pixeltracker

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions- Page 10

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#225Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/18/16 at 12:18pm

It seems the show is far from a final product, but even still, are there any predictions yet about performance nods for people in Shuffle Along?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#226Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/18/16 at 12:19pm

I say Audra and Billy Porter are sure things. Possibly Stokes as well, and MAYBE Brandon Victor Dixon. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#227Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/18/16 at 12:22pm

I wonder if all these Hamilton gents will cancel each other out, particularly in supporting. If Leslie had been deemed supporting he would have taken that for sure. I love Danny Burstein and would love to see him have a shot at finally winning.

I think the two sure bets to win in the musical performance catagories are Cynthia And Renee. The suspense there is to see who else ends getting nominated. Very competitive for those slots!

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 3/18/16 at 12:22 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#228Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/18/16 at 1:12pm

I think they're the favorites in their respective categories, but I don't think Cynthia or Renee are locks to win. Definite nominations though.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

neonlightsxo
#229Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/18/16 at 1:19pm

If Saoirse Ronan is nominated, it would be in featured actress. She's barely in the play.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#230Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/21/16 at 11:04am

Having seen Bright Star this week, I was utterly blown away by Carmen Cusack's performance, more so than several others I have seen from other leading women this season (Hamilton, She Loves Me, Color Purple all included). 

With such stiff competition this season, is there any way Cusack could pull off a nomination, being that her name doesn't have nearly the same recognition as the other heavy hitting women this year? She's the one I'm pulling for!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#231Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/21/16 at 11:35am

I think if there ends up being some sort of tie in the nominating process of any of the acting categories, Lead Actress in a Musical could probably be the most likely to do so.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#232Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/21/16 at 11:51am

I think Lead Actress in a Musical and Featured Actor in a Musical will have ties. 

Erivo is certainly the odds-on favorite for the win in her category. I have a hard time seeing anyone beating her; in a perfect world, she would tie with Benanti who is giving an equally flawless turn but in a comedic piece. 

I don't get the idea that Odom Jr. should have gone for Featured. He is a definite co-lead in HAMILTON and is giving a performance that is competitive enough to win Lead Actor. Plus, Daveed Diggs will likely take Featured for a true supporting performance. I respect the HAMILTON producers for not relying on category fraud like film producers often do at the Oscars.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#233Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/21/16 at 11:57am

Well, the difference between the Tonys and the Oscars is that the Tony Awards set up a committee to determine finitely what category an actor will be in.  Film producers can 'campaign' for actors to be supporting or lead for the Oscars, but ultimately its up to the voting body of the Academy to make that determination. Sometimes, in the case of Kate Winslet in the READER, they put a performance in lead, even though it has been campaigned as supporting, and sometimes they drink the Kool Aid.  Alicia Vikander, this year's supporting actress winner, really should have been placed in lead for that performance. 

Jeffrey Karasarides
#234Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:09pm

I don't get the idea that Odom Jr. should have gone for Featured. He is a definite co-lead in HAMILTON and is giving a performance that is competitive enough to win Lead Actor.

Except I really don't get how Leslie Odom, Jr. could win Lead Actor in a Musical. He is the co-lead in a show that is essentially an ensemble piece, plus he's not even the title character. Sure, Lin's more likely going to be acknowledged in the writing categories, but that doesn't mean voters should vote for Odom, Jr. instead.

I think Lead Actor in a Musical could be one of the awards where Tony voters could feel like spreading the wealth to other shows.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#235Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:13pm

Leslie Odom was nominated in supporting for the Drama Desk Awards last year, so thats why I was a little surprised he was put into the lead category for the Tonys.

aaaaaa15
#236Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:27pm

If Alicia Vikander should have been lead then so should Leslie.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#237Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:18pm

QueenAlice said: "Leslie Odom was nominated in supporting for the Drama Desk Awards last year, so thats why I was a little surprised he was put into the lead category for the Tonys"

Though the Lucille Lortel Awards nominated him in leading. 

Jeffrey Karasarides
#238Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:28pm

Though he still lost to Lin-Manuel Miranda.

pupscotch
#239Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/29/16 at 12:15pm

Anyone have a more final view on nominations for shows like Waitress, American Psycho, and the Father?

Jeffrey Karasarides
#240Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/29/16 at 12:18pm

As of now, I think the nominations for the top two categories will be...

Best Musical:
American Psycho
Hamilton
School of Rock
Waitress

Best Play:
Eclipsed
The Father
The Humans
King Charles III

neonlightsxo
#241Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/29/16 at 3:38pm

They could just nominate three plays for Best Play, eliminating The Father.

"Anyone have a more final view on nominations for shows like Waitress, American Psycho, and the Father?"

The committee will when they meet next month on those.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#242Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/29/16 at 4:45pm

I loved Leslie's performance, but I would be more partial to Lin winning Best Actor. I know that that won't happen as that's not where the buzz is leaning and these things are at least somewhat political (i.e. Lin will already be honored for his writing). Leslie's role just didn't feel like a leading one to me as it has to others, but he was brilliant in everything he did. And as much as I am a Burstein fan and thought he was the best thing about Fiddler, I wouldn't vote for him. I was just kind of underwhelmed. Maybe had he been in a stronger production, things would be different. So that would make me think Leslie and Alex Brightman would be the real contenders. I haven't seen School of Rock, so I can't comment on his chances. I will say that I hope Zachary Levi scores a nomination because I completely fell in love with him in She Loves Me. I thought he was everything you could want in a musical comedy leading man. And then what are Benjamin Walker's chances?

I also wish we could have an Errivo/Benanti tie. We are so lucky this season to have two such meticulously crafted, heartfelt, and perfect performances this season. I don't think either could be any better. It's just a matter of personal taste since their vehicles are night and day. I haven't seen the other major candidates for that category except Philippa Soo, so I can't comment on much else there.

I think Goldsberry is definitely the favorite for her category, and it would be a richly deserved win. I think Krakowski is the only one who could give her a run for her money, but she's not a real threat. Renée has the stronger narrative since Jane's won before. Then we'll probably see Hudson get a nomination with the 4th and 5th slots going to either Brooks, Simard, Carmello, or an American Psycho lady. Do Ripley, Damiano, or Yorke from American Psycho have any chance? I've yet to see it.

I'm very interested to see how featured actor in a musical pans out. There will probably be at least 2 Hamilton men, then there's Christopher Fitzgerald, Gavin Creel, Billy Porter, Brandon Victor Dixon, and probably someone else I'm forgetting.

Updated On: 3/29/16 at 04:45 PM

jbird5
#243Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/29/16 at 6:10pm

^Of the 3, I would go with Helene Yorke. She's hilarious in her role.

Updated On: 3/29/16 at 06:10 PM

woeisme3
#244Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/29/16 at 6:34pm

I think if any category will tie, it's Best Musical. I'm predicting we get Hamilton/Shuffle/Psycho/Waitress/School of Rock.

I think for Waitress, Jessie Mueller, Best Musical, and Best Score nods are inevitable. I'd also throw it in for best book and Chris Fitzgerald.

AP is tougher to predict because it's hard to see how the critics will feel about it, it seems polarizing. I'd say it'll probably get nods for best musical, best actor, and best score for sure, lighting/scenic/costume design nods, and possibly Helene Yorke or Jenn Damiano for featured actress. 

The Father will probably get play and Langella and that's it. I could even see Therese Raquin sneaking in for play over it.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#245Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/29/16 at 6:43pm

And as much as I am a Burstein fan and thought he was the best thing about Fiddler, I wouldn't vote for him. I was just kind of underwhelmed. Maybe had he been in a stronger production, things would be different.

Except you don't speak for the Tony voters, so I think Danny Burstein may have a better shot than you think.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#246Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/29/16 at 7:05pm

Except you don't speak for the Tony voters, so I think Danny Burstein may have a better shot than you think.

Well, yes, that goes without saying for all of us, I thought.

Alex10
#247Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/29/16 at 11:52pm

neonlightsxo said: "They could just nominate three plays for Best Play, eliminating The Father.

"

They could, but I don't know if they will. Reviews for this play were incredible in Europe, and it won the Moliere award. I can't see it winning against The Humans with all the buzz it has, but I think the play sounds good enough to warrant a nomination.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#248Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/16 at 12:31am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Except you don't speak for the Tony voters, so I think Danny Burstein may have a better shot than you think."

This was unusually aggressive/hostile

mandresser
#249Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/16 at 12:50am

I think fiddler has a chance!

Videos