pixeltracker

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour - Page 10

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour

Musigamist
#225The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/8/23 at 10:08am

Using a completed tour city name as the code will give you pre-sale access.

sewwwwwww
#226The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/8/23 at 11:42am

I saw this in Baltimore, after growing up on the film. The vocals are stellar and the shift moving "Be A Lion" to the act one finale was worth the trip from New York alone. It's clear there is some work to be done before New York, agreeing that Glinda being introduced at the top of the show is a big mistake. I hope the physical aspect will be beefed up before Broadway, but I cannot WAIT to see this again! This cast is SINGING!

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#227The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/9/23 at 1:02am

Saw this in Pittsburgh this past weekend, and sad to say that this production is going to be absolutely *crucified* by Broadway critics if it moves in its current state. That said, I still had a great time. The show and score are as infectious as ever, and it has truly never been sung better than by this cast.

The good:

Nichelle Lewis is a real find, and her vocals were insane. She needs to grow into the acting a bit more, but I bet she settles in well before it comes to New York.

Melody A. Betts completely brought the house down with both "The Feeling We Once Had" and "No Bad News"...the latter got the biggest reaction of the afternoon, along with "Be A Lion". She is the strongest actor in the company and feels very seasoned as compared to the rest.

Phillip Johnson Richardson is an incredible Tinman, a true triple threat. He was easily my favorite of Dorothy's friends. "What Would I Do If I Could Feel?" was a real showstopper.

Kyle Ramar Freeman is an appropriately flouncy and big-voiced Lion. Some of the Lion's new jokes are very funny.

Alan Mingo Jr. is a sly and well-sung Wiz. He felt a little RuPaul, which was rather appropriate. "Y'all Got It!" was cute and well staged.

The OK:

Deborah Cox has VERY lovely vocal moments but it's clear the team has no interest in (or rather, a palpable fear of) giving her any more than ten lines to speak. It's very odd to watch Addaperle (a lovely Allyson Kaye Daniel in what is now a featured ensemble position) lead both the scene that goes into "He's the Wiz" and the scene that goes into "Believe in Yourself" but not actually sing the songs. The scene that goes into "Believe in Yourself" needs a rewrite to tie the song into the stakes of the moment. And overall, as lovely as Allyson Kaye Daniel is, they need to try to trust Deborah to lead those scenes. Otherwise it just feels weird.

Avery Wilson is an amazing singer and dancer, but some of his scene work really needs improvement. It felt very presentational.

Amber Ruffin's new book is much smarter and a definite improvement in many ways, but it's a little overwritten, and honestly - this cast is full of singers and dancers above actors - some scenes were absolutely painful. And even if they weren't painful, they were all mostly VERY long. She needs to trim the fat so we can get to what works the best faster - the incredible score. the show does not move at a consistent rhythm, and there are odd choices to include old songs that halt the momentum like a dropped anvil (like "Wonder Wonder Why") that were cut initially for a reason. 

The choreography works occasionally (the Emerald City sequence is awesome, as is the choreo in "You Can't Win" and many other character-specific songs), and other times, you're like...what is happening? ("Poppies", "Everybody Rejoice"). Same with the costumes. Some look opulent (the principals all look great) and others cheap (manyensemble looks are very unfinished).

the bad:

The sets are very, very cheap looking. "Built to tour" is one thing, but I just saw the tour of COMPANY, also a lower tier tour, and it looked classy and expensive. This, at times, looks like a high school set from up close. Evilene's tower looks very cheap from both sides, as does the Wiz's stage and throne, and they are among the largest set pieces. the projections are actually the best parts of the design.

So, this needs work. I hope when Wayne Brady comes in to rehearse they take the time to spruce things up a bit. All negative things aside, I really did have fun, and hope to catch it again before it moves to Broadway.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#228The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/9/23 at 7:00pm

FYI, Alan Mingo Jr. will be Brady's standby for Broadway.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

LaVieBoheme Profile Photo
LaVieBoheme
#229The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/9/23 at 8:17pm

ACL2006 said: "FYI, Alan Mingo Jr. will be Brady's standby for Broadway."

I was literally just wondering about this,  thank you! I didn't get a chance to see him on tour but I did want a chance to possibly see him on Broadway. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#230The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/10/23 at 12:16pm

I am looking at getting tickets for the run in LA at the Pantages and there are some cheaper seats on the sides of the orchestra. For previous shows reviews on A View From my Seat mention far stage right or left being cut off.  For this, do they play more towards the front of the stage?   

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#231The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/21/23 at 10:03am

Looking at tickets for this in Chicago and I'm surprised how well it's sold. Most of the out of town tryouts have been pretty easy tickets to get, but this seems to be selling pretty darn well.

Rentaholic2
#232The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/8/23 at 1:44pm

For anyone who has seen this recently, are they still using those horrid AI-generated projections?  I can't stop thinking about it.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#233The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/8/23 at 1:55pm

Surprised at this point there's been no press with Wayne Brady. Is he even rehearsing the role yet?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#234The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/8/23 at 6:20pm

Re Wayne Brady: probably not starting rehearsals until the new year since he joins when it plays LA. No reason for him to be in Chicago in the middle of Winter.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#235The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/9/23 at 1:20pm

I was trying to see it here in Chicago but it is selling out and the resale tickets have been insanely priced. Hope that bodes well for their Broadway run. 

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#236The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/10/23 at 9:08am

The pacing of the show is odd. At times, I felt like I was in one of those awful interstate traffic jams  - where the traffic slows down for no apparent reason. Then just as suddenly speeds up.

Attended a night of the Chicago run, which ends Dec 10.

It’s no surprise that the show is selling well. The 1992(?) three-week run at the Shubert on Monroe hosted capacity audiences, too. The score sells the show.

In the current version, the solid casting of Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion make the script and songs come alive.

The sentinels along the Yellow Brick Road need more confident choreography. The costuming on Brand New Day needs corrected to attire more celebratory.

luvbrdway
#237The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/7/24 at 1:37am

The only thing I knew about this show was it was a “black version of The Wizard of Oz”. Saw it tonight in Tempe, AZ and loved it. There is some serious talent on that stage. Dorothy (she’s only 24????) was amazing. I left with a smile and a search for the songs on Spotify.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#238The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/20/24 at 4:12pm

I haven't been to the Marquis in eons (bites tongue) and cannot wait to see The Wiz (last time I caught it was at La Jolla Playhouse) 

Looks like it is selling incredibly well - and looking for great seats - any recommendations on how far is tooo far back in the Orchestra at the Marquis?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#239The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/20/24 at 9:37pm

Has anyone seen Wayne Brady in the show yet? And is it confirmed that Alan Mingo Jr. is his standby?

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#240The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/20/24 at 11:32pm

ACL2006 said: "Has anyone seen Wayne Brady in the show yet? And is it confirmed that Alan Mingo Jr. is his standby?"

I have! It's a pretty small role, but I thought he was great! He has the natural charisma to sell a wizard/con-man and he sounded great on both his songs! I'd have to look to see what he's listed as, but Alan Mingo Jr. is definitely still in the Playbill. 

As far as the show overall, I think inlovewithjerryherman NAILED it with their takes. The two things I'd add would be, first, to specifically call out the munchkin (although any reference to them being munchkins has been removed), Emerald Citizen, and all three witches' costumes for being AWESOME. Some of my fav costumes I've seen in a while. And second, to talk about how this show is such a riff, belt, and opt-up fest. It just felt like too much and there were def times where I was like "ok, I'd like to hear the melody now." I think that's on the director to guide the actors through where to add in those vocal moments for the best emphasis. 

Updated On: 1/20/24 at 11:32 PM

Tippy2
#241The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/22/24 at 12:49pm

Y'all, I just saw this in San Francisco this past weekend.  I was so excited and wish I could post raves. It's just sort of a mess.  There are certainly a few standouts...Kyle Freeman, Phillip Richardson, Melody Betts and Wayne Brady were all wonderful.  I don't think the rest of this cast could act their way out of a wet paper bag. I've also been reading a lot about how great the choreography was.  It is VERY clear that JaQuel Knight has great vision for film but can't quit capitalize on using the stage. You could see his ideas and if he was able to bring them to fruition it could have turned out wonderfully.  He just doesn't get there.  You could put a cardboard cut out of Nichelle Lewis on stage and get more emotion and stage presence from it than what she's currently giving.  Granted, her voice is good but she has no urgency to get home, no chemistry with her traveling companions and there is no reason to root for her.  Lastly, if I were in OZ and Avery Wilson asked me to take him down from his Scarecrow post I not only would have said no, but I'd have tied it extra tight so nobody would have to go through a journey with him. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#242The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/23/24 at 12:03pm

The other board has a press release from producers announcing a 2nd tour starting February 2025, with Dallas September 9-21, 2025 as the first stop announced & more to come as local Broadway tour stops release their seasons.

So perhaps they are only hoping to play New York through to January 2025?

Rentaholic2
#243The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/23/24 at 12:18pm

Can someone who has seen the show clarify for me - is Adderperle even a named character anymore?  I understand from prior posts that Allyson Kaye Daniel has Adderperle's lines, and Glinda now sings "He's the Wizard."  But on the website, Daniel is just listed as "Ensemble."  Do they even refer to her as Adderperle in the show?  What purpose does her character serve if Glinda is now in the scene and sings the song?

LaVieBoheme
#244The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/23/24 at 12:33pm

inception said: "The other board has a press release from producers announcing a 2nd tour starting February 2025, with Dallas September 9-21, 2025 as the first stop announced & more to come as local Broadway tour stops release their seasons.

So perhaps they are only hoping to play New York through to January 2025?
"

That could be perhaps, it was only ever supposed to be a limited run, but they've never announced a closing date. I've been wondering when that was supposed to be.

Updated On: 1/23/24 at 12:33 PM

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#245The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/27/24 at 9:12pm

Rentaholic2 said: "Can someone who has seen the show clarify for me - is Adderperle even a named character anymore? I understand from prior posts that Allyson Kaye Daniel has Adderperle's lines, and Glinda now sings "He's the Wizard." But on the website, Daniel is just listed as "Ensemble." Do they even refer to her as Adderperle in the show? What purpose does her character serve if Glinda is now in the scene and sings the song?"

She's a named character and she is very much functionally serves the same purpose that she did originally, it's just that when it comes time to sing the song, she basically goes "I don't know how to get you home, but I know who would" and introduces Glinda. She also comes back at the end to tell Dorothy . Functionally, she's just as much Glinda's sister/sidekick as she was before, just with a bit of a reduced vocal role. 

It feels....well, honestly it feels like they could have just cut her role and combined the two characters, but Glinda is a little too "regal" for the jokes Addapearl delivers (or, genuinely, maybe Deborah Cox couldn't handle/didn't want to handle a bunch of dialogue) Daniels, who is in the ensemble the rest of the show and covers Aunt Em/Eviline, is a delight with what she has to do. And Cox does sing the absolute hell out of "he's the wiz." So...c'est la vie?

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#246The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/27/24 at 10:14pm

Introducing Glinda early is one of the show’s biggest mistakes. All to give the song to Cox? An incredibly frustrating production that I wish I can wipe from the memory so it doesn’t taint my impression of the show as a whole. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#247The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/27/24 at 11:10pm

I didn’t hate Glinda singing “He’s the Wiz” but it seemed half baked. We know who Glinda is through other media but she kind of just walked out, sang the song and left. She should have more dialogue in the scene to establish her character. Even by the end of the show with her additional scene in act two Glinda was the most under developed character.

MiserablyWicked1
#248The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/29/24 at 3:46pm

Saw it in SF on Friday.1st act is a little slow at times but really enjoyed. Dorothy is amazing and will be a big star.

Loved the Lion and Wiz, though it is a smaller role.Tin Man has great song in 2nd half. 2nd act is amazing. Worth seeing. don't know how it will do on Broadway but at least a 6 month run.

LaVieBoheme
#249The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/29/24 at 5:51pm

MiserablyWicked1 said: "Saw it in SF on Friday.1st act is a little slow at times but really enjoyed. Dorothy is amazing and will be a big star.

Loved the Lion and Wiz, though it is a smaller role.Tin Man has great song in 2nd half. 2nd act is amazing. Worth seeing. don't know how it will do on Broadway but at least a 6 month run.
"

Well it was only ever supposed to be a limited run anyway. 

Videos