News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four- Page 45

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#1100The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/12/08 at 8:04pm

OT - but you're confusing me with someone else because I have never been caught making any comments about CHICAGO much less calling it the cradle of anything.

I am not suggesting that Piven and Moss aren't going to do well - in fact Piven seems to be successfully playing a similar role in ENTOURAGE, and I am already a fan of Moss based on her multi-layered performances in MAD MEN. But the Broadway debut issue is so much more complex when it is a 2/3rds of the cast of three than some significant proportion of a larger cast as was the case in COMPANY.

And one more time and I'll stop - this isn't about Raul. For me it is really about Mamet. No one hopes more than I do that this is a success for all three actors (and the producers, God love them).

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1101The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/12/08 at 8:28pm

Really? 'Cause the search feature generally doesn't lie:

The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four - keen on kean Aug 26, 04:34 PM
So Jeremy and Raul both got started in Chicago - the new cradle of civilization.... [more]

(I meant Chicago the city, not the musical.)

How is suggesting that actors making their Broadway debuts aren't good enough to handle the material "not suggesting [they] aren't going to do well"? So it's two thirds of a cast making their Broadway debuts as opposed to handful in a fourteen person musical company. Unintended. But really, if you're implying that performers who have never done Broadway before shouldn't be trusted with the work of a master like Mamet (which I'm sure you'll tell me you're not)... well, what's Sondheim? Chopped liver? Why should it be okay for Company but not for Speed-the-Plow? If it's truly about the proportion, then I see your point, but I still have to disagree. Just because this is the Broadway debut for both of them doesn't mean they can't handle it. I just think it's kind of an insult -- you're basically saying that if it's a handful of people in a bigger show, it's okay, because they can ride on other people's backs and hide behind those who will carry their inadequate performances. But in a smaller show where they're more exposed and can't hide behind an ensemble, it's a problem because having not done Broadway before, they aren't good enough for it.

What I don't understand about your argument is that... you seem to be saying if they've never done Broadway before, they aren't good enough for it. But how would they ever be ready, by that logic? It's like you're saying that if you've never been on Broadway, you obviously can't do it. Everyone who's ever been on Broadway was once at a point where they hadn't been. So how is it remotely logical to insinuate that just because they have never been on Broadway, they shouldn't be in this show? How would we ever get new blood if actors yet who hadn't done Broadway were dismissed because of that fact? Celebrity aside here, I think that's an incredibly narrow viewpoint. These are two well-regarded actors with pretty strong followings. Not having done Broadway before changes the type of experience they have. It doesn't mean they aren't experienced enough.

I have a lot of optimism about this one. Mamet isn't even my personal cup of tea, but I think it's going to be great. Mamet founded the Atlantic, and Neil Pepe is the artistic director, so I trust the play is in good hands there, and I'm confident in the cast. I don't say that a lot about television and film actors. But this casting seems like it was done with the right ideas in mind.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 9/12/08 at 08:28 PM

Q
#1102The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/12/08 at 8:32pm

Quick fly-by *hug* for Em (this is DG, in case you don't know yet The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four)

luvtheEmcee
#1103The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/12/08 at 8:38pm

Hi! No, it seems I've missed a memo. I'll PM you.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#1104The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/13/08 at 12:50am

I think it's kind of ridiculous to suggest that an award-winning actor with stage experience isn't good enough for Speed-the-Plow when Madonna was in the original Broadway cast.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#1105The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/15/08 at 11:50am

Broadway.tv feature of the press gang-bang at the first day of rehearsals of STP.

"I like the language, I like the kick-ass nature of Mamet’s writing….getting to do something where you get to throw your balls up against the wall….I like that."

LOL Raul!!

Speed-The-Plow starts rehearsals

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.
Updated On: 9/15/08 at 11:50 AM

bestinshow2 Profile Photo
bestinshow2
#1106The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/15/08 at 12:10pm

I'm not sure if we've seen all of these Meet & Greet pics yet:

http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?ref=speed%20the%20plow%20090908&version=int

I especially like this one, lol.

The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

"My name's Lenny. What's yours?"

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#1107The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/15/08 at 12:53pm

Speed-the-Plow marquee is up at the theatre - looks great.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1108The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/15/08 at 3:06pm

My good friend in NYC is excited as Raul is supposed to be one of the guests/speakers at one of their yearly concierge awards ceremonies.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 9/15/08 at 03:06 PM

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#1109The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/15/08 at 7:26pm

He's got a little Robin Williams thing going on in that photo.

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...

luvtheEmcee
#1110The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/15/08 at 8:20pm

Haha, someone looks like he needs caffeine.

Yay for the marquee. I'm never in that area anymore lately. I happened to be a couple of times last week, so I popped by to see if it was up, but it wasn't yet.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#1112The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/16/08 at 8:39pm

Holy toledo! Raúl is opening (sort of) for Barbra Streisand!
Hollywood buzzing over Obama fundraiser

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#1113The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/16/08 at 11:50pm

That's exciting!!

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

luvtheEmcee
#1115The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/17/08 at 12:39am

Can anyone see the eaten posts?

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#1116The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/17/08 at 12:46am

no....?

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#1117The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/17/08 at 11:02am

Apparently Raúl sang "America The Beautiful" at the Obama fundraiser in Beverly Hills last night.
Barbra Streisand sings support for Obama

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#1118The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/17/08 at 3:22pm

Aw, I want to hear that.

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#1119The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/17/08 at 6:50pm

Additional note - Raul didn't just sing "America The Beautiful", apparently he sang it acapella.

Do you know how hard that is??

*dies*

luvtheEmcee
#1120The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/17/08 at 7:06pm

Whoa, I want to hear him sing acapella.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#1121The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/17/08 at 10:57pm

And at the Westport Theatre benefit Monday night, Raúl sang "Guido's Song" from "Nine".

bestinshow2
#1122The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/18/08 at 6:45am

Acapella as in a group of singers each singing parts? Or just him solo unaccompanied?

luvtheEmcee
#1123The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/18/08 at 8:12am

It's without instrumental accompaniment.

bestinshow2
#1124The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/18/08 at 8:32am

If only one of them Hollywood A-listers was into recording shows. Can you imagine, let's call Dustin Hoffman, he may have the master :)

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#1125The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/18/08 at 11:41am

Acapella as in him solo unaccompanied. Just Raul, a bare stage, a microphone, and a spotlight. And then...his voice. The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

luvtheEmcee
#1126The Raúl E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 9/18/08 at 9:02pm

The marquee is so completely epic, you guys. I didn't have my camera on me today, but I will try to take and post some pictures next time I'm in the area, which will probably be in a few days.

Videos