pixeltracker

Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL- Page 13

Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL

broadwayboy223
#300Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 10:16pm

I'm not convinced she's pregnant. And if she is and that is the reason she got "fired" that's kind of pretty ****ty.  

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#301Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 10:18pm

She's not pregnant.

broadwayboy223
#302Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 10:27pm

Betsy is one of the sweetest and most talented people. I just feel so sad that apparently she's been let go from frozen and carousel. I hope she gets her chance :/

GeorgeandDot
#303Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 10:34pm

I don't think she was fired or let go from Carousel.  She was fired from Frozen, apparently because she wasn't what the director wanted (he wanted to go with someone with 0 singing technique.... just sayin).  I really hope the best for Betsy.  She's immensely talented.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#304Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:14pm

"he wanted to go with someone with 0 singing technique.... just sayin"

Caissie Levy is a consummate performer with 5 Broadway credits (which is roughly 5 more than you have) and yet she has "zero singing technique"? At least try to be a bit more honest. This is just bs. Caissie didn't fire Betsy. You don't even know if she was actually fired, it's all just sensationalized gossip. This board really goes off its rockers sometimes.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#305Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:19pm

I think Cassie is a better choice for Frozen. Love Betsy, but Cassie does have a darker quality to her. 

GeorgeandDot
#306Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:19pm

Valentina3 said: ""he wanted to go with someonewith 0 singing technique.... just sayin"

Caissie Levyis a consummate performer with 5 Broadway credits (which is roughly 5 more than you have) and yet she has "zero singing technique"? At least try to be a bit more honest. This is just bs. Caissie didn't fire Betsy. You don't even know if she was actually fired, it's all just sensationalized gossip. This board really goes off its rockers sometimes.
"

Yes I'm aware that Caissie has been on Broadway quite a lot, but it doesn't mean that she has very good technique.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#307Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:27pm

GeorgeandDot, I can understand being upset Caissie replaced Betsy, but to go so far to say Caissie doesn’t have any technique is proposperous. Caissie has such a stunning refined voice. Betsy is equally as great, but in a much different way. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#308Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:28pm

Serious question - what's your background in singing? Wanting to understand where the Caissie has "zero" singing technique comment came from, unless you were just being facetious.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#309Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:32pm

I adored Caissie in Hair and I think she sounds fantastic in the "Let It Go" bootleg that's been floating around. But to GeorgeandDot's credit, she was a pretty terrible Fantine and a so-so Elphaba. It's false to say she has "zero" singing technique, but GeorgeandDot isn't wrong in saying that her style isn't flawless.

Betsy is pretty flawless though, IMO.

Updated On: 9/26/17 at 11:32 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#310Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:33pm

Betsy Wolfe has a very good voice, but it's one I never thought was particularly well suited for Elsa (and the video floating around of her singing the song in some concert confirmed that for me). Caissie Levy, on the other hand, has that kind of voice. Whatever her shortcomings as an actress are (she doesn't sssm to bring much depth to anything she does), she certainly has a voice that's much better suited to that style of singing. 

broadwayboy223
#311Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:38pm

Caissie has a good voice. No one is disputing that, but yes her technique is not the best. I'm going to be interested to see how she holds up during her time in Frozen. Also random side note but I really think they need to change the last note in Dangerous to Dream. When she hit it, it honestly sounded like she out was out of key until the orchestra kicked in like 10 seconds later. 

GeorgeandDot
#312Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:57pm

You'd be surprised by how much I know about singing and I can tell you that Caissie has an extremely untrained sounding voice due to poor technique.  I'm not saying this to be petty just because she got the role over Betsy, I'm saying this because it's true.  I'm not sure that Caissie will be able to keep a Broadway schedule with her current technique.  Caissie has a pretty voice, but certainly not a healthy voice.  She may not have *zero* singing technique, but she has very little healthy technique.  I'm pretty sure that you can tell that I didn't LITERALLY mean she had absolutely no technique at all.  All I'm saying is that the rumor was that the director replaced Betsy because he thought that she wasn't pretty enough (total BS) and that she couldn't belt (even more BS), so I find it ironic that he cast an actress who has been known to have a voice that can't hold up for 8 shows a week.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#313Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:00am

Cassie looks more like the cartoon.

I mean this in a good way.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#314Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:15am

Okay, but Betsy literally looks like the cartoon.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#315Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:18am

Levy has more edge. That's the reason she was cast over Wolfe. That's what Grandage wanted. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#316Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:21am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Okay, but Betsyliterally looks like the cartoon.

"

It’s the EYES

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#317Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:30am

GeorgeandDot - I see your point. I have always found Caissie's voice to be formidable, and I hope she has a vocal coach who helps her keep that instrument safe. I still think it's unfair to bring up Caissie in every "Betsy was fired" discussion. It wasn't her call or her fault, no more than it was RoXy Andrews' fault when other queens kept her on until the finale of All Stars 2.

GeorgeandDot
#318Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:35am

Valentina3 said: "GeorgeandDot - I see your point. I have always found Caissie's voice to be formidable, and I hope she has a vocal coach who helps her keep that instrumentsafe. I still think it's unfair to bring up Caissie in every "Betsy was fired" discussion. It wasn't her call or her fault,no more than it was RoXy Andrews' fault when other queens kept her on until the finale of All Stars 2."

I just want to clarify that I never said it was Caissie's fault.  It's not.  I brought her up briefly and suddenly found myself in a discussion about her.  I'd be pleased if we could move on to something else.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#319Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:15am

Agreed, Cassie just has edge. I mean look at "First Daughter Suite" that they were in together. Betsy played the  perfect bride, and Cassie was the edgy sister. Makes sense. Both are great vocalists, but comes down to edge. 

SchuylWERKsister Profile Photo
SchuylWERKsister
#320Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 3:02am

broadwayboy223 said: "Actually she is a high belter. She sings in a very strong and healthy mix which is the proper way to sing."

CindersGolightly said: "I can't believe you just said Betsy Wolfe isn't a high belter."

If Betsy Wolfe is a high belter than what are we calling people like Eden Espinosa, Adrienne Warren, Stephanie J. Block, Alice Ripley, Cynthia Erivo, Betty Buckley?

Like I said, that's not where her voice sits and there is no shame in that. There's a high demand for it in musical theatre right now and Betsy may be able to pull off and navigate that part of her voice sometimes, but that is not the best part of her voice. Sorry. That's not a diss, but how much you like someone can't supersede fact. Clearly talented woman, not a crazy high belter, and that's okay. Her voice is much more suited for something like Carousel.

It's a touchy subject because musical theater composition is so unkind to women's voices, but not leading with belting isn't a failure.

Updated On: 9/27/17 at 03:02 AM

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#321Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 8:04am

RippedMan said: "Agreed, Cassie just has edge. I mean look at "First Daughter Suite" that they were in together. Betsy played the perfect bride, and Cassie was the edgy sister. Makes sense. Both are great vocalists, but comes down to edge."

That’s Betsy Morgan, not Betsy Wolfe. Agreed that Cassie does edgy well though — that pool sequence was all her for basically 20 minutes. I hope “edgy” doesn’t translate to “without reason” in acting — in the movie, Elsa leaves mostly to protect others, and blames herself. I’d hate for it to end up being “I left because I felt like it, eff these people”

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#322Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:01pm

Speaking of “First Daughter Suite”, I’ll bring it up again that Cassie kept her voice in stellar shape for the whole run. I love Rachel Bay Jones, but if the cast, she was the one screaming her voice away on the fourth segment. I think Cassie’s technique is fine in comparison - the third vignette was just her singing for 30 minutes, and it was always wonderful.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

ladypresent
#323Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:08pm

i love that you all have this much time to debate this subject. 
and they say millenials don't have drive and ambition. 

GeorgeandDot
#324Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:13pm

SchuylWERKsister said: "If Betsy Wolfe is a high belter than what are we calling people like Eden Espinosa, Adrienne Warren, Stephanie J. Block, Alice Ripley, Cynthia Erivo, Betty Buckley?"

Ummmm, I would also call them high belters.......

Updated On: 9/27/17 at 12:13 PM

Videos