#250The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 5/28/24 at 8:12am

2024 Tony Awards: Sizzle of the Season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRIKj5tA1Ho

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#251The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 5/28/24 at 11:00am

My picks: Stereophonic, Illinoise, Appropriate, Merrily We Roll Along, Strong, Groff, Paulson, Moon, Gelb, Skybell, Pidgeon, Neuwirth, Aukin, Friedman

Dreamboy3
#253The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 5/29/24 at 8:51am

TaffyDavenport said: "Broadway Journal: TONY AWARDS TO BAR CO-PRODUCERS FROM STAGE"

oh that is refreshing. The next reform: limit who’s who credits in Playbills for so many producers. Give more space to the performers and creatives. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#254The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 5/29/24 at 9:38am

I’d much rather see the full cast and crew take the stage than those money men who paid for their participation Tony. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MezzA101
#255The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/1/24 at 5:47pm

When the Stage Harnesses the Power of the Movies
Adaptations of films will be a factor at the Tonys this year. Surprisingly the best of these shows are not always the most faithful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/31/movies/the-notebook-the-outsiders-broadway.html?unlocked_article_code=1.wU0.E3lU.NOXjUDOBtoBA&smid=url-share

MezzA101
#256The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/3/24 at 7:42am

50 Glitzy Old Photos From Tony Awards Past | Vogue

https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/vintage-photos-tony-awards

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#257The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/3/24 at 8:37am

No news on who's presenting/performing yet? It's in less than two weeks.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#258The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/3/24 at 8:58am

DramaTeach said: "No news on who's presenting/performing yet? It's in less than two weeks."

Performers are usually announced just a few days before the telecast. 

Oh look, a bibu!

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#259The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/3/24 at 9:01am

EDSOSLO858 said: "DramaTeach said: "No news on who's presenting/performing yet? It's in less than two weeks."

"

Seems silly if they want to drum up any excitement or buzz. They need names and promotion. Obviously we'll all watch no matter what, but a regular audience won't.

JSquared2
#260The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:53pm

DramaTeach said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "DramaTeach said: "No news on who's presenting/performing yet? It's in less than two weeks."

"

Seems silly if they want to drum up any excitement or buzz. They need names and promotion. Obviously we'll all watch no matter what, but a regular audience won't.
"

The regular audience doesn't care and won't be watching no matter who is on.

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#261The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/3/24 at 6:57pm

To my understanding, this year, only the Best Musical Nominees and the Best Revival of a Musical nominees will be performing due to time restrictions with CBS. It’s not necessarily running the same way as previous years where shows can buy time. Stereophonic will therefore not be performing

"In here, life is beautiful"

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#262The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/3/24 at 7:06pm

KitKatBoy24 said: "To my understanding, this year, only the Best Musical Nominees and the Best Revival of a Musical nominees will be performing due to time restrictions with CBS. It’s not necessarily running the same wayas previous years where shows can buy time. Stereophonic will therefore not be performing"

This also hurts Back to the Future and The Wiz, as I thought they were pretty much shoo-ins for Tony performances. 

Oh look, a bibu!

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#263The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/5/24 at 8:57am

I haven't seen a ton of talk about what's going to win the design categories. It doesn't feel like a year where one play/musical sweeps everything, so how do we think those categories are gonna go? 

JBM84
#264The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/5/24 at 9:00am

EDSOSLO858 said: "KitKatBoy24 said: "To my understanding, this year, only the Best Musical Nominees and the Best Revival of a Musical nominees will be performing due to time restrictions with CBS. It’s not necessarily running the same wayas previous years where shows can buy time. Stereophonic will therefore not be performing"

This also hurts Back to the FutureandThe Wiz, as I thought they were pretty much shoo-ins for Tony performances.
"

There goes my dream of Here Lies Love swings in Presidental masks on the Tony Awards...

MadsonMelo
#266The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/10/24 at 10:02am

vfd88 said: "I haven't seen a ton of talk about what's going to win the design categories. It doesn't feel like a year where one play/musical sweeps everything, so how do we think those categories are gonna go?"

Regarding musicals I think ''Cabaret'' takes Scenic and Costumes, ''Hell's Kitchen'' takes Sound, ''Illinoise'' takes Choreo and Orchestrations (or maybe Merrily?) and ''Lightning'' goes to ''Hell's Kitchen''.

MezzA101
#267The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/12/24 at 9:14am

vfd88 said: "I haven't seen a ton of talk about what's going to win the design categories. It doesn't feel like a year where one play/musical sweeps everything, so how do we think those categories are gonna go?"
All in the Details: Tony-Nominated Set Designers on Getting It Right

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/12/theater/stereophonic-set-design-tonys.html?unlocked_article_code=1.zE0.7e26.9nSBTKJxaSnZ

MezzA101
Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#270The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:05pm

SUFFS is winning Best Score,  Best Book coupled with Best Musical!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

SisterGeorge
#271The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/13/24 at 1:01pm

MezzA101 said: "Listen to the Best Tracks From 8 Tony-Nominated Show

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/13/theater/cast-albums-broadway-tony-awards.html?unlocked_article_code=1.zU0.e_03.zqmAgM237LWx
"

I saw and loved HLL (10 years ago) and Wine and Rose off-broadway, and I'm excited to catch up with Stereophonic and Illinoise on my NYC visit starting tomorrow. These "best tracks" though are still not moving me to spend money on W4E, Outsiders, HK, and Suffs. I do have one slot open, though, and realizing that judging them divorced of their scores is hard, can anyone recommend which one might be the most engaging on a dramatic/non-musical level. I'm leaning toward Suffs? (I'm also seeing EOTP, Cats, Ben Platt, and Christine Andreas). 

Sister George
Updated On: 6/13/24 at 01:01 PM

someoneinatree2 Profile Photo
someoneinatree2
#272The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/13/24 at 1:16pm

SisterGeorge said: "MezzA101 said: "Listen to the Best Tracks From 8 Tony-Nominated Show

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/13/theater/cast-albums-broadway-tony-awards.html?unlocked_article_code=1.zU0.e_03.zqmAgM237LWx
"

I saw and loved HLL (10 years ago) and Wine and Rose off-broadway, and I'm excited to catch up withStereophonic and Illinoise on my NYC visit starting tomorrow. These "best tracks" though are still not moving meto spend money onW4E, Outsiders, HK, and Suffs. I do have one slot open, though, and realizingthat judging them divorced of their scores is hard, can anyone recommend which onemight be the most engaging on a dramatic/non-musical level. I'm leaning toward Suffs? (I'm also seeing EOTP, Cats, Ben Platt, and Christine Andreas).

"

If you're able to get a seat up a bit closer, I would actually recommend Water for Elephants -- The best part of the show is Jess Stone's kaleidoscopic approach to the story, and the main actors are doing some strong, grounded work amongst the spectacle of the acrobatics (particular shout outs to Paul Alexander Nolan, Isabelle McCalla, and Gregg Edelman). Seen it a few times now, and it's just gotten richer as the show has settled and steeped.

Ensemble1698878795
#274The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 6/15/24 at 1:28pm

Doubtful. Best book only, most likely. Most industry folks don't love Suffs though it is respected for its attempts. 

Videos