News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.- Page 13

SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#300SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/27/24 at 10:26pm

https://youtu.be/6Fv_PjOSGzk?si=Yj5-xHxaaIe99X87   This Australian Joe Gillis is v e r y easy on the eyes.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#301SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/28/24 at 1:08am

BrodyFosse123 said: "SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury"

Rubbish. They should be working on her voice not her calves.
Without SB there would have been no SB. Australia has many who can play that role so share it.
Good luck Sydney---if it gets there. Send MsB home and open with Sylvie.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#302SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/28/24 at 3:02am

This has been an absolute disaster. Again so hilarious to think that people actually were suggesting this production and star should have been on Broadway. Embarrassing. At the same time, this has now become an absolute cult theatre badge of honour. To say you have seen "Sarah Brightman" in Sunset will be one of those rare events like seeing the original production of Carrie. The only thing I'm truly sad about is I don't know if Jordan actually saw her yet? I hope for your own sake you do. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Listener
#303SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/28/24 at 3:28am

I feel like Sarah will return for the final performance just for the whooping and hollering. She's too proud to hide away, defeated, and let that be the story. She'll want to control the narrative for the sake of legacy.

I highly doubt there is any injury, except to her pride.

It's honestly a shame they didn't just stick to local talent for this and find a new belting Norma because the sets, score and costumes are all good.

I also hope Jordan gets to see it, for all those of us who can't.

Updated On: 6/30/24 at 03:28 AM

SweetLips22
#304SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/28/24 at 10:01pm

Her brother is the one protecting her, very controlling, and keeping all the press away.

Ensemble1716440075
#305SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/28/24 at 10:22pm

SweetLips22 said: "Her brother is the one protecting her, very controlling, and keeping all the press away."

You say this like you're in the know. How do you know?

SweetLips22
#306SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/28/24 at 11:52pm

I have a few friends involved in different sections of all things theater and with this train wreck there is no bottle that the lid is not unscrewed without some gossip escaping.

Ensemble1716440075
#307SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/29/24 at 8:13pm

I'm not sure the entire thing is a train wreck. There has been complimentary comments about the cast and the production. Just Sarah's involvement has really been ripped.

Jarethan
#308SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/29/24 at 9:46pm

Ensemble1716440075 said: "I'm not sure the entire thing is a train wreck. There has been complimentary comments about the cast and the production. Just Sarah's involvement has really been ripped."

But if Norma is an embarrassment, what’s the point?  SN is Norma!

SweetLips22
#309SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 1:24am

My apologies[train wreck] to everyone else in the company as there has been nothing but glowing reports to everything but.....
I won't share any more T [and there is lots] as it isn't healthy. I just hope Sunset can keep from setting as long as possible with all the other incredibly talent people involved.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#310SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 1:49am

? Why is there so much Brightman dislike? 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#311SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 2:13am

Read the comments…that’s why. 

Listener
#312SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 3:01am

JBradshaw said: "? Why is there so much Brightman dislike?"

I don't think there's anyone personally gunning for her ... it's just that there were obvious issues with casting her from the start and this outcome was avoidable if she and her people had figured out how to handle it before moving ahead.

Its a shame, honestly. I for one hoped she'd tear into it as an acting challenge.

How was she during the begging/screaming scenes?

ReticentDivaStan
#313SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 6:15am

SweetLips22 said: "My apologies[train wreck] to everyone else in the company as there has been nothing but glowing reports to everything but.....
I won't share any more T [and there is lots] as it isn't healthy. I just hope Sunset can keep from setting as long as possible with all the other incredibly talent people involved.
"

As a dedicated fan who was explicitly encouraged to still go, I can’t wait for the tea to spill.

Updated On: 6/30/24 at 06:15 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#314SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 6:17am

JBradshaw said: "? Why is there so much Brightman dislike?"

Huh? Her questionable casting was always the discussion - can she handle SUNSET BOULEVARD? There was never any dislike of her it’s just many felt she was over her head attempting the role of Norma Desmond and once performances began, all the speculation turned out to be true. As it’s happened many times before, she was not a good fit with the musical as a whole. 

sr4mjc Profile Photo
sr4mjc
#315SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 6:21am

Is there a chance she doesn't open Sydney at all? I have a friend who is flying down under specifically to see her in this. I think the second or third show. If so, hopefully there will enough notice to change his plans.

BorisTomashevsky
#316SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 9:24am

sr4mjc said: "Is there a chance she doesn't open Sydney at all? I have a friend who is flying down under specifically to see her in this. I think the second or third show. If so, hopefully there will enough notice to change his plans. "

As it’s been almost a month with no performances from Brightman, and several “She’ll be back tonight!” announcements during that time, my theory is that she’s actually left the country, and the producers know it.

They’ll eventually tell the public that Brightman won’t be back, but to “please support the alternate and don’t ask for refunds.” Seems like they’re trying to lessen the loss by delaying the announcement of Brightman being permanently GONE, as the rush of refunds for the weeks ahead would be truly expensive. 

It will be a difficult moment to face, but it’s coming. I’d love to be a fly on the wall during producer meetings and phone calls. 

(I may be wrong, and I haven’t heard from anyone “inside” - this just seems like where the whole thing is heading).

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#317SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 9:36am

While I do agree with that, it’s even stranger that the very day the news articles broke;m, the show put out that new video using Brightman’s singing to advertise the shows Sydney run, ending with the image of her and her name so they ARE selling tickets for that based on her still doing it. 

And personally, I’d like some confirmation ASAP because I still want to see her do this. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#318SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 10:07am

I think that the old girl will pull it together and not miss her closeup!  (at least for a bit)

Jarethan
#319SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 11:35am

I think this whole thread reads like the plot of a movie about a past-her-prime diva (who could never act in the first place) preparing to star in a revival of SB, to disastrous results, leading her to go insane in the last scene.  Ony the best scenes from the musical SB would actually be in the movie...and those scenes would be with the very talented younger but still age appropriate replacement performing the musical numbers, as the diva imagines that she is about to go on for her next performance.  Maybe that's how we will get at least some of SB in a movie.

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#320SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 11:52am

Jarethan said: "I think this whole thread reads like the plot of a movie about a past-her-prime diva (who could never act in the first place)preparing to star in a revival of SB, to disastrous results, leading her to go insane in the last scene. Ony the best scenes from the musical SB would actually be in the movie...and those scenes would be with the very talented younger but still age appropriate replacement performing the musical numbers, as the diva imagines that she is about to go on for her next performance. Maybe that's how we will get at least some of SB in a movie."

I can see it now, Sunset BLVD the Musical: The Show: The Movie. 

Ensemble1716440075
#321SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 6/30/24 at 9:51pm

What new video? Referenced in one of the above comments that didn't show up as quoted.

Updated On: 6/30/24 at 09:51 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Listener
#323SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 7/1/24 at 12:11am

Well, she's still in it!

BorisTomashevsky
#324SARAH BRIGHTMAN - injury
Posted: 7/1/24 at 12:37am

Listener said: "Well, she's still in it!"

For ticket sale purposes, sure. In practical terms she hasn’t been in it for weeks. 

Videos