pixeltracker

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions- Page 13

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#300Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/14/16 at 1:47pm

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Hamilton creative team doesn't like medleys (maybe in a story about the Grammy performance). I'd love to see Hamilton do The Room Where it Happens, it's such a stellar number. Schuyler Sisters would be great too. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

neonlightsxo
#301Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/14/16 at 1:58pm

"My Shot" is the obvious choice, but it would need to be trimmed.

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#302Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/14/16 at 2:11pm

I like the idea of 'Non-Stop' but like someone mentioned it's too long.  Maybe if they found a good spot to start it, it could work.  I guess 'My Shot' is the better option. 

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#303Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/14/16 at 4:51pm

I would LOVE to see them do The Room Where It Happens - to me, it's the most thrilling moment in the show. (I know it's blasphemy to say so here, but I don't really love My Shot at all.)

Re: supporting actor, I second the support behind Isaiah Johnson in Color Purple. I love Jonathan Groff, and thought he was great in Hamilton, but I'd like to see Johnson get the nomination. Having seen most of the (potentially) nominated shows, my hope for that category is Gavin Creel, Daveed Diggs, Christopher Fitzgerald, Isaiah Johnson, and Billy Porter.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#304Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/14/16 at 5:31pm

JudyDenmark said: "I would LOVE to see them do The Room Where It Happens - to me, it's the most thrilling moment in the show. (I know it's blasphemy to say so here, but I don't really love My Shot at all.)"

'My Shot' is OK, but it's really more of a collection of different melodies than one solid song,whereas 'Room Where it Happens' is one single melody from start to finish.  I'd like to see RWIH myself, it's a great song, shows off the choreography and dancers as much as it does the stars (and LMM, Diggs, and Oak would still be in the number), showcases how the show combines history and jammin' tunes, and it seems to be getting some media attention (Meryl Streep recently referenced it in a talk).

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#305Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/14/16 at 6:15pm

woeisme3 said: "I doubt Groff will be nominated- he's barely in the show."

He isn't in the show at all.

Does anyone else ever see the post from page 1 of this thread that mentions Hamilton losing steam? I always think it's hilarious!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Broadwaystar2
#306Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/14/16 at 7:36pm

woeisme3 said: "I doubt Groff will be nominated- he's barely in the show.

"

People have won Tony's being on stage less time. So this is false! 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#307Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 2:26pm

When do they typically release the list of performers at the Tonys? I'd like to see if Shuffle Along, Spring Awakening, and Color Purple are showing up or not.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

JudyDenmark
#308Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 2:40pm

Valentina3 said: "When do they typically release the list of performers at the Tonys? I'd like to see if Shuffle Along, Spring Awakening, and Color Purple are showing up or not.

"

In large part it depends on who gets nominated, which we'll know on May 3rd. It's all but guaranteed that Color Purple will perform. There's a pretty good shot at Spring Awakening as well. Even though it's closed, it will most likely get a Best Revival nomination, and since they're planning a national tour it would make sense to promote themselves with a Tony performance. Best Musical is a much more competitive category (unless you're Hamilton), but I think Shuffle Along has a more than solid shot at it, and frankly I can see them doing a performance even if they don't get the Best Musical nomination as they'll likely get acting nominations. 

neonlightsxo
#309Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 2:47pm

Not so fast, re: Spring Awakening. Performances on the Tonys cost money. Consider they did not recoup, how much money do they even have left?

JudyDenmark
#310Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 2:54pm

Don't know. But if I were them, and I got a Best Revival nomination and was planning a tour, I'd perform.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#311Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 2:55pm

It's not so certain that they'll be nominated. I think they should, they may very well be edged out.

Also, even if they are nominated, and even if they had recouped, the cast has presumbly all gone their separate ways. I think many of them were not based in NY, and they might not be able to fly out here just for the performance. 

Updated On: 4/15/16 at 02:55 PM

JudyDenmark
#312Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 2:58pm

Those are all fair points, but who would they be edged out by? Color Purple, She Loves Me, and Fiddler are locks, otherwise the only two other eligible shows are Spring Awakening and Dames at Sea. There's always a chance that they could just go with three nominees, but I think with the strength of SA's critical reviews (and the fact that so many people really loved it), they'll give them the nom. 

neonlightsxo
#313Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 2:59pm

JudyDenmark said: "Don't know. But if I were them, and I got a Best Revival nomination and was planning a tour, I'd perform."

OK. Where's the money coming from for the tour?

Updated On: 4/15/16 at 02:59 PM

JudyDenmark
#314Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:03pm

Unfortunately I am not their financial advisor, so I don't feel comfortable making budget decisions for them, lol. I'm just going based on what I think. The Tonys are incredible marketing for an audience across the country that will be buying tour tickets. If I were them, I'd figure out a way to make it happen. (And based on hearsay and press, it seems like that was one of those shows that was really a life-changing experience for everyone involved. I can see them wanting to get the cast together for a Tony performance, as a labor of love if nothing else.)

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#315Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:06pm

JudyDenmark said: "Those are all fair points, but who would they be edged out by? Color Purple, She Loves Me, and Fiddler are locks, otherwise the only two other eligible shows are Spring Awakening and Dames at Sea. There's always a chance that they could just go with three nominees, but I think with the strength of SA's critical reviews (and the fact that so many people really loved it), they'll give them the nom. "

See, that's where your confusion is. Because there are only 5 eligible revivals, there will most likely actually only be 3 nominees, not 4. Check out this clause from the Tony rules:

"Where there are five or fewer eligible shows in a Best Show category, at the Tony Nominating Meeting, the Nominating Committee will be instructed to cast one vote each for three eligible shows as nominees on his/her secret ballot. Such ballot shall be collected and tabulated by a representative of the Accounting Firm. The three eligible shows with the highest number of votes will automatically be designated as the nominees in such category. A fourth nominee shall be added to the category in the event that the Accounting Firm determines that the difference in votes between the third highest-ranked show and the fourth highest-ranked show is three votes or less."

It certainly could happen that there will be 4 nominees (and I hope there will be for the sake of Spring Awakening), but the default is 3. 

Updated On: 4/15/16 at 03:06 PM

pupscotch
#316Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:06pm

I hope Spring Awakening gets a Best Revival nomination, having seen both, I'd put it in over Fiddler, personally. However, to those saying they didn't recoup their investment, wasn't the show a non-profit? I don't know much about how it works to recoup with a non-profit, would anyone care to explain? 

JudyDenmark
#317Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:09pm

JBroadway said, "See, that's where your confusion is. Because there are only 5 eligible revivals, there will most likely actually only be 3 nominees, not 4. Check out this clause from the Tony rules:"

Ugh, I totally forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder. Well, fingers crossed that it works out for them anyway. (And I agree, I'd pick Spring Awakening over Fiddler in a heartbeat, even though I'm sure that won't happen.)

Updated On: 4/15/16 at 03:09 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#318Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:11pm

So which songs do you think the various shows will perform?  Which songs would you like to see?

I'm interested to see what She Loves Me chooses. It seems like the title song or Vanilla Ice Cream would be good choices, but they're both just one performers. 

The title song seems like the most obvious choice for the Color Purple.  

For School of Rock, I'd guess Stick it to the Man. 

If On Your Feet performs I wonder if they'll do the Conga and get people up as they do in the show. 

Hamilton is SO HARD to say. Most of the other things they've done have highlighted the opening song and My Shot but neither is my favorite. I agree non-stop would be a good choice of they could trim it. Or maybe Yorktown?  Right-Hand man?   The Room Where it Happens would be great but it's really just Burr singing.  Would love to see the ladies begin lighted in Schuyler Sisters (and it is a New York anthem after all). And of course my favorite songs are Wait for It and Satisfied but those again seem less likely since they don't involve as much of the company. So in other words any of the songs would make me happy. 

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#319Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:17pm

I personally hope The Colour Purple does I'm Here, to show off Cynthia's powerful performance with a shorter version of the title song after that!

JudyDenmark
#320Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:23pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "The Room Where it Happens would be great but it's really just Burr singing."

You think? It's such a production number, to me. Big ensemble dance piece, many of the leads represented in some way, great build, exciting theme... that'd be my choice, anyway. I don't want them to do a medley.

I assume Fiddler will do Tradition, though To Life was easily my favorite in the show.

She Loves Me is tough - I think they'll have to do a medley. 

I'd like to see Waitress do She Used to Be Mine as a duet with Jessie Mueller & Sara Bareilles. Add some harmonies. :)

And for sure, I hope Color Purple does the finale version of the title song.

Updated On: 4/15/16 at 03:23 PM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#321Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:24pm

Title song for Color Purple isn't an obvious choice. They did Hell No a decade ago, with the original. I wonder if they'd use the opportunity to give Heather some exposure. I know national audience could use familiarity with Cynthia - since her win is (hopefully) inevitable, so "I'm Here" would be my pick.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#322Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:27pm

If Jennifer was still there, I am almost sure they would do Push Da Button or The finale

JudyDenmark
#323Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:27pm

I can see them doing the title song only because they widely released it as their promo song before the show came out (in the US). I've always thought they'd do that version at the Tonys to show off J-Hud and Cynthia equally, though now that J-Hud is leaving, who knows. I still love it, though. The vocal arranging is so stunning, particularly in the ensemble. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#324Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:34pm

Some of the ideas I thought of for this year's Tony performances are:
Bright Star: The Sun is Gonna Shine Again
The Color Purple: I'm Here/The Color Purple (Reprise)
Fiddler on the Roof: Sunrise, Sunset/Wedding Dance
Hamilton: My Shot
School of Rock: You're in the Band
Waitress: She Used to Be Mine

Videos