pixeltracker

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 10

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical - News & Discussion Thread

Owen22
#225THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/23/22 at 11:46am

Emma_Pillsbury said: "I agree with you BroadwayGirl107. Very little effort is being made in the creative process these days to adapt these films to the stage and truly make it a thing of its own."

THIS exactly. Say what you want to about "Beetlejuice", it found a way to more efficiently tell that story as a stage musical. It didn't just throw songs at the original screenplay.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#226THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/23/22 at 12:20pm

DivaDiana said: "Wait, what? There was an Aida walkout?"

Yes, I remember hearing about this. it was over the dance music, wasn't it?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#228THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/23/22 at 2:31pm

Okay, so the RUNWAY Magazine offices are on the rooftop, and based on the view, the building is located in Washington Heights?  Is anyone on this creative team even making any effort?!  WTF.

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#229THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/23/22 at 2:33pm

The lack of detail is alarming

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#230THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/23/22 at 3:06pm

That looks cheap and the sign looks like a college production. Yikes. 

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#231THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/23/22 at 6:24pm

As others have indicated, MAJOR changes can only happen after the 5 weeks in Chicago.

At the Saturday, July 23 matinee, the brief cinema scene was moved from upstage off-center to downstage center.

After Emily sings Act 2’s BON VOYAGE, she had been exited the stage alone. Today, her attending male nurse made the dashing exit with her, hand in hand.

I liked the new one-word lyric change that appeared IN YOUR TWENTIES:  how people USE you changed to how people WOO you.

rafarosgon
#232THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 12:19am

RippedMan said: "The lack of detail is alarming"

For example, using a back image of Paris portraying the Eiffel Tour in the background while dancing below the structure of the Eiffel Tower :/ 

SouthernCakes
#233THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 12:41am

Also cherry blossoms a Paris thing?

dickg2
#234THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 1:16am

Parts of the show I really liked but there's some work to do.

First, the sound is off. Vocals should not be "lost in the mix" -- not with today's technology.  This is something  the sound people should have been on top of in rehearsals.

At times I felt that this was a mx of Mean Girls and The Prom with an Elton John score.  The show has some loose ends but they can certainly be tied up.  Music is fine and performances, too, although I am just so tempted to compare it to another Broadway show launched in Chicago that dived in New York despite a Tony award winning lead actress.

That's Paradise Square which had some dynamite music and dance and an 11th hour song to die for but only made 108 Broadway performances when mismanagement and low box office revenue doomed it.  It, too, had some excellent parts as well as "what were they thinking" moments but the bulk of the Chicago feedback was that it was a worthwhile show.

This show is way less heavy than Paradise Square.  It has some warm moments (like The Prom) and some nastiness (like The Prom and Mean Girls).  Will it cut the mustard on Broadway?

Pre-pandemic it would. Broadway attendance is down, another Covid rebound is looking, the Broadway League remains mask-less and The Music Man has a pretty full house, Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster and some pricey tickets.  Some good shows are closing in the next few weeks (i.e., Company and Come From Away) so maybe there's room for this.  Maybe the Elton John score is enough to keep it afloat.

The advertised running time is 2:15 with intermission that was more like 2:30.  My verdict is that this show is worth seeing though it's not likely to be one that I would make a special trip (or spend big bucks) to see a second or third time or beyond.  

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#235THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 1:33am

SouthernCakes said: "Also cherry blossoms a Paris thing?"

Chestnut blossoms would be more iconic. As Yip Harburg wrote:

"April in Paris,
Chestnuts in blossom.."

bk
#236THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 2:04am

BalconyClub said: "As others have indicated, MAJOR changes can only happen after the 5 weeks in Chicago.

At the Saturday, July 23 matinee, the brief cinema scene was moved from upstage off-center to downstage center.

After Emily sings Act 2’s BON VOYAGE, she had been exited the stage alone. Today, her attending male nurse made the dashing exit with her, hand in hand.

I liked the new one-word lyric change that appeared IN YOUR TWENTIES: how people USE you changed to how people WOO you.
"

Are you attending every performance. I don't get it. 

itsahopi
#237THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 4:54am

A lot of people seem hung up on cherry blossoms, and google will show you they exist in Paris, and bloom briefly at the end of March and beginning of April. The question isn’t whether or not they’re a “Paris thing,” but rather, what are they in Paris for? I forget. But if it’s a traditional Paris fashion week, cherry blossoms would not be in bloom during either Paris fashion weeks.

Updated On: 7/24/22 at 04:54 AM

BalconyClub
#238THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 8:59am

The NYC cherry blossoms appear as the Eiffel Tower exits, signaling Andy’s return to New York.

BalconyClub
#239THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 9:16am

bk said: "Are you attending every performance. I don't get it."

Week 1 - four performances

Week 2 - two performances

Week 3 - two performances 

Week 4 - two performances

Week 5 - three performances 

The small edits and tweaks are fascinating on a new show during out-of-town tryouts.

The 2PM Sunday, July 24 matinee has been cancelled due to COVID concerns - “a breakthrough case in the company” reports (BIC) Broadway in Chicago. No announcement yet for the 7:30 PM Sunday night performance, though BIC says all future performances are as scheduled.

Updated On: 7/24/22 at 09:16 AM

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#240THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 12:31pm

I was planning on going back on Tuesday, but there is no Tuesday show, so I might go back on Wednesday.  I love seeing the show several times, as well, to see the changes but I get more excited by song changes (like in Kinky Boots), major cuts (like in the Cher Show), or major blocking changes (like in Tootsie) across the run.   Given many factors, sounds like we likely we won't see the kind of transformation that excites me.  As is, I don't like the show, so they might only get more visit now, and then one towards the end of the run.  I will dutifully read your updates, BalconyClub :).  

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

DivaDiana Profile Photo
DivaDiana
#241THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 6:55pm

Wow. Thanks for this. Jaw. Drop.

"Well I wake up already negative, and I'm wiring up my fuse, so don't nobody bring me - no bad news."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#242THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 7:08pm

BalconyClub said: "SouthernCakes said: "Also cherry blossoms a Paris thing?"

The NYC cherry blossoms appear as the Eiffel Tower exits, signaling Andy’s return to New York.

"

Cherry blossoms don't really say NYC to me either. I think of them as being DC.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#243THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 7:15pm

BalconyClub said: "bk said: "Are you attending every performance. I don't get it."

Week 1 - four performances

Week 2 - two performances

Week 3 - two performances

Week 4 - two performances

Week 5 - three performances

The small edits and tweaks are fascinating on a new show during out-of-town tryouts.

You're seeing this 13x....why and who's paying you to see it that many times as that's co$tly even if you sit in the balcony for $49!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BalconyClub
#244THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 7:56pm

Make that 14. Bought a ticket for Sunday night.

Want to see the Andy Sachs role played by Jessie Hooker-Bailey.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#245THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 9:10pm

Ah, that would have been an exciting change - maybe she'll be on for Andy on Wednesday.  Particularly interested if her vocals explode - last week Taylor sounded very pretty, but never exciting. 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

itsahopi
#246THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 9:21pm

RippedMan said: "BalconyClub said: "SouthernCakes said: "Also cherry blossoms a Paris thing?"

"

"

do you live in NYC and have you ever been to Central Park in April 

bk
#247THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 9:26pm

BalconyClub said: "Make that 14. Bought a ticket for Sunday night.

Want to see the Andy Sachs role played by Jessie Hooker-Bailey.
"

Answer the rest of his question. I just am baffled by this kind of obsession - do you know people involved? 

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#248THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 9:28pm

bk said: "Answer the rest of his question. I just am baffled by this kind of obsession - do you know people involved?"

He clearly enjoys seeing productions multiple times, and is free to do so. Why are you bullying a stranger?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#249THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/24/22 at 9:49pm

itsahopi said: "RippedMan said: "BalconyClub said: "SouthernCakes said: "Also cherry blossoms a Paris thing?"

"

"

do you live in NYC and have you ever been to Central Park in April

"

I lived in NYC for 10 years, biked Central Park daily and still wouldn't consider them iconic NYC trees. 

Videos