pixeltracker

Catch me if you Can Preview Thread- Page 12

Catch me if you Can Preview Thread

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#275Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/30/11 at 5:54pm

well yes, but, the ladies playing the chorus in Chicago looked bored out of their minds. And it was easy to tell. It was just refreshing to see such an energetic cast. I guess that is the beauty of every new musical because they aren't bored yet.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#276Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/30/11 at 7:20pm

Yes It doesn't matter if the audience is bored as long as the performers are having a good time and have energy on stage.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#277Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/30/11 at 8:07pm

the audience didn't seem bored when I was there. I think there were 45 Kids from Ohio on a class trip who were going nuts with excitement and the rest of the audience as well. Maybe you went on an off night or continue to participate in a thread to voice your opinion in a negative way for the hell of it? 2 of the friends I went with are very critical people and had a great time. They loathed Jersey Boys which I thought was a wonderful theatrical experience. So I trust their valued thoughts. You're allowed to yours, just confused as to why you keep going on and on.

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#278Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/30/11 at 8:15pm

You know, that's a funny point - I've seen a few posts about how bored the audience was, but when I went to see it they totally ate it up.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#279Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/30/11 at 8:17pm

Amneris, a lot of the dissenting opinions are from people who had high expectations for Catch Me if You Can, including me. I know it's by the same people who were responsible for Hairspray, but I also had to remind myself to expect something different. Unfortunately I didn't like it. I'm really interested in seeing what kind of response this show gets from the critics.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#280Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/30/11 at 8:24pm

I won't say I hated it but I did not think it was a good show. I thought the score was bad besides a few catchy numbers (Live in Living Color, Don't Break the Rules, Jet Set).My least favorite part was the female ensemble, who somehow managed to always be tacky and annoying even when an essential part of the plot. Basically not terrible to the extent of some of the shows out now, but 15 minutes after I left I forgot I even saw the show.

ETA: Serious question - why was Norbert dancing like he was disabled? Updated On: 3/30/11 at 08:24 PM

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#281Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 12:12am

Really disappointed. Only a few good songs and not up to scratch. The show just did not work for mum and I we had really high expectations but found lots of the songs to be really boring. Such a shame

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#282Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 1:17am

I'm in the minority on this one. I really loved it.

I'll post a full review with my thoughts tomorrow.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#283Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 1:53am

americanboy99, I really liked it as well, so you're not totally alone. :)

bwayfan7000
#284Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 1:59am

I did, too! You're definitely not the only one who liked it.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#285Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:04am

I liked, but didn't love it. The flaws became much more apparent on a second viewing.

There's a lot to love about it- the cast is outstanding (particularly Tveit), some of the songs are good, and when it works, it's really entertaining. The problem is there are a lot of scenes that just drag on and on.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#286Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 10:14am

Saw the show last night. I got to the theatre at exactly 9 AM and was second in a very small line for student rush tickets. My friend and I took our seats (which were rear mezz- fine but far from great) and immediately seat upgrade contest via text. Five minutes before curtain an usher walked up and said my friend’s name. We were whisked down to the 5th row orchestra. I was right on the aisle, house right. Couldn’t have asked for a better seat.

I’m in the minority on this one (at least on here, not so sure about what the critics will have to say). I absolutely loved it.

Whereas “The Book of Mormon” (which I saw and adored) is the future of Broadway, “Catch Me If You Can” is a return to the classics. It’s fun, classy, charming and engaging. I personally quite liked the TV show concept. It was no doubt an odd choice, but I thought it worked very well and really musicalized the entire story. It allowed for some really fun moments and anchored Aaron even more firmly as the show’s center. Terrence McNally’s book is superb, making great use of the movie’s high points and presenting the story in a way that is, in many ways, hardly distinguishable from the source material. This isn’t a very direct screen to stage transfer. The creative team really worked this out through a theatrical lens. There were some problematic book moments, sure. Brenda’s character suffers a tad from a confused scene early in act one in which it seems the writer couldn’t decide if she is a sassy blonde or a sweet blonde. Minor quibble. I also wasn’t in love with the “stupid Southern cop” shtick that Brandon Wardell had to play throughout. I get what they were going for, but it just wasn’t all that funny.

The score is what it needs to be for this show. It’s a swinging, mellow jazz score with a few interjections of Broadway crowd-pleasers. The lyrics are hilarious and quite fun. I haven’t been able to get “Butter Outta Cream” out of my head since I left the theatre last night. I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s my favorite new score of the year (granted I have not heard the score for “The People in the Picture.”) The two duds “Seven Wonders” and “The Man Inside the Clues” are far outweighed by the highlights. It’s a shame “Seven Wonders” is as “blah” as it is; Shaiman and Wittman can certainly write a better love duet than that. In my opinion, “The Book of Mormon” has the best book, but this one’s got the score.

Jack O’Brien keeps the whole thing moving briskly and with charm to spare. This is a real “concept” show, and he maneuvers it all beautifully. Jerry Mitchell’s choreography is good, though not spectacular. There are about ten big chorus numbers, and they’re all very good. It’s obvious Mitchell was drawing quite a bit of inspiration from period shows/television shows, as were the chorus girls (who my friend described as trashy, but I found them hilarious- in a good way).

The set is very simple and very classy. That orchestra in those white jackets- delicious! Very Sinatra. Very chic. The lighting was gorgeous. Very happy to say no projections are used in this production, and the show is better because of it. Long’s costumes are fabulous. I actually gasped when Rachel de Benedet made her act two entrance for “Don’t Be a Stranger” in that gorgeous blue dress. Just divine. The orchestra sounded fabulous. Definitely my favorite orchestrations of the season thus far.

Aaron and Norbert are terrific. This is Aaron’s star-making role, and he soars. He’s so charming and in perfect voice. I loved Radcliffe in “How to Succeed” but I really have a feeling this is Aaron’s year. It’d be a shame if he doesn’t take home the Tony.

Norbert is just about equally as fabulous. Hilarious. “Don’t Break the Rules” brought down the house. He has a perfect grip on that character and can only get better and better with it as he finds more.

Tom Wopat is wonderful as Frank, Sr. I’d love to see him nominated for featured actor, and, of what I have seen thus far this season, I’d say he’s got a pretty great chance at winning. Rachel de Benedet is fine as Paula, a role that, on both stage and screen, is so terribly unlikable. Linda Hart makes the most of her one scene.

Let me say for the record- Kerry Butler’s part is NOT that small. I had no problems with the placement of her number. In fact, I thought it worked beautifully with Frank telling her to “take the spotlight.” She made the absolute most of it, and “Fly, Fly Away” brought tears to my eyes. The best new song on Broadway this season- no doubt. Though Laura Benanti remains my favorite, I’d have trouble picking between she and Nikki M. James for that featured actress Tony. Benanti will likely be forgotten, so, if the Tonys don’t decide to shaft CMIYC, I think it could boil down to a two-way competition between James and Butler. Not sure how I’d pick with that one.

SPOILER: I do wish they’d remove that moment at the end of the play with Brenda ratting Frank out. Maybe it’s logical, but the audience just listened to her belt about being his “alibi, my baby.”

I’m a little upset by all the negative reception this show has gotten on here. I think it’s a remarkably enjoyable evening of musical theatre. It will play very well to older audiences, and I think younger audiences can find great things in it as well. So happy I saw it.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#287Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 10:30am

Thanks for the review americanboy99! Enjoyed reading your thoughts on the show! :)

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#288Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 10:46am

"“Catch Me If You Can” is a return to the classics. It’s fun, classy, charming and engaging."
I'm really glad to hear this. It's nice to know that the old-fashioned showbiz style can still work on a Broadway with so much diversity and new ideas.

peachesr
#289Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 1:38pm

I'm seeing this and Book of the Mormon next month. I think in the current climate an old school, fun, fluff musical more than deserves it's place and with such a great cast. Pleased to hear some people like it, this thread was full of such positivity at the beginning. I'm just grateful it's not another jukebox musical because the idea of sitting through Priscilla (again) fills me with horror.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#290Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 4:37pm

"I think there were 45 Kids from Ohio on a class trip who were going nuts with excitement."

And that point of that is what? What kid from Ohio wouldn't be excited to be in NYC and seeing a big splashy Broadway show. The whole experience alone overtakes the actual material of the show they are seeing. They would have been just as excited at Phantom, Mama Mia, Priscilla, and if they were still running, Legally Blonde and 9 to 5. Their reaction, while great for them, does not mean Catch Me is a good show.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#291Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 5:10pm

i think modern teenagers reacting to a very retro show with a score they have yet to have purchased or downloaded is kinda telling. Is it okay for OTHERS to enjoy this show without their judgement being always questioned in its selectivity?

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#292Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 10:51pm

Does anybody know when the official soundtrack is going to be released?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#293Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 3/31/11 at 11:03pm

According to the Sh-K-Boom website, the original cast recording and release dates are coming soon.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ReggieonBway
#294Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/1/11 at 2:56pm

'What kid from Ohio wouldn't be excited to be in NYC and seeing a big splashy Broadway show. The whole experience alone overtakes the actual material of the show they are seeing. They would have been just as excited at Phantom, Mama Mia, Priscilla, and if they were still running, Legally Blonde and 9 to 5. Their reaction, while great for them, does not mean Catch Me is a good show.'

Wow. Do you honestly believe that? My old school sent us to see Chicago back in the day, and many of the kids thought it was boring. When we went to see In The Heights, everyone loved it. If a show sucks (or just isn't interesting to the greater audience), an audience will notice it - end of story.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#295Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/1/11 at 4:29pm

A group of school kids from Ohio loving a show is certainly not what I would use as a basis for judging whether a show is good or not. Your comment actually proves my point, because IMHO, Chicago is a MUCH better show than In the Heights. And Chicago is in the top 5 longest running shows on Broadway ... In the Heights closed after a few years. So much for the fact that your classmates were bored at one and loved the other.

"If a show sucks, the audience will notice it" .. oh really? Spider-Man has its fans, so did Good Vibrations, 9 to 5, Lestat, Bombay Dreams, and a whole slew of other bad to mediocre shows (of which I include Catch Me If You Can).

ReggieonBway
#296Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/1/11 at 5:17pm

Not at all. It's entirely generational - In The Heights speaks to a different audience than Chicago does. It also happens to be one of my all-time favorite shows, so I will have to disagree with you there. I do like Chicago (who doesn't?), but I have the movie and it's good enough that I don't feel the need to ever see the show on Broadway again.

That said - the crapfests that are shows like 9 to 5, Spiderman and Wonderland are nowhere close to comparable with Catch Me If You Can. No, the show won't be taking home Best Musical, but I saw it once and I fully intend to see it again once it officially opens.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#297Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/1/11 at 5:43pm

Saw it last night and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it !!

bwayfan7000
#298Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/1/11 at 5:51pm

Who cares where they're from. Why is anyone knocking people for being excited to see a Broadway show? I'd assume that if you post here, you like Broadway shows.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#299Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/1/11 at 7:36pm

I am just curious, but has anybody seen a performance that DOES NOT have Aaron Tveit or Norbert as the leads? I want to know how the understudies are...

Videos