pixeltracker

Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton - Page 11

Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#250Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 1:29pm

Lisa-I didn't mean FORCING him to do it. I mean logically, he should be in it if every OBC cast member will be there. And agreed, Baritone. I'm finding him to be a little ungrateful TBH.

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 01:29 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#251Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 1:32pm

He is never, NEVER going to make the kind of money he made in Hamilton again

That's a silly thing to say. If I were his agent, I would be expecting to get him more, much more in the future.

I would also be eagerly submitting him for TV pilots and whatever feature-films roles I could. This Tony was for the best performance by a male actor this season. There's reason to believe the award could catapult him onto the A list of contemporary African-American actors, across theater, television and film.

MyLife
#252Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 1:47pm

It shouldn't just be about the money. What will it look like years down the line when this is released and Leslie isn't there? I think it's less about whether he's ungrateful or not and more about Leslie (and his agent?) being shortsighted. 

Liza's Headband
#253Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 2:00pm

MyLife said: "It shouldn't just be about the money. What will it look like years down the line when this is released and Leslie isn't there? I think it's less about whether he's ungrateful or not and more about Leslie (and his agent?) being shortsighted. 

"

It will look like a filming of a show without Leslie Odom Jr. I don't really see your point... This kind of thing happens all the time. It's business. 

smidge
#254Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 2:10pm

PalJoey said: " 

He is never, NEVER going to make the kind of money he made in Hamilton again

That's a silly thing to say. If I were his agent, I would be expecting to get him more, much more in the future.

I would also be eagerly submitting him for TV pilots and whatever feature-films roles I could. This Tony was for the best performance by a male actor this season. There's reason to believe the award could catapult him onto the A list of contemporary African-American actors, across theater, television and film.

I don't believe a Tony carries any prestige with casting directors. Steve Kazee, John Lloyd Young, Norbert Leo Butz, Billy Porter haven't really had much success outside of the theater. It all depends on the decisions made and the projects chosen, not an award.

"

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#255Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 2:27pm

To me it just looks like the rest of the cast cares more about the show than Leslie does. Obviously they are all getting paid but it looks ridiculous that he is the only one holding out for more money (or whatever he's holding out for). He won a Tony for his performance and to have another actor portray Burr in the filming would be a shame because he was one of the standouts for me and a lot of other people.

The one person I didn't expect to come back for the filming was Groff and the fact that he moved his tv production schedule so he could make it says a lot.  

neonlightsxo
#256Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 2:32pm

smidge, Norbert is currently on two TV shows, so he's not the best example for your point.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#257Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 2:40pm

I think many of you are putting personal judgements on a business matter.  None of us  know whether his raise was reasonable or not. None of us know if Odom's demands were reasonable  or not.

It comes down to this: HE didn't feel valued, so he did what he felt he needed to do.  I respect that.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 6/23/16 at 02:40 PM

Liza's Headband
#258Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 2:48pm

I was going to say... I don't even want to know how some of you act during contract and offer negotiations for your own employment. It's show business. It's not personal. Many of you need to stop treating it something it's not. 

MyLife
#259Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 2:53pm

Liza's Headband said: "MyLife said: "It will look like a filming of a show without Leslie Odom Jr. I don't really see your point... This kind of thing happens all the time. It's business. "

I respectfully disagree. But it's up to him if he wants to be part of Hamilton's legacy, or erase himself from the narrative, so to speak Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton

aaaaaa15
#260Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 2:54pm

dramamama611 said: "I think many of you areare puttingputting personal judgements on a business matter.  None is know whether his raise was reasonable or not. None of us know if Odom's demands were reasonable  or not.

It comes down to this: HE didn't feel valued, so he did what he felt he needed to do.  I respect that.

"

Exactly. There's no need to place judgment on anyone at this point.

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 02:54 PM

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#261Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 2:57pm

There are people getting incredibly rich off this show and Leslie is ungrateful for demanding to be paid more? When you have two sides fighting, and one is rich and angling to be richer, and one is not and is fighting for income that could make a big difference during down times in an unpredictable industry, I just can't see how so many people come down on the side of the wealthy. I have no idea what the range is that Leslie is asking for, but face it, the money is there to pay it. And he deserves it. Jeffrey Seller and Lin and Lin's dad will still be quite rich if a few (or even many) thousand dollars come out of their pockets and go into Leslie's.

Leslie has had at least two significant TV roles (one of which he gave up to do Hamilton). He has a history in a higher paying industry (TV), he's talented, he's handsome, he's likable. I doubt this will be the highest paid job in his career.

However, there is a great deal of pressure from tenured teachers and the union to not work the extra hours in the building without pay because it sets a precedent that we will work for free. You constantly feel that pull in both directions in education, so I would imagine it is somewhat similar for actors.

I'm in a similar position in my job. Appealing to people's better nature, love of the job, etc. are ways to take advantage of good people and pay them less than they're worth. It's ridiculous to say the other actors care more about the show because they're doing the filming. Anyone who's ever heard Leslie talk about Hamilton knows what a profound and meaningful experience it's been for him. He's spoken from his heart about it in a way that really impresses me. He cares, a lot, but he also cares about fairness and what's right. I hate to see him getting judged so harshly for standing up for himself.

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 02:57 PM

smidge
#262Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 3:11pm

neonlightsxo said: "smidge, Norbert is currently on two TV shows, so he's not the best example for your point.

Thanks Neon for the correction and reminding me about Bloodline. I think our hopes for Leslie participating stems from our selfishness in wanting the original cast intact.  It shouldn't be a slight against Mr. Odom's prospects or negotiations. None of us know the details and should not judge anyone's motives.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#263Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 3:22pm

Doing something for the "love of the art" is the most community theatre answer I've ever read.  This is Odom's career.  This is how he pays his rent and his bills.  This show is the most wildly profitable show in our lifetime.  If he, or any member of the cast, is not being compensated fairly (for their day to day performances OR for the filming), he has a right to withdraw.  The people on the top seem to always be looking for ways to d*ck the people actually making them their money.  And, yes, I understand that the producers are the one who saddle ALL of the financial risk.  But, when a show is THIS successful and the producers are not paying their performers fairly... that's BS.  Leslie doesn't owe the producers, us, himself, his fellow cast, Lin, or ANYONE the right to have his performance filmed and then further profited from if he isn't getting paid fairly for it.

Broadway World's Fireman.
Updated On: 6/23/16 at 03:22 PM

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#264Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 3:26pm

PalJoey said: " That's a silly thing to say. If I were his agent, I would be expecting to get him more, much more in the future."

I'm sure the agents for McLean Stevenson, Shelley Long, and David Caruso thought the same thing.

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 03:26 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#265Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 3:44pm

Since I haven't read anyone's contracts or sat in on any meetings or negotiations, I can't really speak with much authority on this topic. But LOJ isn't exactly a tenderfoot in this business, so I am inclined to side with him on whether SOMETHING was a bit off.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Sunny11
#266Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 3:59pm

My definition of an A list actor across theatre, TV and film would be someone like Bryan Cranson who in the last few years has achieved either nominations or wins in the top industry awards in each sector:  Emmys, Tony and Oscar and a major role in a box office hit movie ( Godzilla). 

There is a difference between that and " just" working regularly. 

"

"

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 03:59 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#267Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 4:03pm

If he's really not doing it that's a real shame. This document will live on for many years, probably centuries or more. I can't believe he'd give up something like that over money.

Margo319
#268Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 4:08pm

"He won a Tony for his performance and to have another actor portray Burr in the filming would be a shame because he was one of the standouts for me and a lot of other people."

I agree, he won the Tony but he won't be in it?  The filming of the Original cast?  That would be terrible.  I have seen three talented men play the role, but no one plays it as beautifully as Mr. Odom. 

neonlightsxo
#269Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 4:13pm

"My definition of an A list actor across theatre, TV and film would be someone like Bryan Cranson who in the last few years has achieved either nominations or wins in the top industry awards in each sector:  Emmys, Tony and Oscar and a major role in a box office hit movie ( Godzilla). "

Am I missing something? Pretty sure nobody here said Leslie is on that level.

Broadway Forever2
#270Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 4:30pm

haha I find it funny how this thread is still going on. Anyway we probably won't see the footage in forever and i believe there is a bootleg if someone really wants to see his performance I guess. I really hope he works it out with the producers and is in the live recording though. it would be a shame if he wasn't in the official recording of the show. 

aaaaaa15
#271Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 4:33pm

Bryan Cranston is also 26 years older than Leslie and didn't really break out until Breaking Bad, which only started 8 years ago. There is of course no guarantee that Leslie will ever get to that point, but he certainly has the talent to back up his chances.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#272Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 4:41pm

Exactly. And this is his moment, and I"m sure we all wish him the best.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#273Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 4:44pm

Leave Leslie Odom, Jr. alone! He can do whatever he wants and there ain't nothing anyone can do about it. 

Sunny11
#274Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 5:38pm

Sorry I was adding to the conversation about norbert leo butz. I messed up the quote function. 

The argument was about Tony winners don't always automatically become a list actors. 

Videos