomniak
#10re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 12:01pm

Thanks for the details about the new actors. Do you think they will get better? About how long does it take for a replacement to get comfortable in a role?

#11re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 12:02pm

Since she's the main character, I believe she should be the star. But I haven't seen JLT yet, but if she does it just like Kristin, then what's the difference?

Yet again, pop boy wants to sing like a pop boy. Let him have his fun.

JC14
#12re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 12:09pm

Insomniak, it could take any amount of time till the replacements gel with the company and finally find the characters for themselves. That's up to them. I see JLT getting much better, I can't say I have that hope for Joey Mac.

C_O, the point I was trying to make was that if JLT wants to play the character the way Kristin did then she certainly can. The problem is that her choices weren't unified. One minute she was campy the next she was more subdued and not ditzy and the character is essentially completely ditzy and shallow during the majority of the first act. It's up to her...not gonna complain either way as long as the choices are consistent :) Updated On: 8/12/04 at 12:09 PM

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#13re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 12:19pm

You have every right to be hard on this production. I hate to say it kids but I was really dissapointed when I went. Joey is terrible!! I never thought I could be that bored with a performer!!! George Hearn is awful and while I agree that Fiyero and the Wizard are painfully underdeveloped I would ask you to go see Sean McCourt as the Wizard adn either one of Norbert's understudy's play the part. I saw Kristoffer Cosack, sorry about the spelling, and he was awesome and really gave life to the part and was by far the best fiyero i saw. so yay go understudies. JLT does a fine job i think though

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

#14re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 12:28pm

Ohh, I'm going next Thursday to see it again. I'm really disappointed that Joey McIntyre is not good in the role and was disappointed to hear that George Hearn doesn't really do any dancing in "Wonderful" since that was the best thing going for the song itself. I think you would have been very satisfied with Sean McCourt's performance as the Wizard. He just fit into the role.

The thing that really made this show so great was a great original ensemble. If it did not have that, I don't think it'd be as acclaimed. I'm a little annoyed that they sort of miscast the Wizard and that they couldn't have gotten a more experienced actor for Fiyero. Were they thinking people would be drawn because of Joey Mac? It's so frustrating.

Kelliexo90 Profile Photo
Kelliexo90
#15re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 12:30pm

Personally, why in the world would anyone go see a show for Joey Macintyre? He isn't even famous any more. If that was stunt casting, it was a pretty sucky job. Whenever I tell my friends that Joey Macintyre is in it, their first reactions are always "Ew, why? Wasn't he a New Kid On The Block?" He doesn't have anymore box office draw than an unknown actor who would have been better in the part.

What is Broadway? A street? Some say it's a street. Some say it is the best street in the world. Others think its terrible. That's the beauty of it, it's terribly beautiful. Some hate it and don't know why. Others love it and don't know why. That's what makes it so wonderful, it's a mystery.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#16re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 12:49pm

maybe some of the performers that day were just having an off day.

ponine24601
#17re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 12:59pm

great review! thanks so much!

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#18re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 1:31pm

Wonderful review
Sean McCourt was amazing when I saw him, and was by far a highlight of the show.
While Fiyero might not be the best part for Joey Mac, he now is a professional actor (Movies, TV, and Stage). It might be "stunt casting" but wasn't casting Joel Grey as the Wizard also "stunt casting" in the same sense.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Marib_215 Profile Photo
Marib_215
#19re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 1:58pm

i cant wait to see wicked... I will hopefully get to see it Saturday, Sept. 18th....

#20re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 2:25pm

I don't think you can put a comparison between Joey McIntyre and Joel Grey? Joel Grey is extremely established in theater and has decades' worth of experience.

#21re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 2:25pm

Whoops. Updated On: 8/12/04 at 02:25 PM

Jussoc Profile Photo
Jussoc
#22re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 5:11pm

re: Wicked 8/11/04

I love Wicked! WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,
WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,
WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,WICKED,
and I also love Idina Menzel.
Ah...Idina...

Day by Day

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#23re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 6:01pm

I had no problem with Joey at all. As far as JLT... think she is very good. Her "Popular" is excellent, and even had Idina laughing (really laughing !!) when I saw the show a few weeks
ago. I think her weakest moment (SPOILER TO FOLLOW) comes when she "busts" the Wizard and MM. When she asks MM how she would feel in captivity, and then imitates her "I hope you prove me wrong....." KC was very funny during that scene. JLT needs to work on it..

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#24re: Wicked 8/11/04
Posted: 8/12/04 at 9:30pm

I cannot compare J-La to Kristin, except for vocals. I saw the show on the 7/28 Matinee. I thought that J-La was more consistent vocally than Kristin. I cannot compare the acting choices though. I've only seen the show once.

I completely agree with the criticisms on Joey McIntyre's singing style. It was very pop. Then again, Fiyero's songs are somewhat pop.