pixeltracker

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread- Page 13

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread

Globefan
#300WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 9:42am

BroadwayBen said: "I went last night to see it in hopes of then seeing it again after it opens to see what the changes are. Its the morning after, and I'm still not quite sure what to think. Its bold and singular and you can't take your eyes off of it. It's like watching a master painter or sculptor at work, and its sort of mesmerizingas they go about it. Is it all successful? That's the tougher part. For as much as you're riveted, you're never really moved. The show starts as an obvioustragedy and ends like a obvioustragedy. Its the same tone all night. You don't really connect with the characters because you can't stop watching the world they are in and focus on who they are. The costuming with the video and the lighting is such that for the most part you don't know the sharks from the jets -- even after an opening that gives you massive "close ups" of each. Once they blend, they blend. The choreography is interesting,with "Cool" being the stand out. It got the biggest applause of the evening -- when we were allowed to applaud, that is. But like the rest of the show, no character is built through dance; it's all a moment-to-moment thing. I personally found most of the extreme video odd, but again, its makes an impact and you can't take your eyes away. I thought it was really weirdto the actors to have them sing, dance, act and do effective camera work. Some are more confidentthan others at being on camera, and it gets a little amateur indie backyard film at times. There were also some times that the street montages and the city scenescompletely take away from the show and you really lose the musicality of the show. The images are so big, so powerful, you have nochoice but to watch them and ignore the stage. The Anita/Maria duet is overwhelmed by what's behind it. The Krupke sequence is a video polemic that goes directly to today's politics. (That was the number where the people behind me left. From their chatter, they were related to police officers.).I think right now its sort of WSS "a play with video and music" and not WSS the musical. And you have to take it on those terms, and sometimes on those terms it is sort of thrilling. I think the biggest challenge they have right now was that at the end of the show, there wasn't a tear in the house. I think when WSS is done well, you can really feel the tragedy and that doesn't happen here. You're heart doesn't break as the kids make one mistake after another, and that was what I missed most. But when you read about the original WSS, the audiences were stunned and didn't know what to make of it, and that is alsothe case here. There's so much new to creating a musical here, that its hard to know what you're seeing sometimes, and I suppose that's a good thing. If in the original, Robbinsused dance in a way audiences had never seen in a musical before, this team is using video in the same way, and its fascinating. It will be interesting to see how they continue to shape it. I will definitely go back. And it was full."

They have plenty of time still to work out all the kinks. 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#301WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 11:49am

They have plenty of time still to work out all the kinks."

Wha???  Are they reimagining it?

Globefan
#302WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 11:55am

Skip23 said: "

Wha??? Are they reimagining it?

Yes they are. It's set in present day rather than 1957. 

"

Cfried
#303WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 11:58am

Was at last night’s performance and found this production astounding and a gorgeous reinvention of WSS. Definitely a polarizing revival but I loved it and am still thinking about it. I hope to be back soon and can’t wait to read reviews.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#304WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 11:59am

Globefan said: "Skip23 said: "

Wha??? Are they reimagining it?

Yes they are. It's set in present day rather than 1957.:

I think Skip was saying that unless they re-imagine it again (from what they're currently doing), they production won't be able to work out its "kinks," because Skip did not personally enjoy the production at all. 

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#305WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 12:02pm

Liked it, didn't love it.  Costumes are just awful, like something futuristic.  Having heavy drama play essentially off state and accessible by just video just really disconnected me from the drama.  

What do they do if there is an understudy?  Have they filmed this vignettes multiple times to account for change in cast?

Didn't like the way Maria was directed.  She comes across flirty and Maria should be reserved and shy at first.  She needs to evolve and I don't think she does in this production.  This Maria wouldn't sing "I Feel Pretty."  It is for a girl who has been protected and somewhat of a wallflower up until the dance and this Maria was no wallflower.

Couldn't tell the difference between Jets and Sharks.  They all blended.

SPOILER ALERT:

And I hated the staging of Tonight.  No balcony scene??  And how heavy handed was each sides "pulling" of Tony and Maria as they reached to kiss?  Subtle much?

Updated On: 12/20/19 at 12:02 PM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#306WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 1:28pm

Anshel, if what you say about the direction for Maria is correct, we now know the real reason "I Feel Pretty" isn't sung in this production. LOL

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

SeanMartin2
#307WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 1:54pm

Wait a minute. This all sounds like a reheated version of the one the Komische Oper in Germany did in 2014.

SeanMartin2
#308WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 3:17pm

Sutton Ross said: "It basically is!"

It does make you wonder how much he... uhm... lifted from that production for this one.

The Komische production was amazing, by the way: two and a half hours of raging testosterone, with performers who were incredible to watch. I dont know if there's a full video out there of it, but I hope so. I left the theatre exhausted. 

Impossible2
#309WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 4:28pm

So first we accuse Ivo of repeating the same theatrical tricks and tropes over and over again and now we are to believe that he has stolen his entire style from some random German theatre company?

Ok...

SeanMartin2
#310WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 4:40pm

Impossible2 said: "So first we accuse Ivo of repeating the same theatrical tricks and tropes over and over again and now we are to believe that he has stolen his entire style from some random German theatre company?

Ok...
"

The Komische is hardly "random". Maybe you should learn a bit about these things before posting about them? Just a suggestion, you understand. I mean, I realize you're a whiz-kid when it comes to film financing and now opera history, but... y'know.... maybe research a bit?

Sheesshhh.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#311WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 4:43pm

Hahahahaaa 

For those interested, here are more photos of that production. They start half way down the page.  

link

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#312WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 5:35pm

I think what some people may not realize is that European directors often have very similar approaches to theatre as each other - at least compared to more traditional American theatre. Things like modern dress, live-stream video, stripped down staging, drastic re-interpretations of texts etc. are all trends that are very common in European theatre. I find that a lot of productions I see from European directors - including Van Hove - often feel kind of the same as each other. And I actually don’t think Van Hove is particularly special, he’s just only of the only European directors who has gained popularity in the US.

The real test, IMO, is not what European directors will do with certain material, but rather, how well does the material lend itself to the European approach to theatre. In this case, I think Van Hove picked material that worked well with his style to make for an interesting production. But I’m not at all surprised that someone else in Europe has already directed WSS in similar, non-traditional style, and I don’t necessarily think that means Ivo lifted anything. Because that’s just often how European productions are,

Impossible2
#313WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 5:37pm

JBroadway said: "I think what some people may not realize is that European directors often have very similar approaches to theatre as each other - at least compared to more traditional American theatre. Things like modern dress, live-stream video, stripped down staging, drastic re-interpretations of texts etc. are all trends that are very common in European theatre. I find that a lot of productions I see from European directors - including Van Hove - often feel kind of the same as each other. And I actually don’t think Van Hove is particularly special, he’s just only of the only European directors who has gained popularity in the US.

The real test, IMO, is not what European directors will do with certain material, but rather, how well does the material lend itself to the European approach to theatre. In this case, I think Van Hove picked material that worked well with his style to make for an interesting production. But I’m not at all surprised that someone else in Europe has already directed WSS in similar, non-traditional style, and I don’t necessarily think that means Ivo lifted anything. Because that’s just often how European productions are,
"

Thank you x

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#314WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 5:42pm

Anshel2 said: "What do they do if there is an understudy? Have they filmed this vignettes multiple times to account for change in cast?

Didn't like the way Maria was directed. She comes across flirty and Maria should be reserved and shy at first. She needs to evolve and I don't think she does in this production. This Maria wouldn't sing "I Feel Pretty." It is for a girl who has been protected and somewhat of a wallflower up until the dance and this Maria was no wallflower.
"

You do realize that 90% of the video footage is captured live, right? The only pre-filmed material are the slow motion outdoor shots. All of the interior book scenes are captured live.

And maybe that’s why they cut “I Feel Pretty”? To give Maria more confidence and a stronger place to start from. I loved how flirtatious and carefree she was. It was so refreshing.

Globefan
#315WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 7:15pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "Anshel2 said: "What do they do if there is an understudy? Have they filmed this vignettes multiple times to account for change in cast?

Didn't like the way Maria was directed. She comes across flirty and Maria should be reserved and shy at first. She needs to evolve and I don't think she does in this production. This Maria wouldn't sing "I Feel Pretty." It is for a girl who has been protected and somewhat of a wallflower up until the dance and this Maria was no wallflower.
"

You do realize that 90% of the video footage is captured live, right? The only pre-filmed material are the slow motion outdoor shots. All of the interior book scenes are captured live.

And maybe that’s why they cut “I Feel Pretty”? To give Maria more confidence and a stronger place to start from. I loved how flirtatious and carefree she was. It was so refreshing.
"

I like your take on why I Feel Pretty got cut. 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#316WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 11:14pm

Caught this this week having never seen a production before. I absolutely loved it. It’ll divide everyone, and who knows what the critics will think. But as I see it, if you want to see a “traditional” WSS, watch the movie or go to any local high school. This is the reason theatre exists, and is the only way the art form moves forward.

The only element that didn’t work for me was the orchestrations. It felt very out of the world of the play to have this swelling orchestra playing 50s musical theatre. Wish they had gone the OK! route and totally reworked it.

The direction, choreo, and singing were the highlights for me. It all felt very raw and grounded while being a bombastic spectacle. As most will note, the biggest downfall of the night is the lovely singer playing Maria, who’s acting falls a bit short - especially with what Ivo asks of her in the finale.

I have very little interest in seeing a “full” production. The cut of the show had me on the edge of my seat the entire time, almost like I was watching a thriller. It was invigorating and breathed so much life into it. I know people think it takes liberties with the material too far but it didn’t effect me, and I don’t think people should take it personally. It’s a new point of view. You can not like it, but rejecting and throwing it out is the core of our problems today. Maybe Ivo making a WSS as divided as our country is today is exactly what he wanted - or what we needed. 

Updated On: 12/20/19 at 11:14 PM

tstan
#317WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 11:32pm

Was just at tonight's show...LOVED IT. THE RUMBLE WAS EVERYTHING. On a sadder note, pretty sure Issac Powell seriously injured himself tonight. He looked like he was in pain and had to be helped off stage during bows. Curious to see if an understudy goes in tomorrow. 

BroadwayMarley
#318WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/21/19 at 11:51am

Any update on Isaac Powell's possible injury after last night?

trpguyy
#319WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/21/19 at 1:02pm

“ The only element that didn’t work for me was the orchestrations. It felt very out of the world of the play to have this swelling orchestra playing 50s musical theatre. Wish they had gone the OK! route and totally reworked it.”

Not for lack of trying - the Bernstein estate will not allow new orchestrations.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#320WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/21/19 at 2:24pm

Isaac is out of today's matinee. Jordan Dobson went on as Tony. 

Globefan
#321WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/21/19 at 2:29pm

trpguyy said: "“ The only element that didn’t work for me was the orchestrations. It felt very out of the world of the play to have this swelling orchestra playing 50s musical theatre. Wish they had gone the OK! route and totally reworked it.”

Not for lack of trying - the Bernstein estate will not allow new orchestrations.
"

I'm sure it'll be seamless in the end, where it won't stand out that the orchestrations are old. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#322WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/21/19 at 2:30pm

New Interview Sparks New (& Resurges Old) Controversies At 'West Side Story

https://www.dancenetwork.tv/Catalog/Post/772/new-interview-sparks-new-resurges-old-controversies-at-west-side-story

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Globefan
#323WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/21/19 at 2:35pm

LuPita2 said: "Isaac is out of today's matinee. Jordan Dobson went on as Tony."

Was he good? 

IHeartNY2
#324WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/21/19 at 2:55pm

@VotePeron, happy you enjoyed the spectacle of it all.

Videos