pixeltracker

FX's "FEUD: Bette and Joan" starring JESSICA LANGE and SUSAN SARANDON (March 5th @ 10PM)- Page 7

FX's "FEUD: Bette and Joan" starring JESSICA LANGE and SUSAN SARANDON (March 5th @ 10PM)

Mark-Alexis
#150 FEUD
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:55am

This episode, directed by Helen Hunt, is the best of the series thus far.

Lange and Sarandon are volcanic and heartbreaking. I cried.

Mark-Alexis
#151 FEUD
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:30am

Wow. BOTH Lange and Sarandon were on point tonight. This is certainly the best episode of the series thus far. Helen Hunt needs to win an Emmy for directing this. But again, WOW. Lange and Sarandon were truly DIVINE together.

It is necessary to shower Sarandon with all the praise she deserves here because she really upped her game and was utterly exquisite to watch opposite the elemental Lange. It was like watching two storms colliding and at one point, merging. I cried.

And Lange. My God. Lange. This performance by Jessica Lange truly knows no bounds.

Sexy, tragic, pathetic, incisive, mercurial, heartbreaking, luminous, funny, effervescent, kaleidoscopic..

A towering achievement for Ms. Lange. And for Joan Crawford or better yet, Lucille Lesueur, who at long last has been redeemed.

She may have been a broken, tragic figure, but she had real heart and love to give. Lange's display of Joan's many iridescent facets is shattering.

It will also garner her the Emmy this September.

carnzee
#152 FEUD
Posted: 4/17/17 at 4:46pm

Straight Jacket is my favorite camp film, so I loved seeing the recreation with Lange!  

I think Feud will be the definitive pop culture statement on Joan Crawford. She has become one of the most complex and layered characters in our age of  Peak TV. Lange is giving a master class. 

I do have to agree with others that Bette is somehow getting lost in the shuffle. It's odd, because Murphy met Bette, but this is The Joan Crawford show. 

When Joan lay screaming on the floor as the song "Hush... hush Sweet Charlotte " swelled in the background.... Unforgettable. 

The tragic moments are landing, but the bitchy, campy comic moments/insults aren't landing as well. 

I am loving Zeta Jones as DeHaviland. She somehow brings a touch of menace beneath the serene surface. She also invokes that old Hollywood hauteur that few can today. 

Oh Lord.  When the writers had Bette say " back in the day... " Just NO.  That is a contemporary phrase that people didn't use at that time. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#153 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 12:42am

I agree that the Davis character has taken a back seat to the Crawford interpretation. Not a criticism just noticeable.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#154 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 5:32am

Just binged all the episodes of this over the weekend, and wow, what a powerful show. It is so good it is hard to believe Ryan Murphy is involved, since it seemingly is staying on the rails the whole time. Lange is crushing it, though. I never would have thought I was getting this into Joan Crawford as a tragic figure.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#155 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 8:23am

Sarandon ended up giving a lukewarm Bette Davis imitation, while Jessica Lange illuminated the soul not only of Joan Crawford but also of every woman who ever worked in Hollywood.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#156 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 10:05am

PalJoey said: " 

Sarandon ended up giving a lukewarm Bette Davis imitation, while Jessica Lange illuminated the soul not only of Joan Crawford but also of every woman who ever worked in Hollywood.

Which in PalJoey speak translates to: I can't stand anyone who didn't support Hilary Clinton and didn't agree with me in this last election, especially that b!tch Susan Sarandon, so I'm just going to hate everything she does from now, regardless if it's good or not.

Lange iluminated the soul?!?!? Bwahahahaha!!! What have YOU been smoking dude. It was a very good performance but puh-lease.

Mark-Alexis
#157 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 10:32am

Lange not only illuminates the soul, she coax it to ascend.

carnzee
#158 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 12:01pm

CarlosAlberto said: "PalJoey said: " 

Which in PalJoey speak translates to: I can't stand anyone who didn't support Hilary Clinton and didn't agree with me in this last election, especially that b!tch Susan Sarandon, so I'm just going to hate everything she does from now, regardless if it's good or not.

Lange iluminated the soul?!?!? Bwahahahaha!!! What have YOU been smoking dude. It was a very good performance but puh-lease.

I know PalJoey has an axe to grind, but I don't and I happen to agree with him. Sarandon has had some brilliant moments, don't get me wrong, but she isn't in the same league as Lange. Part of it is that the writers seem to be much more interested in Joan Crawford, making the series somewhat unbalanced. 

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#159 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 12:28pm

CarlosAlberto said: "PalJoey said: " 

"

I won't lie, I am really intrigued by the show, as someone who is fascinated by classic films, but will not watch it after Sarandon went on the late night shows talking about her skewed view of the last 100 days. Nope. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#160 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 1:51pm

I'm also loving Mamacita!!!

carnzee
#161 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 3:24pm

haterobics said: "I'm also loving Mamacita!!!

me too. People complain about Jackie Hoffman mugging too much, but she is extremely subtle in this part. it's really an anti - Jackie Hoffman performance. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#162 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 5:59pm

I'm certainly still enjoying it, but it is unbalanced to a distracting degree to Crawford. Of course Lange is great, but I think Sarandon is every bit her equal- she just isn't getting the quality or amount of material. Catherine Zeta-Jones also continues to give the most bizarre performance currently on television. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#163 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 7:46pm

I think Sarandon is giving a stellar performance. Both Lange and Sarandon are giving a master class in acting. Kudos to both. And to Ryan Murphy, as well!

carnzee
#164 FEUD
Posted: 4/18/17 at 8:14pm

The Hollywood Reporter asked Miss Olivia DeHavilland what she thought about FEUD. Her response :

"I have received your email with its two questions," De Havilland replied. "I would like to reply first to the second of these, which inquires of me the accuracy of a current television series entitled Feud, which concerns Bette Davis and Joan Crawford and their supposed animosity toward each other. Having not seen the show, I cannot make a valid comment about it. However, in principle, I am opposed to any representation of personages who are no longer alive to judge the accuracy of any incident depicted as involving themselves."

Added De Havilland, "As to the 1963 Oscar ceremony, which took place over half a century ago, I regret to say that I have no memory of it whatsoever and therefore cannot vouch for its accuracy."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/emmys-olivia-de-havilland-bette-davis-joan-crawford-feud-994699?utm_source=twitter

Gorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
#165 FEUD
Posted: 4/19/17 at 6:27am

That's fascinating. I can weirdly hear CZJ as Olivia reading that entire statement... Thank you for sharing it. I respect Olivia de Havilland and admire her work, but her reasoning for opposing the series is a little weak. Didn't she meet Bette Davis starring in a highly fictionalized account of the life of Elizabeth I? 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#166 FEUD
Posted: 4/19/17 at 10:26am

Gorlois said: "That's fascinating. I can weirdly hear CZJ as Olivia reading that entire statement... Thank you for sharing it. I respect Olivia de Havilland and admire her work, but her reasoning for opposing the series is a little weak. Didn't she meet Bette Davis starring in a highly fictionalized account of the life of Elizabeth I? 

"

Gotta love her way of essentially saying "no comment."

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#167 FEUD
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:13am

Next week's episode will be a home-run for Ms. Lange.  When Joan Crawford was asked to make "Trog", she was told she had to wear her own clothes for costumes, and her dressing room would be her car.  She didn't hesitate, because of her constant desire to work.  What a sad ending to an amazing film career.

ChgoTheatreGuy
#168 FEUD
Posted: 4/24/17 at 12:48am

Tonight's final episode sealed the deal for me that Jessica Lange will win EVERY acting award for the next awards cycle.  This episode so well written and incredibly acted that it broke my heart.  I think that Ryan Murphy came up with an amazing idea for this series, I hope that it continues for a very long time!

Mark-Alexis
#169 FEUD
Posted: 4/24/17 at 1:02am

ChgoTheatreGuy said: "Tonight's final episode sealed the deal for me that Jessica Lange will win EVERY acting award for the next awards cycle.  This episode so well written and incredibly acted that it broke my heart.  I think that Ryan Murphy came up with an amazing idea for this series, I hope that it continues for a very long time!

"

Agreed. "Jessica Lange deserves the Emmy!" is trending on twitter.

I'm still a puddle on my living room floor.  Can't.

/dead

ChgoTheatreGuy
#170 FEUD
Posted: 4/24/17 at 1:17am

I just REALLY hope that she returns for the next season of "AMERICAN HORROR STORY", I would love to see her on there again...

Mark-Alexis
#171 FEUD
Posted: 4/24/17 at 4:30am

After tonight’s Feud: Bette and Joan finale on FX, Jessica Lange delivers what is arguably her greatest performance ever. Is the Emmy a certainty?

This will be a short post. There remains a great deal to write about the 2017 Emmy season, but one thing became extraordinarily clear tonight. Feud: Bette and Joan aired its season finale, and say what you will about the overall show, you cannot deny the power of Jessica Lange’s extraordinary performance as Hollywood legend Joan Crawford. My gut tells me that the Television Academy will find the performance near impossible to ignore.

Now, I do remain one of those people who think Lange’s Joan Crawford remains more Lange than Crawford. The comparisons between the two actresses became a distraction in the early episodes, particularly those of us who’d recently seen What Ever Happened To Baby Jane. Sometimes, I couldn’t tell the difference between her Joan Crawford or any of her American Horror Story incarnations. They all sounded the same.

Yet, as the series progressed and moved away from the literal recreations of the film, Lange moved away from imitation. She needed to create the Joan Crawford behind the scenes. Away from cameras. Plus, series creator Ryan Murphy all but 100 percent focused on Crawford toward the end of Feud. Long stretches of time passed before we’d even get a hint of Susan Sarandon’s Bette Davis. It calls to mind milk cartons with “Have you seen this actress?”

You Mean All This Time We Could Have Been Friends?

In the series finale, Lange’s interpretation of Joan Crawford reached an operatic frenzy. Sure, you undoubtedly chuckled at the scenes of Crawford scrubbing the bathroom floor or burning her hand on microwaved dinners. Then came the dentist scene where Crawford eerily described the extraction of molars to give her a more defined line of the face. Then came the cancer scenes. Or the “my grandchildren actually love me” scenes. And the scenes of embarrassment surrounding the Trog experience and the early fandom aftermath. Gut-wrenching embarrassment after gut-wrecking embarrassment culminating in Lange’s final scene for the series – a full-on Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard moment in which she’s haunted by ghosts and memories of the past. Remember the scene in Sunset when Joe Gillis (William Holden) comments on the “waxworks” playing cards? Lange’s final scene touched on moments like that and more.

It’s a cliche to say her performance was heart-breaking, but it was. The entire series comments on those left behind, but eventually, they aren’t just actresses. They’re seniors, the elderly, grandmothers and grandfathers. Those nearly abandoned by children with busier lives or long-standing resentments.

Jessica Lange channeled that all. In my opinion, Feud: Bette and Joan easily evolved into one of her greatest performances to date. Is it the best? Hard to say because it’s been decades since I’ve seen her early 80’s work. But her Joan Crawford towers above anything she’s done in American Horror Story.

The performance reminds us all that, with respect to older actresses, nothing has changed since the era of Crawford and Davis. Lange should be working in both film and TV, rather than TV and the stage. Hollywood hunts for diversity, but diversity of age apparently remains outside of the conversation. Leave it to Ryan Murphy to nearly single-handedly rescue all aging actresses and cast them in his many, many, many television series.

If they’re all delivering performances like Lange, then there won’t be enough Emmys to go around. Sorry Nicole Kidman, Jessica Lange might have this one in the bag.
[url]http://www.awardsdaily.com/2017/04/2...een-emmy-race/[/url]

Gorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
#172 FEUD
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:59am

This series had no business being as good as it was. I can't wait to see Ryan Murphy's upcoming FX shows.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#173 FEUD
Posted: 4/24/17 at 4:08pm

After watching all of the episodes I can safely say that while I liked Susan's performance as Davis, this show belongs to Jessica Lange and her beautiful, humanizing performance as Joan Crawford that will get her the Emmy Award. The series itself was quite wonderful and after watching it, I have high doubts that Ryan's upcoming Feud: Charles and Diana would even come close to how great Bette and Joan was.

Mark-Alexis
#174 FEUD
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:07pm

This montage is everything.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=OxC6FvOQPy0

Videos