ANASTASIA Previews

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#250ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 10:23am

Ah! Christy is the best! Babe, I love this show and this cast esepecially and I'm saying with all respect to them, but I will be honest here. But, MY guess is that m this will be gone by late next year or 2019. ANASTASIA isn't well known as SHREK or ALADDIN or FROZEN (which should be on Bway for a long time). The only audience who are really flocking to see it are 90s kids and fans of the 1997 movie (I fall into both). If this was a 100% new show, this wouldn't hold up well. I feel guilty for saying this bc I don't want to hurt any of the cast's feelings and I would love for this to run in a long time, but I'm trying to be realistic here. It's like if they try to put THUMBELINA here. The fairy tale isn't that popular and despite 90s kids and fans seeing it, it would flop bc both the tale and the movie aren't that known. ANASTASIA isn't only wonderful, but it is modern, 90s Disney-like, and of course it has a history...literally. So it at least has an appeal

Updated On: 4/13/17 at 10:23 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#251ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 3:11pm

Well, another movie to stage adaptation has disappointed me this season. While this is leagues better than Amélie and Charlie, it's still far from great. It's not even bad, it's just subpar all around. 

As someone above me just mentioned, Mary Beth Piel, John Bolton, and Caroline O'Connor walk away with this show leaving Christy Altomare and Derek Klena behind them. Altomare and Klena are fine, but rather bland. Ramin Karimloo's character and songs could be completely removed from the show, and the plot would not be impacted. 

I love Aherns and Flaherty, especially Ragtime. Some of the new songs here are quite good, while some just land flat. The songs from the film are the highlights of the score and the evening. The book is, of course, drastically different from the film. I have no problem with them deviating from the film to take a more historical approach, however, I do not think the approach taken is particularly well executed, and the show tends to drag. I found Act 2 to be a lot more enjoyable than Act 1.

The set. I have to ask... was anyone else reminded of the set for Doctor Zhivago? Marble deck that makes it look like the show is set in the corner of a museum or ballroom? Super crisp projections that are quite pretty, but are still cheesy, look like screen savers, and are somewhat distracting? This production was a lot prettier than Doctor Zhivago for sure, but I was still reminded of it.

This was an interesting night for sure. I didn't hate this, but I can't say I would recommend it by any means. This was the last musical of the season I had to see. I don't see this picking up many nominations, but the show doesn't really need them. It has a target audience that it is clearly reaching.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

pnewelljr
#252ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 3:56pm

I just saw this last night. I want to preface this review by saying that I am a huge fan of the original movie (ie I've probably seen it over 50 times, mostly when I was in grade school). I think the music and lyrics of the original movie are beautiful, and I was more than thrilled when this adaptation was announced.

The book of this musical was one of the worst of this season, in my opinion. I was completely bored throughout the entire thing, and all I kept thinking is "I would rather be rewatching the movie right now." The new characters, and the old that were heavily revised, were completely uninteresting.

Gleb is a sorry excuse for a "villain." You can't root for him and you can't root against him, and in the end, we don't care about him, either way, one bit. His scenes end up just being an annoyance we have to deal with.

Anya and Dmitry have been turned into two of the most boring, uninteresting characters of any musical I've seen in recent memory.

Like others in past posts, I couldn't have cared less about Anya until the beginning of Act 1. Moving Journey to the Past to the middle was a huge mistake, it is the moment where we begin to understand and care about Anya, and without it, we spend half the musical not feeling like we know who Anya is or what her motives are. While we have glimpses of the fiery personality of Anya in this adaptation, that part of her personality is all but lost.

Dmitry has also had half of his personality sucked out of him, he now comes across as a straight conman / jerk, as opposed to the flirt he was in the movie. This makes it harder to root for him and Anya together, and when all of a sudden he falls in love with her at the end, it feels much more jarring than in the movie.

The movement of songs only made matters worse, instead of a slow progression of love, indirect flirting at the beginning, spending time together (learn to do it) and then slowly falling in love (learn to do it reprise), their on again off again feelings just feel jumbled and confused. A snippet from the learn to do it reprise was added at the very end (to make us think that they were falling in love as they danced in the previous act?) And then all of a sudden at the end they are head over heals for each other.

I also found the Grandma in this production to be really off-putting. The one in the movie was the perfect balance of heartbroken (and cold from being heartbroken), but still human. The version in this production just came across as cruel, so when she finally opened up to Anya I didn't even like her anymore.

The changes to plot points from the movie did not work, all of sudden when the Grandma and Anya meet she spurts out 1000 different minute details out of nowhere, it felt forced. In the movie, she smells the perfume and a memory slowly comes back, it felt much more genuine. So much of the memories felt forced in this version.

None of the new songs were memorable, maybe short of My Petersburg, which still could have used a rewrite or two. It's funny how when creators revisit their works they often have trouble creating compelling new songs. Alan Menken seems to struggle here too. They reused the same melodies from old songs for quite a few new ones, and that is not a surprise, as none of the new melodies were anything special.

One of the biggest weaknesses of this show though was the staging and direction. I mean every single ballad was the same, walk to the left of the stage sing a verse, walk to the right of the stage sing a verse, walk to the center and sing the final verse with a long note at the end as the lights brighten on you. Applause. I've never seen a show do the exact same thing for every single ballad like this, it was crazy (compare to War Paint if you would like to see this done well).

The sets, well, others have already mentioned, they were completely lazy and cheap. They literally had one physical set for the entire production, even when they were outside in a meadow there are arched openings? Lazy and cheap. The projection thing ranges from somewhat inventive to completely gimmicky. 

Turning Paris Holds the Key into a random number, instead of an introduction to Sophie, felt forced and strange, was definitely disappointed to see the changes made to that character as well (the comedy between her and Vlad was a highlight in the movie for me, and while it had a couple bright spots in this adaptation, was not as appealing as the movie version).

Unfortunately, and despite what I've written you may not realize that it pains me to say this, the only two things I can say positively about this production are that:

1. Christy has a beautiful voice and really nailed every song, so that part was fun

2. Many of the costumes were beautiful

Altogether, my feeling was just that they had made all the characters "sterile," maybe for the sake of making it more "realistic" or "historical." But in the end, we all know that the whole story is a farce, it is now a fairytale, so let it be a fairytale.

Updated On: 4/14/17 at 03:56 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#253ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 5:29pm

How has the stage door been?

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

disneybroadwayfan22
#254ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 5:32pm

quizking101 said: "How has the stage door been?

"

Adding: Does Ramin come out after the afternoon shows 

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#255ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 9:37pm

pnewelljr said: "I just saw this last night. I want to preface this review by saying that I am a huge fan of the original movie (ie I've probably seen it over 50 times, mostly when I was in grade school). I think the music and lyrics of the original movie are beautiful, and I was more than thrilled when this adaption was announced..."

Ditto. I feel like I'm the exact niche the show is meant to cater to - I've been obsessed with that movie since it came out and Dmitry is my #1 leading man - but I was really disappointed with the weaknesses of the show, and especially the befuddling discarding of so much of the material creating Anya & Dmitry's amazing chemistry & arc. I've been holding out hope that they'd tighten it up during previews, but I guess not?

I'm kind of gutted that after waiting for years for them to bring this to stage, it might not last long. According to grosses though, they've had a very strong start so I still hope they get at least a year of performances. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#256ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 1:02am

I saw this tonight.

Having no familiarity with the movie, I have to say that what I saw was the flowery, opulent version of a Russian war epic.

It was nice to look at, sounded pretty, but was ultimately overblown, waaaaayyyy too long (like, by an hour), and somewhat stale.

There isn't really a book to speak of. It's mostly just the few lines between songs. It felt almost sung through, but with little variety. Also, I felt so bad for Ramin Karimloo, whose talent is egregiously wasted here.

2 hours and 40 minutes is waaaaaayy too long for something that you already go in knowing the ending to.

If it picks up any Tony nods, I'm in the camp for John Bolton for Featured Actor, and although Altomare was wonderful, Leading Actress will be tough to crack.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

pnewelljr
#257ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 10:02am

Malka2 said: "Ditto. I feel like I'm the exact niche the show is meant to cater to - I've been obsessed with that movie since it came out and Dmitry is my #1 leading man - but I was really disappointed with the weaknesses of the show, and especially the befuddling discarding of so much of the material creating Anya & Dmitry's amazing chemistry & arc. I've been holding out hope that they'd tighten it up during previews, but I guess not?

I'm kind of gutted that after waiting for years for them to bring this to stage, it might not last long. According to grosses though, they've had a very strong start so I still hope they get at least a year of performances.
"

My sentiments exactly.

My review was written with a heavy heart, because I have waited SO LONG for this adaptation. I couldn't have been more disappointed. The complete dismantling of the chemistry between Anya and Dmitry (and just Dmitry as a character you could really root for) was so frustrating, maybe Don Bluth really was the secret sauce (unsurprisingly) to the movie.

I think there is a good chance that this will last quite a while honestly, based on audience reaction and initial sales. The teen demographic seemed to really love it, based on their responses. I can also see the album selling very well, based on Christy's vocal performance alone. If it draws more young people to the theater, that is a good thing regardless. I'm just a little heartbroken.

Updated On: 4/14/17 at 10:02 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#258ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 11:52am

Unfortunately, this was one of my least favorite shows of the season.

It's so incredibly dull and boring from start to finish.  The performances came across as amateurish at best (save for the pros: Mary Beth Peil, Caroline O'Connor, and John Bolton, who were all fine but have all been much better - with much better material).  Ramin is totally wasted in an underwritten, thankless, and ultimately unnecessary and pointless role.

I didn't like the sets - thought they employed projections super lazily.  And those two panels turn around half the time to reveal....two identical panels? 

The one thing I thought worked were the costumes - they are stunning in their detail.  But this was a chore to sit through, honestly.  It's far too monotonous, lacking any sense of charm or energy.

disneybroadwayfan22
#259ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 11:57am

I'm sorry that a lot of you guys didn't enjoy the show. 

#260ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 9:18pm

Hi everyone! I have a quick question regarding seating for those of you who have seen the show. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!

1. Is there a row where a steeper incline happens in the orchestra for this theater? I am looking at rows H or K side orchestra seats (right by the aisle). It seems like the mezzanine overhang starts at row K so I'm inclined to go with row H, but if there is a steeper incline that happens right before row K, then I would rather go with K. 

2. If I had to pick either the right or left side orchestra (again seats that are right off the aisle), which would you recommend? I'm wondering if there are certain important scenes that happen on either side of the stage, and if you would therefore recommend getting seats on a particular side. 

Thanks so much!!

bwayphreak234
#261ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 9:24pm

^ You will be fine no matter which side you pick as the physical set is pretty much nonexistent and consists primarily of projections. The action mainly plays center stage.

#262ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 9:42pm

Thanks so much for your quick response bwayphreak234! Really appreciate it!

ForB4
#263ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 9:53pm

So I had the chance to see this show yesterday and I have to really disagree with the last few reports. I really, really liked it! Don't have time to do a full review but some highlights:

- Christy Altomare: I really hope she gets a Tony nod, she was amazing as Anya (and what a voice!). Journey To The Past was brilliantly sung.

- John Bolton and Caroline O'Connor: Oh man, these two got some of the biggest audience reactions. They were hilarious!

- The Costumes: What can I say, absolutely gorgeous. I especially loved the Blue dress at the ballet.

- The Score: I was wary with how many songs they were putting but I really enjoyed the score, not dull as some were saying. My favorite new songs were In My Dreams and Stay I Pray You.

The only negative to me (and it's not thaat negative) was Ramin as Gleb. His voice was amazing and I loved his songs but I wish he had more to do.

But anyway, if you can, go see this show! It was a magical experience for me. I said this before but I have a feeling this'll be like Wicked - critically mixed but a hit with the audience (and the audience when I saw it reallly loved it) 

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#264ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 2:15am

I want to preface that I avoided this thread before going to see the show because I wanted to go in fresh with what this production was going to be like. I like many in this thread grew up with the animated film and adored it as it is one of the few non Disney animated movies I loved. That being said, I also went into this knowing it was obviously not going to be the same as the animated movie based on the changes that were apparent in press and interviews. All that being said - I loved it, I loved it so much because it took elements of the animated film and fleshed them out and created a brand new entry in the journey of Anastasia. 

I went Saturday matinee and got standing room - which for those interested - I believe they only sell when it is very close to if not sold out. The standing room positions are on the higher end, so if you're on the shorter end it may not be the best for you. That being said - your view otherwise is fantastic with the overhang blocking the text on the scrim at the very beginning and the name of the club in the second act, but otherwise awesome view. 

A few members of the creative team were around the last few rows of the orchestra and were scribbling away and watching the show very intently, so the show is a work still in progress. That being said, I feel like there's only really minor things that could use some tweaking/cutting/condensing here and there, but I don't see too much major being done in the next week or so before opening. 

Christy Altomare is a star and she captures everything I wanted Anya to be from the animated movie while also making this her Anya. She's spunky and knows how to take care of herself, but also has that longing to feel complete and the vulnerability that made you root for Anya to find herself. The audience ate up Journey To the Past and began applauding before Christy even finished her final note. I am rooting so much for her to get a Tony nomination and I think it's fairly on the likely side she could. Also, that voice - gorgeous. 

Derek Klena was a really wonderful Dmitry and like Christy I felt like he took some elements of the animated film and made it his own. I personally liked that this Dmitry wasn't a cad, but didn't lose any of the charm that I felt like Dmitry always had in the animated film. He and Christy had wonderful chemistry and played the cute bickering banter between them well and I believed their slow progression to more.

John Bolton from the minute I heard he was playing Vlad I knew he would be perfection - and he didn't disappoint. Hilarious, charming, and just a joy to watch as he played up every ounce of it. Similarly, I loved Caroline O'Connor and thought she was an absolute charmer to watch and boy can she sell a number. Definitely would love to see the two of them get nominated for Featured Actor and Actress Tonys.

Mary Beth Peil I feel like has the hardest task in some ways because Angela Lansbury is so vividly ingrained into people's minds as the Dowager Empress from the animated film. That being said, I thought Mary Beth played the role wonderfully - heartbroken, jaded, and angry and for all the right reasons. The recognition scene between Mary Beth and Christy in the second act was beautiful and definitely made many (including myself) tear up. Someone else mentioned it somewhere on this thread, but I too missed the part from the animated film with the locket that opened the music box. 

I adore Ramin and I think for what little Gleb has, Ramin makes the most of it. I never got the weird romantic interest in Anya that some felt Gleb had, in fact I think he just wanted to help her and maybe wanted a friend. One thing that could use some work is fleshing Gleb out a little more, but overall I do think Ramin is making the most of the material. 

I thought the new songs to the score worked very well and I loved the Quartet at the Ballet and the way it played out as the portion of Swan Lake was being performed. Other new additions I loved: In A Crowd of Thousands, In My Dreams, Everything to Win, and My Petersburg. 

I really liked the use of the screens and thought they were very effective in their many uses. Unlike the gawdy use of screen use in the 2009 revival of Guys and Dolls, I think Anastasia made good use of them. 

I really loved the show and felt it took the elements from the film and meshed it with a realistic historical element that made it its own. 

I believe someone asked about stage door after matinee - all of the leading cast excluding Mary Beth Peil came out. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/17/17 at 02:15 AM

nycward
#265ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 2:39am

I haven't seen this show yet but I keep hearing about the animated version that I assume this is based upon. When I think of Anastasia I'm reminded of the 1956 film with Ingrid Bergman, Yul Brynner and Helen Hayes. This came from the play that was produced a few years prior. Is any of the original source material used in the Musical? I also got bummed out when I heard that the woman who claimed to be Anya died and her DNA was tested, was found to be a total fraud. Is the fact that none of this actually ever happened addressed as well? Just curious.

Tiann Nerng Chong
#266ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 7:01am

nycward said: "I haven't seen this show yet but I keep hearing about the animated version that I assume this is based upon. When I think of Anastasia I'm reminded of the 1956 film with Ingrid Bergman, Yul Brynner and Helen Hayes. This came from the play that was produced a few years prior. Is any of the original source material used in the Musical? I also got bummed out when I heard that the woman who claimed to be Anya died and her DNA was tested, was found to be a total fraud. Is the fact that none of this actually ever happened addressed as well? Just curious.

"

No, the fake Anna is not addressed directly in the musical AFAIK. in the Hartford production, the Dowager's last line implies that the legend and mystery of Anastasia will continue on regardless, so I guess that's a slight reference to the tall tale of Anna Anderson (the Anastasia fraud). I'm not sure if that line remains in the Bway production.

ClumsyDude15
#267ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:40pm

It is not mentioned, no. They make mention of a few of the impostors who the Dowager Empress has met  over the course of the show - there's a joke about one being from Cleveland. At the end of the show, the way I read the last scene (which is an inter cut of the Dowager Empress and Gleb addressing the issue) was that the Dowager Empress knew deep down that Anya was Anastasia despite saying Anastasia was a a beautiful mystery. Maybe everyone can read it differently, but that's how I took it. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/17/17 at 12:40 PM

lambchop2
#268ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 1:07pm

nycward said: "I haven't seen this show yet but I keep hearing about the animated version that I assume this is based upon. When I think of Anastasia I'm reminded of the 1956 film with Ingrid Bergman, Yul Brynner and Helen Hayes. This came from the play that was produced a few years prior. Is any of the original source material used in the Musical? I also got bummed out when I heard that the woman who claimed to be Anya died and her DNA was tested, was found to be a total fraud. Is the fact that none of this actually ever happened addressed as well? Just curious."

Whether or not the new musical uses the play as source material is currently the subject of a lawsuit: https://www.forbes.com/sites/marchershberg/2016/12/21/lawsuit-threatens-anastasias-broadway-debut/#3141e6653cfe

Nothing much will happen until later this year, though: https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/20093732/de_Becdelievre_v_McNally_et_al#

ClumsyDude15
#269ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 5:59pm

Someone mentioned somewhere in this thread that the pink dress for Paris Hold the Key to Your Heart was in the show but on Saturday, Anya was wearing a white skirt and blazer combination. I assume this was a very recent change given someone else mentioned the pink dress from the film?

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#270ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 8:48pm

Not sure if this has been posted already, but this Billboard video has the two leads singing 'Once Upon a December', 'My Petersburg' and 'In a Crowd of Thousands':

http://www.billboard.com/video/cast-of-anastasia-performs-for-billboard-on-broadway-series-7760286

Tiann Nerng Chong
#271ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:29pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "Someone mentioned somewhere in this thread that the pink dress for Paris Hold the Key to Your Heart was in the show but on Saturday, Anya was wearing a white skirt and blazer combination. I assume this was a very recent change given someone else mentioned the pink dress from the film?

"

ANASTASIA Previews

Anya makes her Act 2 entrance and finds herself in the wrong show..

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 09:29 PM

bwayphreak234
#272ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:37pm

^ HAHAHA... That IS what the new costume looks like.

ClumsyDude15
#273ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:45pm

^HAHAHA - Exactly! No lie, I literally was like - Why is Anya suddenly Galinda? 

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 09:45 PM

disneybroadwayfan22
#274ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:24pm

Noticed Christy's white costume.

I know I'm seeing this in 2 days, but question:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

It says over here that the ghosts of the Romanovs are seeing during a massacre flashback. Do they mean the nightmare or The Neva Flow Reprise w/ Ramin? Have the ghosts replace the actors?

Videos