AHS: Cult

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#25AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/17/17 at 2:30am

Just had a chance to finally watch episode 2. I quite like it and don't get what the problem is for some.

I keep thinking of Alison Pill as Medium Alison. She's changing her major to horror.

Oh, segne deine Herzen

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#26AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/17/17 at 12:27pm

The not-particularly-necessary remake of "It" seems like a cash grab after the success of American Horror Story: Freak Show.

What? The new It had been in development since 2009. Started picking up traction in 2012. And what success of Freak Show? It performed worse than the season prior. What is "necessary"? Because honestly It was not expected to do as well as it did. Up until a few days before opening it was penned to bring in around $50M opening weekend.

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#27AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/17/17 at 4:04pm

Oh, I get it. Put up your dukes! Put up your dukes! Marquess of Queensbury Rules because this is important.

Oh, segne deine Herzen

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/20/17 at 6:12pm

This season. lol

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#29AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/21/17 at 2:43am

This certainly is one of the gayest seasons to be sure not only with the characters but the casting. I think this one is better than the last one but I don't know if I can sit through an entire season of a woman being tortured by clowns. I think the Trump Presidency bringing out the devil in people is the best aspect thus far.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#30AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/21/17 at 3:08pm

Am I the only one who feels they'd like this season a whole lot better if the tone of direction and design was looser and loonier?  More John Waters'ish?

Updated On: 9/21/17 at 03:08 PM

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#31AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/21/17 at 3:21pm

henrikegerman said: "Am I the only one who feels they'd like this season a whole lot better if the tone of direction and design was looser and loonier? More John Waters'ish?"

Exactly. It's leaning in that direction, but never takes it far enough to hit the mark. So much potential with Mary Cherry, Eichner et al.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Jordan Catalano
#32AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/21/17 at 3:21pm

Hat would mean Murphy would have to take the pretentious stick out of his ass, which he has no ability to do. He's also have to accept that he doesn't know how to write anything scary and just go full camp. 

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#33AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/21/17 at 4:37pm

The first three episodes held my interest and were appropriately creepy. I think I have a different understanding of the word "pretentious." I find Ryan Murphy's stuff shiny but low-brow, except for the OJ thing which was great because he didn't write. It mostly seems to specifically lack pretense.

Oh, segne deine Herzen

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#34AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/22/17 at 2:25am

To me this season is a mix of Stephen King and watered down Hitchcock.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#35AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/22/17 at 8:34am

SmoothLover said: "To me this season is a mix of Stephen King and watered down Hitchcock."

Stephen King? Maybe a bad parody of Stephen King. I don't see any Hitchcock in this at all.

The best thing about this show is Beverly Hope.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#36AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/22/17 at 9:25am

Just watched the most recent episode and I'm in utter shock. The truck, the birds, the webcam video, the blue hair. This show sucks. I'm still going to watch it, though. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#37AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/22/17 at 9:14pm

The number of birds/yard size ratio seemed off.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#38AAHS: Cult
Posted: 9/23/17 at 3:55pm

This thread should be titled We Hate Ryan Murphy and We're Going to Find Fault in Whatever He Does. I mean really... "The number of birds/yard size ratio seemed off." Really? AHS Cult is scary, satirical, topical and relevant, with some outstanding performances. It's as good if not better than any critically acclaimed horror movie out there (including the over-hyped and overrated IT) and one of the best AHS seasons to date.

Updated On: 9/23/17 at 03:55 PM

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#39AAHS: Cult
Posted: 10/12/17 at 1:02am

I think as unsettling as the premise and context of "Cult" is, it's still being done very very well, a lot of great acting, plenty of and I do mean "plenty" of shockers and scares....

I haven't had time to watch Tuesday's show yet, but it was edited because it starts with a mass shooting and out of respect for the Las Vegas shootings, the broadcast version was heavily edited. You can watch the unedited version On Demand, or DVR or FXNOW, etc....

I still can't believe the shocks from the last two episodes and having just watched the "edited" opening I'm stunned again.

But yes, it's going to be a Love/Hate Ryan Murphy edition of AHS. But I'm definitely intrigued, startled and yeah, scared....you probably know why if you've seen it....

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#40AAHS: Cult
Posted: 10/12/17 at 3:24pm

"The number of birds/yard size ratio seemed off." 

That was a joke. I just thought it was pretty hilarious they had like 40 dead birds in their front yard.

IMHO AHS has never been remotely scary. Campy and over the top? Yes. Scary? No

I think the show is a mess. But there's no denying it's an entertaining mess this season. I think this is the first time since season 1 I've made it past episode 3.

Updated On: 10/12/17 at 03:24 PM

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#41AAHS: Cult
Posted: 10/12/17 at 3:33pm

American Horror Story: Writers Room

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Jordan Catalano
#42AAHS: Cult
Posted: 10/13/17 at 10:01am

Ryan: Guys I have this great idea for a scene!

Guys: Amazing! How will we follow it up?

Ryan: Follow what up? 

Guys: The scene you just described. 

Ryan: What do you mean follow it up?

Guys: You know, build on what happens next after that. 

Ryan: I'm confused. What do you mean?

Guys: *sigh* Nevermind. 

Phantom4ever
#43AAHS: Cult
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:22pm

My brother used to wrap me up tightly in a blanket and then sit on me so the coffin scene a couple episodes ago was terrifying and brought me right back to that feeling of being trapped. I like this season because it is scary---the idea of a group of clowns nonchalantly walking into your house and then killing you ritualistically is scary and insane--and yes I grew up three doors down from the Serial Killing Clown himself, John Wayne Gacy, so again this show hits home for me. The season is also unpredictable. I keep saying "oh well obviously this will happen next" and instead the show goes in a different direction and I cannot believe what I am watching--in a good way. I appreciate how the underlying emotion in the show is anxiety, fear, and rage over Trump's presidency. I feel that anxiety, fear, and rage and it is cathartic to watch it play out on a horror show. 

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#44AAHS: Cult
Posted: 11/3/17 at 1:05pm

LOVE IT!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Jordan Catalano
#45AAHS: Cult
Posted: 11/3/17 at 5:42pm

The ineptitude of this season gets stronger and more ridiculous every week.

Videos