ILLINOISE Reviews

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#225ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/26/24 at 10:59am

Saw the matinee yesterday, not knowing much of the plot and the album, and I was totally blown away.

If there was a dance version of "I could listen them read the phone book" it would be for Ricky Ubeda. He was the main reason I went to see the show, and he did not disappoint. His work is just so beautiful to watch. But there was some great competition in that cast, with so many gorgeous performances in the ensemble, and of Ben Cook and Gabi Diaz. (Didn't realize there was a second SYTYCD winner in the cast!) And special kudos to Tyrone Reese who. based on the reaction at curtain call, was on for the first time, covering the role of Morgan.

We didn't know how much singing there would be, but those voices were glorious. And Shara Nova...wow. No words.

I didn't read the booklet until after the play, since it says it was a continuation of Henry's story, but I mostly got the gist of all the other stories, and Henry's story was certainly worth the wait. 

I was second row mezzanine, and while was great, holy s**t my legs were killing me the seats are so tight - and I was lucky enough to have the seat empty next to me! Definitely something to keep in mind for when we go back for Sunset Blvd, it's been awhile since I was up the mezzanine.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#226ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/26/24 at 12:54pm

I'm sure it'll depend if it wins the Tony Award, but I wonder if they've already considered transferring theaters in September?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#227ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/26/24 at 4:33pm

ACL2006 said: "I'm sure it'll depend if it wins the Tony Award, but I wonder if they've already considered transferring theaters in September?"

I was wondering about that. If ATG/Jujamcyn is just their landlord and don't have and money in the show, it would be nice if it could cleanly move to another theatre.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#228ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/26/24 at 4:45pm

everythingtaboo said: "ACL2006 said: "I'm sure it'll depend if it wins the Tony Award, but I wonder if they've already considered transferring theaters in September?"

I was wondering about that. If ATG/Jujamcyn isjust their landlord and don't have and money in the show, it would be nice if it could cleanly move to another theatre.
"

Their grosses are solid. Especially since they're only doing 7 shows a week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

yyys
#229ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/26/24 at 4:58pm

Shara Nova is touring in September/October.  

bwayobsessed
#230ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/28/24 at 8:53am

Question probably for those who have seen it more than once or were familiar with the album before seeing it: I've been listening thru and The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us! was one of my favorite moments watching the show particularly the "we were in love" moment. That said when watching it in the theater I assumed they were referring to the NY Palisades as it's Henry dancing with Douglas after going to NY. I've since learned the Palisades "North of Savanna" is in Illinois. Does this mean

a) that Douglas went to Illinois with Henry

b) that they are trying to get the NY audience to think it's the NY palisades

or

c) Is it referencing the relationship with Carl in these earlier moments of the song?

d) is it a danceical that I'm not supposed to over analyze the lyrics to? 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#231ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/28/24 at 9:37am

Maybe you can find some insight to the original meaning of the song on lyrics genius.  The meaning might be different in the context of the story they are trying to tell in the stage show.

https://genius.com/Sufjan-stevens-the-predatory-wasp-of-the-palisades-is-out-to-get-us-lyrics

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#232ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/28/24 at 10:42am

I was lucky enough to see Zack Gonder on as Clark.   He is tall and that helped to exaggerate his lines and extensions.  Is he on a rotation or was it just a one shot deal?

Thanks for any info !

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

bwayobsessed
#233ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/28/24 at 2:52pm

inception said: "Maybe you can find some insight to the original meaning of the song on lyrics genius. The meaning might be different in the context of the story they are trying to tell in the stage show.

https://genius.com/Sufjan-stevens-the-predatory-wasp-of-the-palisades-is-out-to-get-us-lyrics
"

Hmm this is sorta making me feel more like he's almost describing Carl to Douglas...

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#234ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/28/24 at 5:32pm

bwayobsessed said: "c) Is it referencingthe relationship with Carl in these earlier moments of the song?

d) is it a danceical that I'm not supposed to over analyze the lyrics to?
"

My vote is for both of these! smiley

While I think your suggestion that he's describing Carl to Douglas makes sense, wouldn't the concept of the show lean more towards him describing Carl to his campfire friends?

bwayobsessed
#235ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/28/24 at 7:56pm

kdogg36 said: "bwayobsessed said: "c) Is it referencingthe relationship with Carl in these earlier moments of the song?

d) is it a danceical that I'm not supposed to over analyze the lyrics to?”

My vote is for both of these!smiley

While I think your suggestion that he's describing Carl to Douglas makes sense, wouldn't the concept of the show lean more towards him describing Carl to his campfire friends?

"

That makes sense. I definitely he’s dancing with Douglas during the we were in love but but maybe they’re not dancing together earlier in the song 

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#236ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:49am

I caught tonight's performance and had significantly different feelings depending on what part I was watching. 

Act 1, I thought was largely filler where they were sticking songs that didn't really service the main story. In the case of The Man of Metropolis, the execution was fun and clever enough, I didn't care. 

On the other hand, John Wayne Gacy Jr. was the low point of the show. I actually like the song on the original Sufjan album, but in the context of the story this show is telling, showing a serial killer in a clown outfit killing a victim felt pretty gross. That's the single worst song on the album to visualize so literally. 

In Act 2, when the show settled into the story it actually wanted to tell, it was profoundly moving. I never 100% understood how consummated or unrequited Henry's feelings for Carl were, but Henry seems almost as confused so it's fine. Showing how Henry, Carl, Shelby, and Douglas felt through dance was more viscerally impactful than exposition could have been. 

Speaking to an earlier question, my lottery ticket was Orchestra Front Left, F13. I couldn't see one of the singers and part of the band. I would not recommend the lottery if you want to prioritize an unobstructed view. 

bwayobsessed
#237ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/30/24 at 9:14am

Jonathan Cohen said: "I caught tonight's performance and had significantly different feelings depending on what part I was watching.

Act 1, I thought was largely filler where they were sticking songs that didn't really service the main story. In the case of The Man of Metropolis, the execution was fun and clever enough, I didn't care.

On the other hand, John Wayne Gacy Jr. was the low point of the show. I actually like the song on the original Sufjan album, but in the context of the story this show is telling, showing a serial killer in a clown outfit killing a victim feltpretty gross. That's the single worst song on the album to visualize so literally.

In Act 2, when the show settled into the story it actually wanted to tell, it was profoundly moving. I never 100% understood how consummated or unrequitedHenry's feelings forCarl were, but Henry seems almost as confused so it's fine. Showing how Henry, Carl, Shelby, and Douglas felt through dance was more viscerally impactful than exposition could have been.

Speaking to an earlier question, my lottery ticket was Orchestra Front Left, F13. I couldn't see one of the singers and part of the band. I would not recommend the lottery if you want to prioritize an unobstructed view.
"

I was sitting in a very similar Tdf seat, the speaker placement is awful

MezzA101
#238ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 5/30/24 at 6:17pm

How Broadway's 'Illinoise' Used Light to Tell Its Story 

https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/illinoise-lighting-designer-brandon-stirling-baker-1236007160

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#239ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/2/24 at 11:08am

PipingHotPiccolo
#240ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/2/24 at 1:21pm

i saw it yesterday and while it has some striking moments, i dont quite get the hubbub. yes the choreography is stunning (and im sure technically incredible, i dont pretend to know of what i speak) but the show cant decide whether it wants to whisper metaphors at us (are any of these characters' names ever actually sung/spoken? henry and carl grew up together and maybe henry liked carl?) or present us with direct storylines tied to specific lyrics (the clown fiasco, sears tower).  I found myself getting comfortable with "each of these random individuals around a campfire are going to tell a story" just as we lurched into this specific tale where all the previous "characters" disappeared?

i can see the genius in much of this dont get me wrong but what works as a curioso off bway doesnt necessarily translate into an enormous theater. I was front row of the rear mezz which is a fine view but without any spoken word, i wish i was closer to see the performers faces.

ricky ubeda managed to cut through all of this and turn his dancing into a full-fledged dramatic performance as good as any other i saw this year, so theres that. and the male vocalist blew me away. the two of them in sync was magic. 

rachelfran
#241ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/3/24 at 9:09am

saw the Saturday matinee - bought my ticket on tdf (tix still avail there) and was in row L center orchestra -- really a perfect seat.  Having lost several people since Oct 2022 could have done w/a trigger warning but otherwise was moved by this show and thought it was beautiful ... The political piece was the low point for me - and I'm normally a very political person so sorry that was so disappointing .. guess it just didn't feel like it fit but I appreciate the show so much anyway. Glad I got to see it.

ardiem
#242ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/3/24 at 9:32am

rachelfran said: "[...] The political piece was the low point for me - and I'm normally a very political person so sorry that was so disappointing .. guess it just didn't feel like it fit but I appreciate the show so much anyway. Glad I got to see it."

I'm glad you mentioned this, because it also felt very out of place for me. I've seen the Bard/Armory/Broadway iterations of it, and every time the audience laughed during that moment, dulling the underlying message it was trying to convey. It was too literal.

ElephantLoveMedley
#243ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/3/24 at 9:39am

This was my favorite musical of the season and I’m rooting for it for Best Musical, but I agree the random political story was easily the weak point (in an otherwise universally strong and powerful show).

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#244ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:05pm

There's apparently a plan in place for this to transfer theaters if it wins the Tony Award.

JSquared2
#245ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:22pm

rachelfran said: "saw the Saturday matinee - bought my ticket on tdf (tix still avail there) and was in row L center orchestra -- really a perfect seat. Having lost several people since Oct 2022 could have done w/a trigger warning but otherwise was moved by this show and thought it was beautiful ... The political piece was the low point for me - and I'm normally a very political person so sorry that was so disappointing .. guess it just didn't feel like it fit but I appreciate the show so much anyway. Glad I got to see it."

You lost me at "trigger warning".  Sigh.

rachelfran
#246ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:27pm

JSquared2 said: "rachelfran said: "saw the Saturday matinee - bought my ticket on tdf (tix still avail there) and was in row L center orchestra -- really a perfect seat. Having lost several people since Oct 2022 could have done w/a trigger warning but otherwise was moved by this show and thought it was beautiful ... The political piece was the low point for me - and I'm normally a very political person so sorry that was so disappointing .. guess it just didn't feel like it fit but I appreciate the show so much anyway. Glad I got to see it."

You lost me at "trigger warning". Sigh.
"

Yeah -- I used to roll my eyes at that expression too but then my husband of 32 years died of cancer and a best friend from high school died of suicide and my perspective changed.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#247ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:46pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "This was my favorite musical of the season and I’m rooting for it for Best Musical, but I agree the random political story was easily the weak point (in an otherwise universally strong and powerful show)."

Might someone be able to put in spoilers what that story is?

ardiem
#248ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/3/24 at 1:02pm

inception said: "ElephantLoveMedley said: "This was my favorite musical of the season and I’m rooting for it for Best Musical, but I agree the random political story was easily the weak point (in an otherwise universally strong and powerful show)."

Might someone be able to put in spoilers what that story is?
"

There's a segment early in the show underscored by They Are Night Zombies!  from the album, and

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

the dancers don raggedy clothing and their movements are halting and jerky, staring blankly into space, evoking zombies. At some point, they collectively swivel around towards the audience, holding placards with the name of a dead historical figure - think Christopher Columbus, Ronald Reagan, George Wallace. The journal bundled with the Playbill notes "Jo Daviess (a historian & horror enthusiast) shared a story about the hold the founding fathers have on the American Imagination (spoiler alert: they are zombies!! they're out to get us!!)", but the signs jut out as an inelegant way to make this point and the audience seemed to laugh at recognizing the names rather than absorbing the broader point it ostensibly was trying to make.

PipingHotPiccolo
#249ILLINOISE Reviews
Posted: 6/3/24 at 1:51pm

ardiem said: "rachelfran said: "[...] 

I'm glad you mentioned this, because it also felt very out of place for me. I've seen the Bard/Armory/Broadway iterations of it, and every time the audience laughed during that moment, dulling the underlying message it was trying to convey. It was too literal.

"

I agree with these criticisms 100%, but at that point in the show, I thought we were giving each of these campfire characters their own story, and i thought it worked well to tell me about this person's experience, so i didnt mind it (and thought the dancer in particular was quite excellent)

Videos