pixeltracker

Company Commentary Thread- Page 12

Company Commentary Thread

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#275re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:43am

I miss Tick Tock as well - and its absence diminishes the "June - April - Thank you" exchange in "Barecelona" because in TickTock, you hear Bobby's thoughts trying to remember April's name and then you get the payoff in Barcelona.

overthemoo
#276re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:43am

lots of replies....

McFan2 -- it's not about liking the music. She could have simply said that and we wouldn't have said a word back to her because we know tastes differ. But claiming a musical would be better sans music is just not a point one musical theatre fan makes. It doesn't make any sense. Someone could HATE every single song and I could care less, as I'm sure others wouldn't care either.

wickedrentq -- as I said, I am attached to Sondheim immediately so I do personally find everything of his 'hummable', but many don't, including his fans. And that is mostly due to his unconventional melodies. (Difficult melodies to recall after hearing once.) But oh how I adore them. :) After I hear a Sondheim song for the first time, I do indeed hum it. But this is not the general consensus even if one feels they can hum something of his. Even the title song is a bit difficult for some.

aliciag -- I FLIPPED OUT when I saw it was on HD! Does anybody know if Rise and Fall.. was as well? I think I watched that on it's normal PBS channel and not the HD one.

morosco -- I was thinking the same thing last night. When I see a filmed stage show with all these camera angles I feel like I should be watching a tv show or film. Or worse, a music video. But the close-ups come in handy when you want to icon/capture little moments. But yes, I'd love for dvd versions to have a separate option to watch the show from afar.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#277re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:50am

Yes, RISE AND FALL... was broadcast in HD. It looked simply delicious with all those colors (those reds). Patti's make-up was its own character seeing it in HD.

COMPANY is getting released on high definition Blu-ray disc (we all know what happened to HD-DVD). Here's hoping RISE AND FALL... gets a Blu-ray disc release as well.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#278re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:02pm

ok, I'm glad this was filmed (for broadcast) on PBS.

and when they listed all the people who brought it to you and they included "viewers like you", do I as a PBS Supporter get some of that elusive credit where credit is due Brody?

kidding.

Glad it was on and that so many could enjoy it.

and debate about its merit.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing
Updated On: 2/21/08 at 12:02 PM

Gothampc
#279re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:03pm

I enjoyed Angel Desai as Marta. I think she's the best Marta I've seen.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 2/21/08 at 12:03 PM

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#280re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:27pm

My favorite moments:

-"As a matter of fact, if you ever get divorced, I wanna' be the first to know."
"Well... you're the first to know."
"We're getting a divorce!"
(Raul's expression)

-"Just look, Bobby, I could fit my whole first down these pants!"
"Oh, please, I can do that too!"
(Raul's expression)

-"In fact, Bobby, if you ever get married, find someone just like Joanne."
"Don't ever get married, Bobby."

-"I'm a living thing too, you ****head!"

It just amazed me how emotional George Furth's book could be, considering how many people complain about it.

And I thought Angel Desai was a little too over-the-top for her own good in the book scenes (which is ironic, considering that it's the exact opposite on the bootleg of Another Hundred People on that site). But I don't want to complain, she was probably supposed to be irritating.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 2/21/08 at 12:27 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#281re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:28pm

My favorite moment in the show was always, "Did you just suddenly fall in love?" There was just so much emotion packed into that one simple question. There's also a woodwind musical line toward the end of Another Hundred People that I just adore. And of course, Bobby blowing out his candles. That's an image I will remember as long as I live.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 2/21/08 at 12:28 PM

Christopher_Acts Profile Photo
Christopher_Acts
#282re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 1:52pm

I was lucky enough to catch opening night of Company in Cincinatti.

I seem to remember Bobby having cymbals during "What Would We Do...."

Was that a Broadway tweak?

Also, I was e-mailing a colleague of mine about the performance last night.

I never noticed this, but I totally agree with her:

"Here was the most brilliant stroke of all: Barbara Walsh speaking and moving her face like a woman who's had a face lift. Sheer perfection."

And Raul...

Goodness.

sorry Emcee...but I'm going to marry him.

xoxRogue Profile Photo
xoxRogue
#283re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:00pm

Unfortunately for Brabra Walsh, whom I thought was excellent, she is playign the role originated by Elaine Stritch, and that is a tough comparison.

When Stritch got to "Everybody rise", half the house did!

I feel like I need to address this. Joanne wasn't only originated by Elaine Stritch, she was BASED on her as well. So, I mean, it would be hard for Barbra Walsh to "beat" (wrong term, but whatever) a woman who is playing a role based on herself. (Which is why it is even harder to compare them!)

For the record, I love Walsh in the role.

Other than moments already mentioned, one of my absolute favorites is at the end of "Marry Me a Little" when Fred Rose is playing the cello by himself. It's so gorgeous.

Another favorite part is with Matt Castle, during the "Have you ever had a homosexual experience?" scene. Especially the look on his face as Raul laughs him off.

Shari Lewis: Did you ever wish upon a star? Lamb Chop: I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph.
Updated On: 2/21/08 at 02:00 PM

Barihunk Profile Photo
Barihunk
#284re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:04pm

I have a question for the board cognoscenti... I played Paul in a college production of Company more years ago than I care to admit. Watching last night brought back great memories of that production and the show (I haven't heard/seen it since) - while most of it came flooding back to me, I was struck by the Act II scene with Peter and Bobby where Bobby is questioned about his homosexual experiences and the subsequent sexual tension between the two... I have no recollection of this scene. Is this an excision that was put back in? Has it always been there? Granted, the college I attended was in the mid-west and the scene might have been cut... I'm just curious. Appreciate any input.

"When you're a gay man, you have to feel good about yourself when a urologist says, "Yeah. I pick you". - Happy Endings

luvtheEmcee
#285re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:06pm

That scene was added in after the original production. I'm not sure what year, exactly, but it was added because many people felt that Bobby was likely gay, and Sondheim and Furth wanted to assert that he's not.

Updated On: 2/21/08 at 02:06 PM

luvtheEmcee
#286re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:10pm

I seem to remember Bobby having cymbals during "What Would We Do...."

Was that a Broadway tweak?

Yes, they cut the cymbals during previews in New York. The kazoo came in during previews, as well.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#287re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:16pm

Favorite parts:

- The park scene w/Raul and Kelly.
- Someone is Waiting -- my favorite song in the score
- "Kiss my ass, you son of a bitch. Oh, Jesus!"
- "But who will I take care of?"
- Anytime Joanne was there - Barbara Walsh is just incredible
- And the final "Happy birthday, Robert" with Raul blowing out the candles

violet72 Profile Photo
violet72
#288re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:17pm

I just watched a little of it at lunch again and I noticed that during Poor Baby when all of the women are around the Piano, you have to watch Heather Law's (Amy) face as she is watching them make out...she looks so jealous/wishes she was April/disgusted...it just showed how layered these performances were...it's those little nuances that each character did that made this a great show

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life. Define yourself"

Christopher_Acts
#289re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:33pm

"Yes, they cut the cymbals during previews in New York. The kazoo came in during previews, as well."

Do we know why?

I remember laughing my butt off at his reaction every time he crashed the cymbals...and I remember still having the heartbreaking moment after all the couple-solos.....

Hmmm.

luvtheEmcee
#290re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:39pm

I don't know on any kind of authority, but this is what I posted the first time I saw the change. Obviously it's just an assumption:

... the other instrumentation change I noticed is very minor, but Raul doesn't play the cymbals anymore during Side by Side by Side. At first I was bummed out, because it was an adorable moment, but also pleasing to look at -- him sort of standing atop the pyramid of people, and so forth. Instead, now he only has a kazoo solo. He stands off to the side and follows the clarinet and sax solos. It's also a bit hammy, but it works -- especially if you consider that when he played the cymbals in Cincinnati, Bobby was literally joining in with everyone else. The change makes it so that he's more hesitant -- still testing the waters, but also still on his own.

Christopher_Acts
#291re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:45pm

Just more of the symbolism in everything about this performance.

Everything has a purpose.

There is no superfluous blocking.

Every single moment has a meaning.

I love it.

Gothampc
#292re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:46pm

" was struck by the Act II scene with Peter and Bobby where Bobby is questioned about his homosexual experiences and the subsequent sexual tension between the two... "

It's been added in to the more recent productions. I don't think the scene is necessary. It opens a can of worms that the show doesn't have time to address.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#293re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:47pm

So i have been listening to the cd all day and i have come to reilize something. Besides the fact that Raul was incredible and his being alive was the most beautiful thing i have ever heard for me personally I think his Someone is Waiting is the best of any Bobby yet and for some reason his take on that song was the defining moment for me on the recording. Maybe im just kinda nuts.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

luvtheEmcee
#294re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:50pm

Just more of the symbolism in everything about this performance.

Everything has a purpose.

There is no superfluous blocking.

Every single moment has a meaning.

I love it.

Yes, exactly! That's why I totally bought into the change, even though I did miss the cymbals. Because it just made such a statement that the cymbals could not. That blocking ended up coming back, with Bobby on the block in the center of the "band," but having him do so without an instrument, only able to clap his hands and down his liquor, was way more powerful. And EVERY change was like that. Just constantly outdoing the last, and making things work better and better. Hence my devotion to the church of John Doyle.

Raul's Someone is Waiting is totally underrated. Love love love. And the orchestrations are great, too.

Updated On: 2/21/08 at 02:50 PM

Gothampc
#295re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:52pm

"Maybe im just kinda nuts."

Yes you are. Raul is a good song interpreter, but he is annoying because he allows his singing voice to go nasal.

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#296re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 3:10pm

Once again I will bring up the all too sobering thought that Raul was completely deserving of that TONY AWARD!! All those feelings of frustration have come back to me after watching it last night. He was jipped!!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#297re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 3:12pm

Someone at ATC posdted he was openly gay? I didn't know that.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#298re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 3:17pm

Lot of people on ATC are openly gay.

overthemoo
#299re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/21/08 at 3:18pm

[i]but it was added because many people felt that Bobby was likely gay, and Sondheim and Furth wanted to assert that he's not.[/i]

That seems a little ridiculous to me. I definitely don't mind the scene. And I don't feel it is any more random than other things that were discussed.

Videos