pixeltracker

"Honeymoon in Vegas" Preview Thread- Page 13

"Honeymoon in Vegas" Preview Thread

neonlightsxo
#300Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/30/14 at 10:49am

Comparing HMIV to GGLAM is not a valid comparison. Honeymoon came from a relatively high profile out of town production in Paper Mill. It has a "star" (Tony Danza) and a well known Broadway composer (who won 2 Tonys this past season.) It has a lot of hype around it in the theater community. Theoretically, it has tourist appeal. GGLAM had none of those things.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#301Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/30/14 at 11:07am

Not to mention that Vegas is a larger show than Gentleman's Guide, correct? So that would drive up the cost of this show as well.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

neonlightsxo
#302Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/30/14 at 11:19am

Definitely.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#303Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/30/14 at 9:58pm

Gentleman's Guide also benefited from having the best overall reviews of all the new musicals that opened last season. I don't think Honeymoon in Vegas will have that same advantage.

Jish
#304Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/31/14 at 1:52pm

If Honeymoon gets similar reviews to Papermill then it will certainly be the best reviewed new musical to open so far this season...

lxttech
#305Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/31/14 at 8:38pm

Attended the show last night for the last 2014 performance.

I felt overall the show was enjoyable and funny, but not perfect.

I disagree that the projections made the show feel cheap; there were plenty of physical set pieces and the projections blended well. It was fun to see how many different things emerged from the elevator. I enjoyed the lighting and costume design as well.

The staging was well-done and the choreography was energetic, if not particularly original.

JRB's music was frequently toe-tapping and I walked out humming the finale song, but I did feel that there was one too many ballads that interrupted the energy of the show. The orchestra was excellent and it was nice to see them featured for the overture and entr'acte on stage.

For a musical comedy, the book should have been funnier. The actual lines most often fell flat with the audience, while the physical bits created by the actors and the "set suprises" landed much better.

Danza was good - certainly charming - if anything was holding him back it was his singing voice.

Rob McClure was excellent and Nancy Opel was hilarious. I also enjoyed Brynn O'Malley; I think creative is to blame for the lack of character development in Betsy. David Josefsburg was also very good. Leslie Donna Flesner's showgirl is hysterical and I watched her consistently during the show. Ensemble members Raymond J Lee, George Merrick, and Catherine Ricafort had fun moments throughout and it was nice to see them featured as well.

Definitely not a deep show, but if you want an entertaining performance you'll get it!

neonlightsxo
#306Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 9:14am

"If Honeymoon gets similar reviews to Papermill then it will certainly be the best reviewed new musical to open so far this season..."

I have a feeling it won't. Critics will say it lost something between Paper Mill and Broadway, which many have said. And also, they haven't made any efforts to improve the show via cutting or writing new material.

RW3
#307Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 2:04pm

I just saw Honeymoon's TV commercial on Logo. It was okay at best.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#308Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 3:44pm

Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews

They changed their logo! Kind of.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#309Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 3:46pm

I don't see how the new logo is an improvement over the old one. I think the older one is more fun.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#310Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 3:59pm

They've actually made the logo worse.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#311Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 4:03pm

Their logo from the Paper Mill run was the best they've had.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#312Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 4:10pm

That new logo was made on a Intro to Photoshop course.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#313Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 5:15pm

That looks appallingly amateurish.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#314Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 5:15pm

Another bad move on changing the logo as it does nothing to improve the image for this show as the original was far superior and stands out! Thoughts on why the change from the marketing team 2 weeks prior to opening after previewing 2 endless months.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/2/15 at 05:15 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#315Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 5:33pm

Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews

Paper Mill poster Updated On: 1/2/15 at 05:33 PM

temms Profile Photo
temms
#316Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 5:43pm

Millburn, NJ is part of Broadway now?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#317Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 5:44pm

That's the best of the three! But it could still use a flying Elvis or eight.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#318Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/2/15 at 9:24pm

If they wanted to accurately represent the show, a third of the poster would be Hawaii.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

stevie3
#319Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/3/15 at 2:01pm

That's true, a lot of us liked the Hawaii part of the show. Saw it again last night. This show is good, good, good If critics like it it will be a monster come May and June

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#320Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/4/15 at 12:50am

Very generic rom-com musical. I was barely awake throughout.

That said, I attended with friends who never attend theater....and they enjoyed it. I suppose that speaks well for future out of town sales...maybe? Though, they did find it mildly racist.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#321Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/4/15 at 1:10am

Changing the Papermill logo makes as much sense as a 2 month preview period.

Poster Emeritus

Noel&Cole
#322Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/4/15 at 2:59pm

This show just seems unable to excite. It's rather surprising given the fun easily sellable subject matter and good reviews. I'm surprised it's not doing better. Could the producers be to blame? Not for it not being a hit…no one can make that happen… but shouldn't this be in the 400's and 500's. Not the 300's.

My heart goes out to this show.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#323Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/4/15 at 3:46pm

It seems as if the producers are relying on Brantley's rave review in the Times from the Papermill tryout as it does not seem to be helping the show out during the 2 endless months of previews so yes blame the producers and marketing!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#324Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/4/15 at 9:49pm

Is this the same marketing team used for Bridges.

The Last Ship has putrid marketing bordering on nearly invisible.

Poster Emeritus

Videos